Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steven Wilson The Future Bites First Single

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steven Wilson The Future Bites First Single
    Posted: March 12 2020 at 07:04
Steven Wilson has reveled his 6th solo studio album will be titled the future bites. It appears to be an anti consumerism concept album notably targeted at brands like supreme that charge outrageous prices for anything with their logo slapped on it. Today March 12th 2020, he’s released the first single “Personal Shopper.” It’s clear this album is likely going to be very electronic and pop/disco. This song is just under 10 minutes and is a good chunk of the albums 40 minute runtime.

I didn’t like to the bone, but I actually quite like this song. Sure, it isn’t prog, but it’s well produced and catchy. I like how it has that pop groove while still feeling quite dark. It def sounds like Steven Wilson still. You can listen on all streaming platforms and I assume YouTube.

Edited by dougmcauliffe - March 12 2020 at 07:06
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2020 at 07:39
Just listened to it. Yuck yuck yuck! Don't like the techno dance beat (electronic drums?). When he sings falsetto it is cringeworthy. The song is way too long, 9:49. The spoken word sections are weird. The non-techno parts sound exactly like his older material. No doubt he is trying to be different, but this is not prog, not good, and not for me. 

portugal View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote portugal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2020 at 07:44

Electronic beats! Its not bad! But I would prefer more creative drums, combined with these beats. In this case, we have Craig Blundell’s flat and monotonous drumming, imho

prog rules
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2020 at 08:06
Fun fact, Elton’s John is the voice on the spoken word sections
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2020 at 08:09
Ermm

I don't dislike it, if it makes sense...
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2020 at 10:21
Listening to it right now and parts of the music, unlike the vocals, remind me of the Up The Downstair / Sky Moves Sideways / Signify years of PT. Others parts sound nothing like PT's music from that era.

Somewhat remarkably (I guess) I like it. 
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Mudpuppy64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mudpuppy64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2020 at 11:38
I Liked it
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2020 at 11:41
I liked it as well.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2020 at 13:34
Not surprising to see a majority who like it. SW could record an album of farts and his fans would hail it a masterpiece. Good for him.

It has a one star rating on PA. How can you rate before something is released?

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - March 12 2020 at 13:36
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2020 at 14:01
It's not too bad, musically and creatively I think its rather good. I too am not a fan of his Prince wannabe falsetto vocals, very much a disco beat to it, EDM. Harken back to a Giorgio Morodor style of writing and production.
The topic of the song is forgettable as is the spoken word stuff.

I just pre-ordered the album, signed vinyl version from Burning Shed due out in June.
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2020 at 14:38
My reaction after listening once: New Order did this decades ago and did it better.
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2020 at 16:51
Looks like another pass for me.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2020 at 18:31
If this is considered "futuristic", then Steven Wilson nearly had the title right with "Future Bites". Did he consider a better title as "Future Blows"?
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2020 at 03:09
I enjoyed it, it a mix of old PT + TTB + Jamiroquai.

It's a shame that the other tracks are 4 minutes long at maximum and the album clocks at 40 minutes (could've been 45 or 50, IMO perfect length)
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2020 at 04:35
Originally posted by Deadwing Deadwing wrote:

It's a shame that the other tracks are 4 minutes long at maximum and the album clocks at 40 minutes (could've been 45 or 50, IMO perfect length)

what's TTB short for? 
Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2020 at 04:41
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

what's TTB short for? 

To The Bone (last Steven Wilson album)
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2020 at 04:47

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

what's TTB short for? 

To The Bone (last Steven Wilson album)

I thought it's a band or something LOL
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kotro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2020 at 05:01
Sounds like a mix of early PT (my favourite era) and industrial music from 10-20 years ago.

I don't dislike it.
Bigger on the inside.
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2020 at 09:48
THE FUTURE BITES details available here

The first single dropped yesterday, named after one of SW's favourite movies:

Whatcha think? Loving it so far, but 5 mins would've been enough (the song doesn't really go anywhere past this mark, just repeats itself). The rest of the tracklist has shorter cuts though
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2020 at 10:18
couldn't find the thread in discussion forums - who would've thought it's in PRESS RELEASES of all places sorry for double posting
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>