Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why does everyone hate The Battle Of Epping Forest
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why does everyone hate The Battle Of Epping Forest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 02:42
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

After careful review of this thread, all I know for certain is that I'm breaking the leg of the b*****d that got me framed.
They called me The Reverend, when I entered the Church unstained....
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2020 at 01:55
My employers have changed but the name has remained...
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2020 at 03:56
It all began when I went on a tour
Hoping to find some funiture
I followed a sign saying "Beautiful Chest"
Which led me to a lady that showed me her best.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2020 at 13:21
Originally posted by softandwet softandwet wrote:

I don't understand this hatred, for me it sounds like a tiny Supper's Ready, so what's the deal?
Throwing acorns from out of my sling and anyone who hates on the Epic Epping.   I could do a related thread - Why does everyone hate The Hare Who Lost His Testicles, uhm Spectacles? TongueTongue

Edited by Slartibartfast - April 30 2020 at 13:22
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2020 at 13:22
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

It all began when I went on a tour
Hoping to find some funiture
I followed a sign saying "Beautiful Chest"
Which led me to a lady that showed me her best.

She was taken by surprise
When I quickly closed my eyes
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2020 at 21:01
Yeah as an actor, I eat this stuff up. I love the theatricality of it all, the track and Genesis as a whole. It's actually a dream of mine to perform music like this and become characters on stage. Fuses my love of music and theater. If I could find some way to shove paleontology in there, I'd cover all my passions. 

As for the lyrics, I get that it isn't relatable for most people. But a quick trip to Genius Lyrics can explain them. They are genius.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2020 at 22:00
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Yeah as an actor, I eat this stuff up. I love the theatricality of it all, the track and Genesis as a whole. It's actually a dream of mine to perform music like this and become characters on stage. Fuses my love of music and theater. If I could find some way to shove paleontology in there, I'd cover all my passions. 

As for the lyrics, I get that it isn't relatable for most people. But a quick trip to Genius Lyrics can explain them. They are genius.

I'm surprised Genesis don't have a song about paleontology, lol. What with The Return Of The Giant Hogweed and all.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Frankh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2020 at 23:42
She rang the bell

And quick as Hell

I love the thing. Always have. Always will.

Don't make me say it again! lol

('cause I will.)
Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 00:56
Originally posted by Frankh Frankh wrote:

She rang the bell

And quick as Hell

I love the thing. Always have. Always will.

Don't make me say it again! lol

('cause I will.)

Bob the Nob came out on his job, to see what the trouble was.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 02:40
Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

The one Bob The Nob that got lobbed across the gob??

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 03:59
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

The one Bob The Nob that got lobbed across the gob??

Correct!

His kisser was also a mess, and he seemed under stress Cool.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2020 at 07:31
I like BOEF but it is a little too "wordy". I honestly think it would have been better if PG had cut a few bits out. However overall it still has me singing along so it's a thumbs up.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2020 at 08:15
Apologies up front if this has been mentioned previously. The 'Liquid Len' referenced in the lyrics is Jonthan Smeeton who was the lighting and production designer on Hawkwind's highly acclaimed Space Ritual tour who subsequently went on to work with Peter Gabriel. Does this make the Battle of Epping Forest any better? Nah.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2020 at 10:33
^ I have never heard that before...your source?
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2020 at 14:50
Best song on album and better than Supper
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2020 at 14:56
Not everyone hates this song. In fact, most of us actually love it! Tongue
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2020 at 15:00
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

My mother's womb Big smile

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2020 at 23:50
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

Not everyone hates this song. In fact, most of us actually love it! Tongue

Some of us are just bored with it but I understand why it exists. However the general flow of an album is important to me and I'm not convinced that it really helps in that regards. Too much stopping and starting. 2 minutes turns into an extra 7 minutes or whatever . Yep its prog but all I hear is messing about.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2020 at 01:53
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Apologies up front if this has been mentioned previously. The 'Liquid Len' referenced in the lyrics is Jonthan Smeeton who was the lighting and production designer on Hawkwind's highly acclaimed Space Ritual tour who subsequently went on to work with Peter Gabriel. Does this make the Battle of Epping Forest any better? Nah.

I never knew this, if true! I always hear the that line in the song, too "...And his friend, Liquid Len by name..."

Good stuff! Clap

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2020 at 12:45
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

My mother's womb Big smile

Ahh. Seems plausable...as long as he was notorious in Wandsworth...a prison I believe....no mention of that in wikipedia...😎
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>