Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is your favorite genesis song lyrics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is your favorite genesis song lyrics
    Posted: March 17 2020 at 07:42
What is your favorite song lyric from genesis. So if you had to read the lyrics as poetry which song would be the best
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2020 at 07:49
I always liked the lyrics to The Lamia. A bit dark, but also very poetic and beautifully descriptive.

Honourable mentions to Fountain of Salmacis, Ripples & One for the Vine.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
A Bard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2020 at 07:51
I total agree with you Peter Gabriel’s rhymes flow like butter in that song
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2020 at 08:09
Mad Man Moon is a nice simple poem---not too abstract but very nice.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2020 at 09:29
I like the lyrics to Carpet Crawlers, absolutely no idea what they mean though.
A Bard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2020 at 09:34
i know whats carpet crawlers is about. It about how people try to follow the dreams/ goals given to them. They are like babys that don't know what they want to do with their lives. if you don't find this explanation good you can go here https://songmeanings.com/songs/view/1641/   
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2020 at 11:49
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I always liked the lyrics to The Lamia. A bit dark, but also very poetic and beautifully descriptive.

Honourable mentions to Fountain of Salmacis, Ripples & One for the Vine.
These. I’d throw in White Mountain, Dusk, Carpet Crawlers and Mad Man Moon too. Entangled, yes. Maybe I’d move that to the top right under the Lamia.

A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2020 at 11:54
Oh, Blood on the Rooftops is another honorable mention.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2020 at 02:11
Two have already been mentioned (Carpet Crawlers and Blood On The Rooftops) but The Knife always appealed to me lyrically as well.
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2020 at 06:03
Blood on the Rooftops
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2020 at 06:05
Blood on the Rooftops.
Ripples
A Bard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2020 at 06:54
Is Land Of Confusion  The sequel to Blood on The Rooftop 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2020 at 10:32
Watcher of the Skies and Firth of Fifth
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2020 at 14:42
Originally posted by A Bard A Bard wrote:

Is Land Of Confusion  The sequel to Blood on The Rooftop 

I hope not Wink
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 02:01
Home By The Sea is an awesome, novel story.

Supper's Ready is like an acid trip dosed incorrectly.

The Battle of Epping Forest, for me, is the most visual description of "WTF is happening" that Peter Gabriel ever penned IMHO. I think this is why so many hate it, besides how long a track it is LOL. Imagery overload! Short fat tuxedo wearing men climbing up trees with sling shots full of acorns, local businesses settling vendettas, a clean up crew and the rich judges showing up by limo too late to find only "goo" remaining, lmao.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 07:58
Mad Man Moon..

'Within the valley of shadowless death
They pray for thunderclouds and rain,
But to the multitude who stand in the rain
Heaven is where the sun shines.
The grass will be greener till the stems turn to brown
And thoughts will fly higher till the earth brings them down.
Forever caught in desert lands one has to learn
To disbelieve the sea.'
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 09:26
The Chamber of 32 Doors
A Bard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 09:57
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Home By The Sea is an awesome, novel story.

Supper's Ready is like an acid trip dosed incorrectly.

The Battle of Epping Forest, for me, is the most visual description of "WTF is happening" that Peter Gabriel ever penned IMHO. I think this is why so many hate it, besides how long a track it is LOL. Imagery overload! Short fat tuxedo wearing men climbing up trees with sling shots full of acorns, local businesses settling vendettas, a clean up crew and the rich judges showing up by limo too late to find only "goo" remaining, lmao.

I never tried to picture The Battle of Epping forest. I couldn't get plot of it. I know its a gang war that takes in epping forest    
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 10:10
Originally posted by A Bard A Bard wrote:

I never tried to picture The Battle of Epping forest. I couldn't get plot of it. I know its a gang war that takes in epping forest    

Well that's pretty much it.
DevilsInTheDetails View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DevilsInTheDetails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 10:42
Supper’s Ready
Mad As A March Hare
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>