Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why does everyone hate The Battle Of Epping Forest
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why does everyone hate The Battle Of Epping Forest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 01:37
I was 12 when I first heard this after borrowing the album from a mate at school.  I am 57 now - I still love it and never, ever tire of it.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 01:43
Didn't we already have this discussion a few weeks ago?Confused
in the Closest to Perfect Album topic or Fave Genesis Lyrics thread or something

Epping Forest is certainly one of my fave Genesis tracks, and their best rock opera ahead of RA&B, GTOBF and AIAMN and brilliant almost-Python-esque humour is certainly one of its main attraction.
However I understand that it maybe sound weird, with the hilarious middle interlude about the priest and the "beautiful chest" not being everyone's cup of tea, but I really don't see why anyone would hate this near-typical Gabe-era Genesis track, unless they don't get it at all.

Sooooo, if there is one Gabe-era track on that album (and the others) that gets "hate" (and rightly so, IMHO) it is More Fool Me, which is just about as detestable as YOSW on W&W.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 05:37
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Didn't we already have this discussion a few weeks ago?Confused

Yes, and I hate talking about Epping Forest as much as listening to it! Wink
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 07:20
Reading the lyrics, it seems Peter Gabrial hsd a little Charles Dickens fever, cause it reads quite in a Dickensian fassion of wierd characters
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 07:27
I don't hate it.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 07:28
Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

Originally posted by zeuhl1 zeuhl1 wrote:

I remember reading that the band had conceived and written it as an instrumental and were displeased when they found out Gabriel had gone in late night and laid this torrent of words on top of it without consulting with them about it.

I've read similar accounts. According to Tony, Gabriel would do that quite a lot. That's why the end of Apocalypse in 9/8 isn't instrumental.

In Gabriel's defense, he's usually doing the song a favor.
Well, it wouldn't have made the most exciting instrumental ever.
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 08:52
Don't hate it, but don't like it much either.  For me, Genesis had several albums where they felt they had to have a "silly" song (or silly-sounding song), and this is one of them...

SEBTP-TBOEF+SR=GAOAT?

Clap
zeuhl1 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
RPI Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeuhl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 11:14
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I remember reading that the band had conceived and written it as an instrumental and were displeased when they found out Gabriel had gone in late night and laid this torrent of words on top of it without consulting with them about it.

I've read similar accounts. According to Tony, Gabriel would do that quite a lot. That's why the end of Apocalypse in 9/8 isn't instrumental.

In the early 90's I approached a friend who ran a recording studio about removing the vocals from Epping to see what the band heard in it as an instrumental. Was told: a) it won't completely remove the vocals and b) it's going to cost more than you are willing to pay.
I can't imagine Apocalypse in 9/8 without vocals though
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 11:25
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

It's one of my favorite Genesis Gabriel tracks, and I've always loved it! I love that proggies have a gripe with it even more LOL.

Yes me too!Clap
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 18:51

In the early 90's I approached a friend who ran a recording studio about removing the vocals from Epping to see what the band heard in it as an instrumental. Was told: a) it won't completely remove the vocals and b) it's going to cost more than you are willing to pay.

I think there are ways of isolating and/or removing tracks from songs nowadays that are basically free. I was listening closely to the instrumental for Epping Forrest yesterday and I though I could hear what Tony heard in it that could've justified it being instrumental. Or maybe Tony didn't want a full instrumental but just not so many words all over the place.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 18:54
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

Don't hate it, but don't like it much either.  For me, Genesis had several albums where they felt they had to have a "silly" song (or silly-sounding song), and this is one of them...

SEBTP-TBOEF+SR=GAOAT?

Clap

How do you subtract Epping Forest and add Supper's Ready? SR is more than twice as long, and Epping Forest is already 11 minutes. Not to mention early Genesis albums are always in the 50+ minute range at the absolute capacity for vinyl records.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 19:25
I do rather hate The Battle of Epping Forest... why? I just find it annoying and can barely hear it... and then, it's way too long. I can think of the 3 classic Genesis songs that I hate for being annoying, which are this one, Harold the Barrel, and Take them out by Friday. But the longest of them all is Epping Forest. And then, ruining the masterpiece status of my otherwise favourite Genesis album doesn't help on how I feel about it (More Fool Me is not all that good either, but it's short and bland enough that it doesn't really harm the album much).
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 19:26
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Don't feel badly, I quite enjoy "Time Table" on Foxtrot, which earns me great malice amongst Genesis fans! 

"Epping Forest" is decent, but not a masterpiece.  Tony Banks does some great synth leads on that one.

I never knew people were supposed to not like Time Table, I do find it rather beautiful.
zeuhl1 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
RPI Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeuhl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 20:00

I think there are ways of isolating and/or removing tracks from songs nowadays that are basically free. I was listening closely to the instrumental for Epping Forrest yesterday and I though I could hear what Tony heard in it that could've justified it being instrumental. Or maybe Tony didn't want a full instrumental but just not so many words all over the place.

I thought after I posted that what once was expensive and difficult to pull off is probably cheap or free and way more efficient. Ahh well.
After I'd heard initially that it was designed to be instrumental, I'd had essentially your thought, what if there was a balance of vocals and instrumental with a proper hoedown in the middle? I'd imagine it would dissipate some of the dislike out there
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 20:15
Selling England by the Pound is the best Genesis album IMHO. So i personally love that effing Epping Forest

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
santirodriguez View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote santirodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 21:11
I naturally speak in spanish but no one seems to speak it so I look forced to write in English. I like that song, all my friends like it and I have a friend that says that is his favourite Genesis song. Although I think that is is not a masterpiece and Genesis has better tracks.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 21:12
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Don't feel badly, I quite enjoy "Time Table" on Foxtrot, which earns me great malice amongst Genesis fans! 

"Epping Forest" is decent, but not a masterpiece.  Tony Banks does some great synth leads on that one.

I never knew people were supposed to not like Time Table, I do find it rather beautiful.

Thank you, I've read a few on PA who seemed to trash it somewhat.  I agree, a very nice song, but not the single best on Foxtrot. 
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 21:26
Man people are just looking for stuff not to like, who is trashing time tables? What’s so offensive about that song or more fool me? Man, I just like music, do people listen to stuff actively trying to find something not to like about it?

Edited by dougmcauliffe - April 21 2020 at 21:28
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2020 at 02:25
I certainly find Timetable as weak or boring as Absent Friends, or Harlequin, but also lacking the sense of sweet melody

Difficult to believe as such, actually.Confused
First time I hear about Gabe slapping on lyrics onto something not originally designed for it. The comment reads like it was a "fait accompli" and no turning back, but I suppose this didn't happen while recording it?

Well I'd want to see/hear the original instrumental version of Effing Poorest before judging how good the instrumental would've been. Cos I can't begin to imagine that they didn't adapt the music once the lyrics were there. And I'm quite sure that if the middle section wouldn't have existed if there weren't lyrics "slapped" on it

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I do rather hate The Battle of Epping Forest... why? I just find it annoying and can barely hear it... and then, it's way too long. I can think of the 3 classic Genesis songs that I hate for being annoying, which are this one, Harold the Barrel, and Take them out by Friday. But the longest of them all is Epping Forest. And then, ruining the masterpiece status of my otherwise favourite Genesis album doesn't help on how I feel about it (More Fool Me is not all that good either, but it's short and bland enough that it doesn't really harm the album much).

well it looks/sounds like you don't like Genesis' manner of doing rock opera songs. How do you feel about Robbery Assault and Mouse's Night?
I agree Harrold is poor, but Friday is OK and Epping are more than good, IMHO

Edited by Sean Trane - April 22 2020 at 02:27
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2020 at 02:34

I thought after I posted that what once was expensive and difficult to pull off is probably cheap or free and way more efficient. Ahh well.
After I'd heard initially that it was designed to be instrumental, I'd had essentially your thought, what if there was a balance of vocals and instrumental with a proper hoedown in the middle? I'd imagine it would dissipate some of the dislike out there

Probably so! Of course it rather worked out for Genesis as it is. SEBTP has climbed to nearly the top of the PA top 100 after all, lol.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>