Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Klaus Schulze - what is hes best album to start
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Klaus Schulze - what is hes best album to start

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Klaus Schulze - what is hes best album to start
    Posted: April 12 2020 at 05:20
I want to know which top 3 of hes 70s release as a solo artist, in particular focus.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2020 at 05:22
I’d go for Picture Music, Timewind and maybe Blackdance.
Cyborg and Moondawn are also great.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2020 at 05:26
okay, started on Timewind now
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2020 at 05:49
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

can’t go wrong with this one. I just spun Timewind earlier this eve. I liked side 2 more.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2020 at 05:56
Hi,

I recommend listening from the start ... since he improves and changes bit by bit each and every album ... grabbing a later album and then going back to listen to CYBORG or something else from those early days, is going to probably sound weird and not as good.

All in all, choosing one album or two from KS ... is a lost cause ... he has so many excellent ones and they go all over the place and right after that ... surprise ... something new.

Sidebar: His Works series is now released on CD and in it there are some fantastic things that are extremely different than his stuff at the time. Much of it seems to be improvised, and I kinda think that it is better than his regular stuff all around.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
zeuhl1 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
RPI Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeuhl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2020 at 09:24
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

can’t go wrong with this one. I just spun Timewind earlier this eve. I liked side 2 more.

I started out on Timewind decades ago and dozens of albums and CDs later (including much of the Ultimate Edition), if I had to keep only one, it would be Timewind.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2020 at 09:44
Timewind, Mirage, X.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Breidablik View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breidablik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2020 at 03:21
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Timewind, Mirage, X.

Agree! Personally, I do consider "Mirage" as his best work and an excellent starting point. 
Fans of progressive electornic and Berlin School, please give my project Breidablik at listen at: https://breidablik.bandcamp.com/
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2020 at 04:08
It's all good until 78 and X (even the Body Love soundtracks), and it really drops after that

But I'd start either chronoligically or first  with my fave Timewind (to make sure you "catch" it) then chronologically

BTW, Schulze was the first to cram in nearly one hour of music on a vinyl.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2020 at 07:37
I’d recommend either Timewind, Moondawn, X or either of the Body Love volumes. All very melodic and easy to approach...for a Schulze album that is.
If you need a bit of beat/drumming, then I’d say Moondawn - just like Force Majeure probably is the easiest way to get into Tangerine Dream
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2020 at 22:41
I agree with David for Timewind and X, but for me Audentity (1983) and Angst (1984) can be an option to get easily into KS music.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 00:10
thanx guys - now i got homework todoo
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 00:25
My favourites: Mirage, Timewind and Picture Music. I think Timewind is the easiest to start with. After X, I left Schulze aside. Dune was quite a deception.

Edited by someone_else - April 24 2020 at 00:27
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 00:32
Mirage.

If you don't love it, go no further.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 01:32
^I love that one but think it is a little too ambient to start out with...most especially if one is coming from rock music with a beat. At least most of his other 70s album feature some kind of beat whether it’s over drums or sequencers.
As serene and utterly beautiful as Mirage is I still feel it is a somewhat hard sell to the uninitiated...even if I would love to be proven wrong
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 01:47
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

^I love that one but think it is a little too ambient to start out with...most especially if one is coming from rock music with a beat. At least most of his other 70s album feature some kind of beat whether it’s over drums or sequencers.
As serene and utterly beautiful as Mirage is I still feel it is a somewhat hard sell to the uninitiated...even if I would love to be proven wrong

you have to take the subtitle into account to get into the album: "Eine elektronische Winterlandschaft" ("An electronic winter landscape")

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 09:43
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

you have to take the subtitle into account to get into the album: "Eine elektronische Winterlandschaft" ("An electronic winter landscape")

Hi,

That's one side of things I have never had the luck to know what some things meant, and just went with the flow of the listen ... heck, I still don't know what some words in AD2 mean ... and the music is still great!

But it does clarify, one side really well ... from the album. 

A very nicely done, and totally beautiful album ... as to others liking or not liking, it depends if they are into the "flow of the music", or if they need lyrics to tell them what it's all about Alfie!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 10:07
He's just trying to sound like me. ;-)

"Here's one I prepared earlier". (The modular synth is finally finished. ;-) ) 

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 12:08
Hmmm....Moondawn?
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 12:09
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

He's just trying to sound like me. ;-)

Lol   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>