Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post an obscure prog track

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2020 at 15:12
Originally posted by MaldonTerryWood MaldonTerryWood wrote:

Fair enough. Thank you.
Reading my prior post I think it came off a bit dickish - sorry for that. Lifetime is fairly obscure if you don't happen to be a fusion head, and anyway I don't think this thread needs me to be the obscurity police!

Regardless, the Lifetime version of Big Nick is a good track that is worth raising on any thread. Here's a link:

Edited by Mascodagama - May 07 2020 at 15:12
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2020 at 16:58
Despite the album cover being the same(on youtube) this is from Concerto Grosso Number 2(several years after the first CG album).

dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2020 at 16:16
1981 Magma almost
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2020 at 13:15
^Very nice. Sending this one up to JRF team for inclusion evaluation.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2020 at 13:32
^ Love this album! It's already in here Ian, under Didier Lockwood.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2020 at 13:34
^Huh...? I checked under all the artist discos.

Oh, I see. I was looking for the Ferrari instead of the original LP album cover.

Edited by Tapfret - June 02 2020 at 13:37
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2020 at 13:37

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2020 at 14:13
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2020 at 15:16
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2020 at 16:04
Don't know if it truly counts as prog, but it belongs to the so-called progg movement.

Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2020 at 16:05

An obscure Polish prog-lite track.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2020 at 16:09
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

Don't know if it truly counts as prog, but it belongs to the so-called progg movement.

Sorry for double posting but you added your post while I was typing mine. The Progg movement's produced some really good songs despite being political and stuff. However, I think that only Kapia was a true progg prog band. The other ones were mostly just rock. Yes, I don't think Trettioåriga Kriget is all that prog'y. ;)
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2020 at 16:57
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

That track is, by the way, from one of the most experimental albums EVER. The album begins relatively normal and just gets weirder and weirder.

Edited by BaldFriede - June 02 2020 at 16:58

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2020 at 17:21
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Sorry for double posting but you added your post while I was typing mine. The Progg movement's produced some really good songs despite being political and stuff. However, I think that only Kapia was a true progg prog band. The other ones were mostly just rock. Yes, I don't think Trettioåriga Kriget is all that prog'y. ;)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know. There's nothing prog-like about, say, Hoola Bandoola Band, but I think this particular Contact track has a bit of it. Sure, it's relatively straight forward in terms of song structure, but the sound ot it, f.e. with the organ... They have other songs with no prog elements though.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2020 at 18:07
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

My own stuff is guaranteed superobscure.

Nice!       Some interesting chords there.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2020 at 18:13
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

I've done some music myself, and it should be very obscure too. I wouldn't call it prog though: http://andersejsing.bandcamp.com/track/uoriginal-sang

I really enjoyed this!   
Thank you for sharing it.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2020 at 18:28
US prog from the 70's. I put this on a mixed tape I made in the 90's. 

Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2020 at 18:33
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

a band that was rejected by the archives, but if this is not progressive rock then what is?

Sounds quite proggy to my ears, but my definition of Prog tends to be broader than the status quo.
I’m curious how it ended up being classified.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2020 at 20:36
^ They didn't classify it at all if it was rejected on here(other than to say "not prog"). The interesting thing is they do have a prog related category which the collaborators on here sometimes seem to forget about.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 02 2020 at 20:37
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2020 at 21:45
One of my favorite obscure jazz-fusion albums from the 70s

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>