Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Stooges vs Pink Floyd

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satoshi48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Stooges vs Pink Floyd
    Posted: April 16 2020 at 17:16
Perhaps two of the most influential acts in popular music history.
The Stooges is notorious for brutal stage shows and making proto-punk music and foreshadowing of what is to come (obviously punk) and Pink Floyd is known for being a leading band of the progressive rock genre and philosophical lyrics and elaborate live shows.

Perhaps what can be regarded as their magnum opuses: The Dark Side of the Moon and Raw Power, a chart winner and an unfortunate loser, these two are polar opposites. TDSOTM is a prog classic, and Raw Power is punk-pioneer. They have close release dates. Which album do you think is better and why?

I have so many other bands in my mind which can stand against these two for now let's see how these two compete against each other.

Edited by Satoshi48 - April 16 2020 at 17:17
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2020 at 02:47
I like comparisons of polar opositional forces that paved away their own nieches.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2020 at 07:30
To me Raw Power is greater album than Dark Side. On the other hand Atom Heart Mother is greater album than Raw Power. I am huge fan of both bands, but if I have to choose, itīs Floyd. Also, I am not thinking these bands are polar opposites, Barret was as big idol to many punkrockers as Iggy, also Piper, Saucerful, More and Ummagumma have many quite aggressive songs that can also to be thought of protopunk.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2020 at 08:04
Hi,

If you see Jim Jarmusch's special film about Iggy and the Stooges, I think that it will be much easier to appreciate than even the great behemoth that took down all the clubs in Hollywood, and left them ranked in the toilet for the smells. Not that the latrines were any cleaner at the Forum, or the Sports Arena ... but you get the drift!

However, I think this is a sad poll, comparing oranges and apples. 

There is a lot of good stuff in Iggy, and the special shows it well, and he has taken care of himself well, and has a very clear and vivid memory of his story and the times in them, going way back to MC5 and before. Highly recommended and for all you porg'rs, the show at the Whiskey A Go Go that he mentions is the same show I was at that had BABE RUTH open for them. The audience boo'd BR, but they played a magnificent set and Janita Hahn made Iggy look like a teenager on stage later ... and I walked out after the first 20 minutes, because it was the same thing ... scream and throw yourself to the floor ... scream and throw yourself to the floor. 

Sadly, there was some great music in there, completely hidden and not payed attention to by the whole Iggy thing, and Iggy knew that was happening and tried to help the band better, but it was written on the walls ... this is about Iggy going crazy not any music the band played!

PF had its issues with fans, from DSOTM and then WYWH tours, but none of them compare to some of the stuff that was happening around Iggy ... it wasn't about the music ... as there weren't many "hits" to help the band stand up and look stronger and better, and this was one of the knocks ... they were great in the big cities, but you send them to BlahBoo, Texas, and the band will probably come away in bad shape, and Iggy has at least one example of that!

Edited by moshkito - April 17 2020 at 08:05
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2020 at 09:47
Pink Floyd evolved. There's a stark contrast from Syd's early hippy-dippy Floyd albums to the more cerebral Waters/Gilmour releases like DSOTM, WYWH and Animals. The Stooges made a couple seminal albums, but Iggy never really moved on. He's 80 years old and still walking around on stage without a shirt on. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2020 at 09:53
I could never really get into the Stooges, but I have a strong passion for the Iggy Pop solo albums The Idiot and Lust For Life, especially the first one.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2020 at 12:46
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Pink Floyd evolved. There's a stark contrast from Syd's early hippy-dippy Floyd albums to the more cerebral Waters/Gilmour releases like DSOTM, WYWH and Animals. The Stooges made a couple seminal albums, but Iggy never really moved on. He's 80 years old and still walking around on stage without a shirt on. 
Not fully agree. Iggy made "the Idiot" already in 1977 (yes, Bowie was a "generator" in it), but also last years "Free" is an album you maybe should listen.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2020 at 13:48
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

I could never really get into the Stooges, but I have a strong passion for the Iggy Pop solo albums The Idiot and Lust For Life, especially the first one.

Hi,

I would prefer the stuff he did with Ryuichi Sakamoto for the album NEO GEO ... much more fun and actually very good, although I have the feeling that what folks would want to hear was him screaming again, and this is not the album for it.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply