Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Retro Prog ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote softandwet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Retro Prog ?
    Posted: March 29 2020 at 12:04
Shall progarchives add another category for prog albums or band that imitates elder styles such as the classical prog one (just like Wobbler, Ring Van Möbius or All Traps On Earth) since there is a category for Avant-Prog? And if it's made, how would it be named?
So don’t evade the surgeon’s blade
Cos the answer could be in your mind
Maybe one cut and we’ll find
We’re just a wavelength behind

But we are entwined

And I know what you need
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2020 at 12:33
I honestly don't care much about labels. If I like the music, I'll get it, buy it and listen to it. The label that comes with it, is quite irrelevant to me.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2020 at 12:48
I don't see much utility in creating a Retro Prog category as I don't think it would be that descriptive and would then encompass acts from lots of our existent categories (such a mish-mash of styles).

I have retro symphonic prog, retro "progressive" electronic, retro Krautrock, retro Canterbury Sound, and retro Prog Folk in my collection. Much so called avant-prog is not genuinely forward thinking, avant-garde, innovative or originative anymore than much progressive rock is genuinely progressive. Some could, oxymoronically, be called retro-avant, but then Retro progressive, or regressive progressive also presents a contradiction in terms.

If we could multi-label albums, then I'd be down with retro as a descriptor.

Edited by Logan - March 29 2020 at 13:45
Just a fanboy passin' through.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2020 at 13:52
The subgenres that are already in place seem to encompass all of the styles of progressive rock that are out there.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2020 at 14:11
^ We seem to be able to find a place for everything we generally want. One could add hundreds of extra descriptors for albums if we had the ability (punk, art rock, alternative, chamber, pop/ avant pop, experimental generally, classical, indie, exotica, library music, Andalusian has been suggested, retro, theatrical, operatic, disco etc.)

My main issue with not having retro prog as a category is that one can find retro in so many of the categories here, and so it would't point to a style, but instead many flavours of retro (say retro JRF, retro Electronic, retro Canterbury, retro Prog Folk, retro Heavy, retro Symph, and even retro Avant Prog etc.) So, Retro Prog isn't a style per se, it encompasses many styles.

Edited by Logan - March 29 2020 at 14:19
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2020 at 17:48
Over-categorization is a trap.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2020 at 17:56
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Totally. Like how far do you take it lol.
softandwet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote softandwet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2020 at 19:27
Ok I see but I forgot to mention it but since there is a Neo-Prog category that argue to produce something different than before, I don't understand why we couldn't label retro-prog the bands and albums that are assuming to recreate old prog and bring back its bases.
So don’t evade the surgeon’s blade
Cos the answer could be in your mind
Maybe one cut and we’ll find
We’re just a wavelength behind

But we are entwined

And I know what you need
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2020 at 01:58
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

My thoughts exactly.

It's essentially infinite regress/categorical dissolution posing as organization.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2020 at 02:55
Bands that are considered retro-prog are generally put either in Symphonic or Eclectic. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2020 at 06:55
No because retro doesn't describe anything about the style of prog it is

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 02:04
It's up to reviewers to call out if they consider any of the music admissible to this site as derivative or not. I can't see the benefit of creating a sub genre that is defined by a characteristic detrimental to its content. Retro Futurism anyone?
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 05:34
Personally think it would be a pretty arbitrary label and I don't see any reason why a clearly symphonic album like Wobblers latest effort shouldn't be compared to other albums like it in the Symphonic prog category.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 05:41
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

No because retro doesn't describe anything about the style of prog it is
Indeed.

And if we're honest 95% of the prog being produced today is "retro" to one extent or another, regardless of sub-genre. I mean even the notionally forward-looking sub-genres...how much of what is being done in RIO/avant sounds rather like bands that were "avant" in 1979, for example...?

Edited by Mascodagama - March 31 2020 at 05:42
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 07:34
^ i wouldn't go that far. Retro prog does have a specific meaning. It refers to a style of prog that acts like it was recorded in the 70s with analog equipment and basically takes the styles of artists from that era and tweaks it around enough to sound new often sounding like a long lost album from a classic band. If we had the luxury of a secondary categories then it wouldn't be a bad category to have so i can see why softandwet suggested it but given the way PA is an all or nothing in the classification of sub-genres, it fails to distinguish retro symphonic from retro heavy or even retro avant-prog.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 21:16
Originally posted by softandwet softandwet wrote:

Ok I see but I forgot to mention it but since there is a Neo-Prog category that argue to produce something different than before, I don't understand why we couldn't label retro-prog the bands and albums that are assuming to recreate old prog and bring back its bases.

Well, Neo-Prog is something of a misnomer and outdated term, which isn't to say that I think we should get rid of he term as some suggest. It was a sort of, originally British, symphonic prog revival of the 80s that is associated with a more melodic rock and commercial approach that tends to be dramatic and emotional, and it moved on a bit from there. It's sort of the Emo of Prog, one might say. ;) It had retro qualities mixed with more modern styles, and some of it could be quite, or in fact very, derivative. I wouldn't think of it as a particularly progressive (in the adjectival sense) category. Quite a lot of it I think of as a sort of Crossover Prog.

We can ourselves label bands and albums as retro, I do, but I don't see much utility in the category as this site works unless it becomes a very considerable movement (there is a lot of retro being made). Some of my favourite modern bands and albums are retro. I love Kosmischer Läufer which pretends to be Krautrock/ Progressive Electronic (Kosmische) of the past. I added a band to prog Folk a while back called Constantine which is very retro and evokes the psychedelic, folk, and raga-rock scenes of the late 60s through early 70s. I've suggested Klaus Morlock informally for PA, and that music pretends to be of the past (imaginary soundtracks). I like De Lorians in Canterbury Sound (not scene), and it has retro qualities. And then you have the retro styling of bands such as The Flower Kings and lots of others.

My issue is not with the label retro, more that Prog is not exactly one thing as we use it at PA -- there is such diversity in the categories themselves, and so it might end up being a mish-mash of retro styles, be it retro-Folk prog, retro-Krautrock, retro psych, retro-Symph, retro-electronic, retro-Canterbury etc. If Prog were more of a style itself as we use it at PA, then the category would make more sense to me.

We don't have the ability to label (and multi-label) albums as they do at sites such as rate your music, or to put a band here in more than one category, but we can mention the retro qualities in the bios and reviews themselves.

Edited by Logan - March 31 2020 at 21:20
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 21:25
hmmm.. I'll take Retro Prog for 1000 Alex...

what is music that sucks balls and whose only redeeming quality is it makes Celine Dion sound progressive...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 02:21
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

hmmm.. I'll take Retro Prog for 1000 Alex...

what is music that sucks balls and whose only redeeming quality is it makes Celine Dion sound progressive...

while I agree a few bands immitating the sound of prog's glory days sound bland, too predictable, you are exaggerating. 

There are many bands that are quite enjoyable, fun to listen to. Just go and listen to the last Needlepoint album, I dare you. Big smile
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 03:41
I’d argue that most bands featured on PA fits in nicely within a retro-prog umbrella. Most symph, neo, psych, electronic hell even avant bands are riding waves that were surfed wildly on some 30 or 40 years ago.
Just because you are drenching your instruments in contemporary effects and such doesn’t necessarily mean that you’re doing something ‘new’

In essence? Retro-prog is not a useful tag imo...even if we’re referencing a certain retro-sound like the vands mentioned in the OP...but these bands fit in just fine in folk, psych, symph, eclectic whathaveyou. No need for more boxes
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
zakka View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zakka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 05:15
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

^ It refers to a style of prog that acts like it was recorded in the 70s with analog equipment and basically takes the styles of artists from that era and tweaks it around enough to sound new often sounding like a long lost album from a classic band.
Exactly! I got to the forum only last night. But my humble vote for the tag "retro prog". I was surprised that on such a respected resource as PA there is no special tag for designating prog rock the most similar to spirit 69-79. Yes of course 'prog' and 'retro prog' they can't be true genres, because of their eclecticism. But it just makes it easier to find. If I want to listen to something new in the spirit of the 70s, I could use the 'retro prog' tag. Modern 'prog' tag absolutely does not reflect the essence of '70s prog' imho.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>