Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
49 [51.04%]
47 [48.96%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 02:07
I grew up with Foxtrot, but today I live with Dark side.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 02:46
685 more PA members had sufficient cause to rate DSOTM (1973) than Foxtrot (1972) so maybe that might tip the scales? Either way, no-one can claim this poll question is objectively any more crassly asinine than any other poll question.

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 03:17
I reckon this question is the acid test for prog psychology lesson #1. I consider DSOTM a pop record and not deserving of its place in the list. Anybody who argues against this should consider the glaring fact. DSOTM is loved by Ceņine Dion fans, Foxtrot is not...I rest my case M'lud...
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 03:20
^I love both but since you put it that way: Floyd it is
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 03:21
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

I reckon this question is the acid test for prog psychology lesson #1. I consider DSOTM a pop record and not deserving of its place in the list. Anybody who argues against this should consider the glaring fact. DSOTM is loved by Ceņine Dion fans, Foxtrot is not...I rest my case M'lud...

ok, please stop with the exaggerations. I get it, you prefer Genesis to Pink Floyd, and Foxtrot to DSOTM. This does not mean you need to insult all those who think otherwise. 

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 03:32
It is a matter of justice don’t you see that Cristi?
Barney knows the truth and is currently trying to showcase it to the rest of us plebs.
Music after all is not subjective.. prog splendour and indeed the merits of the genre are very much written in stone.
Folks like you and me merely read the wrong stone tablets
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 03:49
Dark Side >> Everything Else

Dark Side is an album that I always go back to, and don't change the station if its on the radio.  Even if its Money for the 10,000 time.   Foxtrot is a great album but... 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 04:20
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

685 more PA members had sufficient cause to rate DSOTM (1973) than Foxtrot (1972) so maybe that might tip the scales? Either way, no-one can claim this poll question is objectively any more crassly asinine than any other poll question.

Agreed. But they are fun. I think these competitions reach us on some kind of primitive level, otherwise, they're quite silly.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 04:27
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

Foxtrot by a vast margin

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 04:29
oh, you're just playing devil's advocate by evening up the score. Wink
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 04:35
No I openly despise DSoTM and have made several threads on said topic; have you forgotten? Lol.

Here was my most popular!: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=114220

Edited by Frenetic Zetetic - April 01 2020 at 04:36

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 05:14
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

No I openly despise DSoTM and have made several threads on said topic; have you forgotten? Lol.

Here was my most popular!: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=114220

Good. Its not that I dislike it? I like the one track...its just that I am objectively stumped on why it is considered so important....The emperor is fookin naked you wimpling zoop buckets...

Edited by M27Barney - April 01 2020 at 05:15
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 05:29

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Good. Its not that I dislike it? I like the one track...its just that I am objectively stumped on why it is considered so important....The emperor is fookin naked you wimpling zoop buckets...

so because you dislike the album and do not understand why so many people find it important, must be all those people are wrong or something Confused

Good one. 

You take fanboyism to whole new levels...
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 06:16

The emperor is fookin naked you wimpling zoop buckets...

Good name for a 'Nun themed' Floyd tribute band.... who interpret DSOTM in its entirety on chromatically tuned buckets
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 07:14
Hi,

DSOTM ... is a record for the ages that also set new recording standards for quality and design. At that time GENESIS was nowhere near that standard.

As far as the "music" in both albums, I find it a bad comparison and discussion. Tongue
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 07:41

One can, however, despise Celine Dion and still love DSOTM more than Foxtrot. Ask me.  You can consider DSOTM whatever you want, it isn't a pop record to me and never will be. 
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 08:25
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

One can, however, despise Celine Dion and still love DSOTM more than Foxtrot. Ask me.  You can consider DSOTM whatever you want, it isn't a pop record to me and never will be. 

To take another angle...Genesis Abacab is pop and not prog and is popular outside of prog parameters. I extend my theory to incņude the 1973 DSOTM. Just because it was in the peak of prog does not make it prog...if your parameters allow for inclusion into prog then you must also allow every feckin well produced pop album into the genre...and the box is opened and the wave form is broken...
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 08:31

To take another angle...Genesis Abacab is pop and not prog and is popular outside of prog parameters. I extend my theory to incņude the 1973 DSOTM. Just because it was in the peak of prog does not make it prog...if your parameters allow for inclusion into prog then you must also allow every feckin well produced pop album into the genre...and the box is opened and the wave form is broken...

how is DSOTM pop music? enlighten us/me...
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 08:35

I don't see what Abacab has to do with this.  It's a straight up 80s pop album and of a particularly dated/grating variety, not classy and sophisticated like Donald Fagen's Nightfly or Prefab Sprout's Two Wheels Good.  Why, I'd take Hounds of Love over 80s Genesis easily.  

DSOTM on the other hand is a ROCK album with a very wide sonic palate and plenty of experimentation that goes well beyond the confines of its 'non prog' rock peers like Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin.  What it misses in prog terms are long track lengths (but Gentle Giant doesn't have that either), odd time sigs and extended instrumental sections (unless you count a long bluesy saxophone solo followed by a long bluesy guitar solo in Money).  DSOTM is not POP from any standpoint, irrespective of how prog or not it may be.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 08:42
I couldn't care less or mind if Dark Side of the Moon is considered a kind of pop music (it is popular music, and it depends how one defines the term -- many words are flexible, including pop and prog). I'd call Dark Side of the Moon an art rock album. I don't consider an album to be superior to another just because one is quintessentially Prog and the other isn't. If you were to ask me who is the superior composer, Roine Stolt, since I know Barney likes The Flower Kings, or Bach, I'd say Bach in a heart-beat. I like a great deal of non-Prog, I dislike a great deal of non-Prog, I like a lot of Prog and I dislike a lot of Prog.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>