5 [22.73%]
3 [13.64%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [13.64%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kansas - The Absence of Presence
    Posted: March 21 2020 at 02:45
It's hard for me to determine what to expect from the title of Kansas new album "The Absence of Presence" (according to RYM)   and since nobody has heard a note yet, I was wondering based on the title what style you expect, what direction Kansas will take ? Tongue I understand nobody has a crystal ball but I'm just curious in what you vote for. 

Edited by Enchant X - March 21 2020 at 03:24
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 02:50
if it's like the previous one, i'm good Big smile
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 05:31

Great news! Where can one pre-order?

Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 06:09
Going with slightly progressive.

Welcome to the middle of the film.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 07:02
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

if it's like the previous one, i'm good Big smile
Me too.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 07:19
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w-YbUbL_tQc&feature=youtu.be

The album cover can be seen in this video, it looks like this one is gonna be a progger
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 09:35

Nice to see that Tom Brislin will be the keyboard player on this album. He has previously played live with Yes, Camel, and Renaissance, and now is in Kansas - four of my favourite bands he's been in!

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 10:41
Perhaps it will be a tribute to Led Zeppelin consisting of Led Zeppelin covers from all but one of Zep's albums. So somewhat of a related to a prog related album perhaps?

Presence was one of Zep's proggiest, methinks, so to leave it out, I'm just not sure.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 18:39
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w-YbUbL_tQc&feature=youtu.be

The album cover can be seen in this video, it looks like this one is gonna be a progger
Thanks for sharing this link, the new album cover looks amazing and the video itself very informative. Tongue

Edited by Enchant X - March 21 2020 at 18:42
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2020 at 12:31

“The Absence of Presence,” released by Inside Out Music, features nine all new tracks written by the band, produced by Zak Rizvi, and co-produced by Phil Ehart and Richard Williams. KANSAS’s signature sound is unmistakable throughout. The album showcases Ronnie Platt’s towering vocals, David Ragsdale’s searing violin, Tom Brislin’s dazzling keyboards, Williams and Rizvi’s electrifying guitar riffs, Ehart’s powerful drums, and Billy Greer’s rocking bass.

Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2020 at 01:19
http://www.insideoutmusic.com/artist.aspx?IdArtist=432  (The Albums Cover art, click on it to make it bigger for more detail)   Tongue

THE ABSENCE OF PRESENCE
JUN 2020
Ltd. Deluxe CD+Blu-ray Artbook, Ltd. CD Digipak, Gatefold black 2LP+CD & Digital

Edited by Enchant X - March 23 2020 at 04:30
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2020 at 16:59
Being it's Kansas, I expect it not to be very good. ;) 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2020 at 19:01
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Being it's Kansas, I expect it not to be very good. ;) 
If it's anything like the last one I'll be happy. Tongue
foregonillusions View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foregonillusions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 12:49
Here's a large version (almost 18MB!) of the cover art: www.kansasband.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/TAOP-Vinyl-front-cover.jpg

Edited by foregonillusions - March 24 2020 at 12:50
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 13:11
While my Led Zeppelin joke unsurprisingly dropped like a lead balloon -- a lead zeppelin one might even say -- I'd say that cover indicates a pretty progressive album, perhaps in the vein of Eloy. It also does bring to mind earlier Kansas covers. My guess is that it will be a not terribly progressive album in the truest sense, but more of a Symphonic Prog/ AOR crossover kind of album (nothing really re-inventing the wheel so to speak or out there). I expect it to be on the melodic rock side, not really experimental, quite possibly with some hard rock aspects (maybe a ballad in there). It would cool if this is a completely new direction, but that would be doubtful as Kansas is probably too long in the tooth to reinvent itself as, say, Kansas Mark 2: A Jazz Odyssey. Then again, Kansas did name an earlier album "Always Never the Same".

I'm just guessing as someone who doesn't listen to Kansas (tried various things and owned one album), but I've often thought that you really can very often judge a book by its cover.

EDIT: SO I voted for the "It to be AOR & progressive" option, but not meaning progressive in the sense of advancement so much, and by AOR I refer to forms of melodic rock.

Edited by Logan - March 24 2020 at 13:21
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 13:31

It is of course impossible to say what an album is going to be like from only the title and the cover art. The last album was good, but I think the upcoming one might be even better. Especially as this line-up, with slight changes, have had a chance to mature. And some young blood incorporated into the band as well; Tom Brislin is very talented. So, given that Kansas is one of my favourite bands, I'd say I expect it to be very good indeed.

dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 14:02
That cover art is sweet, might be better without the Kansas logo tbh
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 20:29
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

That cover art is sweet, might be better without the Kansas logo tbh
yes nice cover art I think you are right about the logo .. maybe better had the logo just been on the spine, but still the cover looks great even if it has Kansas logo on it. Tongue  
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2020 at 00:54
Just looking at the cover art I’d say that it is an upcoming space rock album. More than anything it looks psychedelic.
This may just turn out to be the Kansas album that won me over
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gr8dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2020 at 09:30
Samples on Kansas' facebook page.
Shake & bake.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>