Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I don't like Neo Prog, change my mind

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote softandwet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I don't like Neo Prog, change my mind
    Posted: April 03 2020 at 17:55
I am waiting for you...
So don’t evade the surgeon’s blade
Cos the answer could be in your mind
Maybe one cut and we’ll find
We’re just a wavelength behind

But we are entwined

And I know what you need
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 18:02
I got nothin.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 18:21
I don't even know what Neo-prog is.........so no need to wait for me.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 18:21
Nah you're right, no need to change.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
softandwet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote softandwet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 18:58
I was not expecting that lmao

But we are entwined

And I know what you need
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 19:02
Originally posted by softandwet softandwet wrote:

I was not expecting that lmao

Don't worry, the neo fans will be here soon enough. Just be patient.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 19:26
Don’t blame you. I like Road Of Bones and Misplaced Childhood and I leave it at that.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 19:57
Have you heard Sanguine Hum, The Psychedelic Ensemble, Frost*, Subsignal, or Sylvan?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 20:14
I rather liked an album included in the Neo-Prog category, Marc Ceccotti's Sometimes Around Saturn, but I'm not a fan of Neo-Prog. It is a divisive genre, but then so are favourites of mine such as RIO and Avant Prog, Krautrock, Kosmische generally, Indo-Prog/Raga Rock and Zeuhl. I don't expect people to like or try to like that which I like, but I am happy when I manage to recommend something that does appeal and am even happier when I get a recommendation that appeals. À chacun son goût. :)

By the way, with the way that you phrased the topic, it can come across like you might not be the kind of person to give Neo-Prog recommendations a fair hearing. Like it's framed as a challenge to others, when I would hope that this is a sincere desire to challenge yourself, which is being approached with an open mind and ears, a booty ready to shake (if that's your thing), and with a positive attitude. Then maybe the recommendations will be more likely to work for you.

I know I like to try to step out of my comfort zone now-and-then. I'm not the one to help, but I wish you all the best of discovery.

EDIT: It would help if you would list, with some diversity, your favourite kinds of music/bands/albums. There is diversity in all of the categories here, and recommendations work best when tailored to a person's individual tastes. At least say something about the qualities of music that you like and don't like, otherwise it's going to be a crapshoot.

Edited by Logan - April 03 2020 at 20:43
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 20:18
Honestly, why should we care? Give it a try and if it doesn't float your boat, sail on, amigo!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 20:20
I think the "Neo-Prog" category is becoming a bit of a grab-bag term anyway. There's already sort of a difference in how it's defined here as opposed to on Wikipedia. On Wiki, it includes bands from the 90s symph revival bands like Spock's Beard, Flower Kings, etc. And even on this site, I feel like the lines have been blurred. I listened to albums by Airbag recently, which is listed in Neo-Prog. Sounds NOTHING like any of the other Neo-Prog bands the sub-genre was initially pioneered by. I think it belongs in Crossover to be honest. And that's to say nothing of how bands change over time. The honored progenitors of the sub-genre, Marillion, IQ, Pendragon, and the like, sound very different in the 80s and 90s than they do now. Try comparing Fugazi to F.E.A.R., or Tales From the Lush Attic to The Road of Bones. Almost a different band for each example. I know I'm not really doing anything to change your mind, and I don't really care. Your opinions are yours to keep and I respect your attempts at edginess on this site. But I don't even know how Neo-Prog is defined nowadays.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 01:34
Neo Prog? That's the band that did Light Side of The Sun record, correct? Cool

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 01:44
I generally don't like Neo but I'm a huge Pendragon fan so that would be my recommendation, in the past decade or so they moved away from their classic Neo sound with a fuller and heavier sound, still being melodic and emotional, I advise to go for Pure .
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 03:06
We don't know what Neo-Prog you've heard genius, convince yourself.Ermm
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 03:14
Well, it's not a genre which is renowned for its obscurity or the esoteric nature of its appeal. People don't generally scratch their head over it for years and then eventually see the light; it's fairly accessible music and what you hear is what you get. If you don't like what you hear then it's probably best to just move on.

Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 03:14
I can suggest : Pendragon, I.Q. , lArena, Marillion etc. but if you don’t like them now, you’re not gonna like them ever.... and
softandwet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote softandwet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 04:48
I think I don't like Neo Prog because it is way too outdated and has a very 80-90ish sound : too much clearness, a lack of emotion, a digital sound (not an analogic one). This is definitely not my cup of tea for a 70's prog lover as me but the fact is that I don't dislike 80's and 90's music but I like it punk, so the Neo Prog domain is maybe too Pop for me, too clean. I don't know. But I feel like making a mistake when I see the high ratings of Neo Prog albums such as IQ's, Marillion's or Flower King's.

But we are entwined

And I know what you need
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 04:52

I am waiting for you...

I don't have to change your mind about anything music related, we all have different taste, like different things.

Why don't you like neo-prog? What have you listened to that made you dislike it?
Maybe you started with the wrong band, wrong album, some godawful stuff, every subgenre has them.

For example I love Marillion, whether it's with Fish or Hogarth and a few other bands, but I haven't discovered a good neo-prog band in years, these days I just listen to the ones I like and I'm glad when a neo band I enjoy releases something new, like Pendragon did recently.

Edited by Cristi - April 04 2020 at 05:25
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 04:56

I think I don't like Neo Prog because it is way too outdated and has a very 80-90ish sound : too much clearness, a lack of emotion, a digital sound (not an analogic one). This is definitely not my cup of tea for a 70's prog lover as me but the fact is that I don't dislike 80's and 90's music but I like it punk, so the Neo Prog domain is maybe too Pop for me, too clean. I don't know. But I feel like making a mistake when I see the high ratings of Neo Prog albums such as IQ's, Marillion's or Flower King's.

we posted in the same time.
Thanks for explaining why you dislike it.

You are making no mistake, it's perfectly fine not to like it, no harm done.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 05:05
Check out Somewhere but Yesterday by Citizen Cain . It's so good that it's not even labeled as Neo Prog on PA.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>