Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Books and Miscellaneous Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A new day yesterday by Mike Barnes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A new day yesterday by Mike Barnes
    Posted: March 04 2020 at 15:36
I received my copy of this book about 2 weeks ago and i'm about 1/3rd of the way through it. Its a weighty tome that's for sure and I don't want to make any comments on it until i'm finished but I wondered if anyone else has read it through yet and has any thoughts or observations?

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2020 at 19:45
Just got mine today and at 600 pages it's going to take a while as I'm already reading Sid Smiths King Crimson book and the recent Henry Cow book. I've heard nothing but good reports about it.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2020 at 14:57
Yes, im about half way through! I'm enjoying it but having read lots of books on the bands and artists mentioned there is a relatively limited amount of new information which I guess, is to be expected.. there IS only so much information that can be found or recycled on these bands. I like the fact that he doesn't mind knocking the odd sacred cow (Robert Fripp for example who, despite what some might think or say, is only human after all). Obviously his own personal taste colours which bands get the most attention and a few (Barclay James Harvest and Renaissance and to some extent the Moody blues) get a bit of a poor show- Robert John Godfrey gets a more positive profile from the BJH piece than the band! There are a few typos and minor spelling mistakes that should have been picked up. The piece on Henry Cow was great (but ive not read the Henry Cow book) and apart from my minor nit-picking quibbles i'm finding it a very enjoyable read! 

Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2020 at 16:16
I have it in my "to read," stack.  I'm about 100 pages yet to read in Sid Smith's book....I may read a fantasy in between, just to clear my palate.  
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2020 at 14:54
Hi, apologies for not putting an up-date on the book; finished it a couple of weeks back and meant to write a slightly more detailed piece but with everything that's happened of late its just not happened (I laugh at those who say 'you'll have time to write a novel or learn a new craft'.. ive just got more work on the farm/ garden to do and less help to do it!).. to be honest, i'll probably read it again as I actually got through it pretty quick.

My main impressions were very much as I mentioned earlier... too many typos and things that should have been picked up in proof reading and a bit of inconsistency in the way different bands/ themes were explored (which I put down to the authors personal tastes, maybe..) otherwise a very enjoyable read as a series of essays on the  bands and the context of the time period set out in the title. 

I do like the photo of the girl blowing bubbles at the festival on the front cover... sigh!

Adger View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2020 at 08:08
Truly, a page-turner, indeed! Most of "prog books" are quite average but Mike Barnes' A New Day Yesterday is a must read!
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cactus Choir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2020 at 12:30
I'd certainly recommend the book and it'll be difficult for anything to surpass this 600-page epic in being the definitive account of the "classic" era of UK prog rock from the late 60s to mid/late-70s. Most of the sub-genres get a decent amount of space though I get the impression the author has a preference for Canterbury and this gets a lot of the attention. Notable omissions from my point of view included Argent and Uriah Heep, and folk prog also appears a bit short changed with barely a mention of the likes of Comus or Trees.

Barnes has a nice, under-stated and wryly humorous writing style and the book is an easy read despite its length. He obviously likes prog, but isn't a total fanboy and can be critical when the need arises. As mentioned above there are some annoying typos and repetitions but that didn't spoil my enjoyment too much. There are plenty of interviews, including with people who aren't around anymore, and these are interesting in showing how the genre came about and developed the way it did.

Apparently a huge amount of material was cut from the final book and I'd definitely buy it if he publishes an out-takes edition.

Edited by Cactus Choir - June 24 2020 at 12:54
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
 Post Reply Post Reply