20 [40.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [4.00%]
2 [4.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First three Rush albums
    Posted: April 09 2020 at 18:24
I was tempted to toss in 2112 but I figured that would too easily beat the others. 
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2020 at 18:53
Close call but I think Fly By Night is most consistent.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2020 at 19:54
Caress of Steel takes my vote. 
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2020 at 20:47
I absolutley love the debut album. Caress of Steel is a close second

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2020 at 21:39
Caress by a decent margin. FBN is more focused but I think it's experiments aren't as enjoyable. Caress is a perfect album to relax with on a sunny day.

Not knocking the debut, but it isn't one of my favorite Rush albums.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2020 at 21:46
FBN, but pretty much a pass on the lot. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2020 at 23:05
FBN for me also, although Caress is really close and first album is fun listening when you don“t listen it too often. Great you don“t put 2112 in this, it would have been really boring poll. Have there been 2112 - a Farewell to Kings - Hemispheres poll (or 2112 - Hemispheres poll because I think one of those two will will, although Farewell is as great)?

Edited by Mortte - April 09 2020 at 23:06
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2020 at 23:10
Caress Of Steel, hands down. I can’t get into their debut at all, Fly By Night is only decent for me, but Caress is my favourite early Rush album (then Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures). Throw in Signals, then these are all I need from these guys.
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2020 at 23:36
Caress of Steel because I think Rush started to think bigger about then ... sure it isn't perfect but I'd give  it a solid 4 stars.  very ambitious and for that ambition it gets an extra score from me.  Tongue
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2020 at 00:30
2112 is several magnitudes better than the first three...
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2020 at 00:33
I am a Rush fan but I just don't bother with the first 3 albums. By-Tor and the Snow Dog is the only track I remotely care about but I would rather listen to the ATWAS version and not the album version.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2020 at 00:40
Caress of Steel, obviously. Fly by Night has By-Tor and the Snow Dog, but, like richardh writes, the live version blows it away.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2020 at 05:44
Caress of Steel just ahead of Fly By Night.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2020 at 07:15
Caress of Steel easily.

I do like Fly By Night very much but I rarely listen to the debut album anymore
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2020 at 07:30
COS.
DarkTower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkTower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2020 at 07:37
Fly By Night, for By-Tor 
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2020 at 08:19
Caress of Steel mostly because of The Necromancer

judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2020 at 10:02
My vote untied the results, so far! There were 12 and 12 between FBN and CoS.

I had to think a little hard about my vote. In my reviews of these albums I rated FBN with 3 stars and CoS with 3.5, so that should be enough to make up my mind. But today I voted for the sophomore album. I just love By-Tor & the Snow Dog, Anthem, BB&B, and In the End. Rivendell is the worst thing under the Rush name, definitely.

Forgive me for contradicting my own review
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2020 at 10:10
^And yet rivendell still came in at number 32 on a list of 167 ranked rush songs worst to best. I like it ok and think it gets unfairly bashed but even I wouldn't rank it that high. For me it gets the prize for sleepiest rush song. If there's one rush song that will put you to sleep that's the one. That by itself doesn't make it bad though you just have to be in the mood(no pun intended) to appreciate it.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 10 2020 at 10:34
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2020 at 10:36
I'm not very confortabēle to talk about those album, yet.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>