Poll Question: Is Pink Floyd prog rock?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
104 [82.54%]
22 [17.46%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Pink Floyd prog rock?
    Posted: April 24 2020 at 08:56
Do you consider Pink Floyd prog or not?

I think art rock is a much more appropriate term for their music than prog rock, so I voted no. Although their music is great I never found it to be complex compared to other bands as King Crimson, Yes, Rush, Genesis...

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 09:06
nah, it's cha-cha-cha
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 09:09

If you don't consider them progressive, then you don't really know all of their music.

dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 09:11
Imagine watching saucerful of secrets live at pompeii and still not thinking Floyd is prog. Odd times=/=prog, with floyd its about unconventional structure and experimentation. Yes, floyd is prog. These discussions lead nowhere.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 09:24
In the 70s, art rock bands were considered part of the prog scene - 10cc and Be Bop Deluxe being classic examples.

So are Pink Floyd prog? Well,yes - in the same way that Donald Trump is a complete f*****g idiot.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 09:34
I probably would describe Pink Floyd as art rock primarily, rather than Prog Rock (but the two need not be considered as different). Pink Floyd is more progressive rock than Prog-by-genre to me. I don't think that Pink Floyd is Prog per se, but I would argue that the band made progressive rock. It's quite diverse and it depends on the album, period somewhat, and even on the piece of music. I got into this a little while ago in another topic. The first album is more psych, the second is also primarily psych and experimental rock, but I would say it could also be described as progressive rock. Ummagumma is psych, experimental, and prog I think. AHM, my favourite, I do consider to be quite Prog, and Meddle. Dark Side of the Moon is art rock mostly to me. Wish you Were Here is Prog Art Rock to me, as is Animals. The Wall is more art rock/rock opera. I'm not interested in the later ones. Ultimately I would say yes and no. It didn't uniformly make what I would call progressive rock particularly, and I wouldn't describe it as Prog primarily for the career. Sorry, this could be a lot better written/ expressed, but I hope it still has some value for discussion.

I'd need another option. It's not black and white to me, it's grey, and to me this "yes or no" presents too simple a dichotomy. It could be described as prog and not Prog, but I don't tend to think of bands as prog per se, I tend to think about specific music those bands made, and that music could be labelled in various ways. I might have added a "Yes and no, maybe so option". It depends quite a bit on how one defines/ describes progressive rock, as well as Progressive Rock (as a genre that need not be truly progressive) and how one parameterises music, as well as how much percentage one counts and many things. One could apply many labels to Pink Floyd across the discography, and even on individual albums.

Edited by Logan - April 24 2020 at 09:38
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 09:36
Its a YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES! LOL
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 09:48
Hi,

Weird ... it doesn't take 5 minutes in this board to get this answer!

I'm not sure I enjoy these questions that are making fun of the music (humor is OK with me ... enjoying the remastered Goons!!!!) ... but sometimes these like/dislike things are/arenot things ... are a bit ... too much for me.

PF is a part of the experience in music that explored new areas with new sounds and atmosphere ... in that alone they would be considered "progressive", but I think a lot of folks will say no because it just got too big and became a song driven band, and no longer a trip band right after DSOTM.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 09:52
In that famous interview, when asked if he considered Pink Floyd were progressive, Zappa answered 'sometimes'.  Floyd - absolutely no doubts - right from the get go up until 'Wish You Were Here'.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 10:03
Just not a simple yes or no. Overall I do think Pink Floyd were making progressive rock music, although in late 60s early 70s they called it psychedelic pop music, "prog" or "progressive" label was not being used that early on.
If you draw hard lines they were psychedelic/acid/art rock band....later on in the mid 70s the progressive label became more prevalent to use, but those earlier labels fall under the progressive music umbrella. 

On DSOtM inside cover it tells the retailer where to file the album under, I think it says "popular music". Again, prog back then meant nothing was not a common label, it only means something to us the fan.

Yes is way more the answer than No would ever be, I mean the argument is not if the music is progressive but rather why is it not. 
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 10:35
Originally posted by TexasKing TexasKing wrote:

I think art rock is a much more appropriate term for their music than prog rock, so I voted no. Although their music is great I never found it to be complex compared to other bands as King Crimson, Yes, Rush, Genesis...

in the 70's, Art Rock became "Prog" in the 90's.

As for Floyd, if maybe not using tricky times sigs (except the odd case, like 7/4 in Money), Floyd was systematically reinventing themselves with every new album.

So maybe not virtuosos, but they had more ideas and adventures than many other bands.
As Wright one day said: technique is secondary next to ideas.
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 10:47
Of course they were. Just because they became very popular doesn't change that.
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 10:49
Reminds me a bit of the discussions about whether one should count Beethoven as classicism or romanticism.

I believe I hear Pink Floyd as a synthesis of prog rock and art rock; there are elements of both. Since I am an art rock fan most of all, it should come as no surprise that among the Big 6, Pink Floyd is the band I enjoy the most.

I also believe I would think of most krautrock as art rock rather than prog. But it seems to me that the definition of art rock is much more diffuse.

Edited by The Anders - April 24 2020 at 10:55
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 11:02

Must prog be musically complex?

My first feeling is 'no'. I think for instance a lot of newer metal bands squeak in as 'prog' partly because metal is one modern genre where technical virtuosity is highly valued.  

Could a minimalist work be prog?   I'd have said 'yes', though no obvious rock example springs to mind.

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 11:02
I have a rather broad definition of prog, so definitely yes. I don't know why anyone would think that Pink Floyd were not prog. It seems to me that the question of Pink Floyd's progginess is about Dark Side Of The Moon. But in spite of its commercial success, that album is prog, and I fail to see why people think otherwise.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 11:09
Originally posted by Braka1 Braka1 wrote:

Must prog be musically complex?

My first feeling is 'no'. I think for instance a lot of newer metal bands squeak in as 'prog' partly because metal is one modern genre where technical virtuosity is highly valued.  

Could a minimalist work be prog?   I'd have said 'yes', though no obvious rock example springs to mind.

You need to listen to some Can and Neu!

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 11:11
In my opinion, you would have to have a pretty narrow definition of prog to not consider PF to be prog(at least some of their albums). Prog is a big umbrella and it's not always about playing overly complex music in odd time changes(all the time), have really long songs, three minute instrumental sections or use synthesizers although PF have done all of those at least once. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 24 2020 at 11:11
TexasKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 11:26
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

It seems to me that the question of Pink Floyd's progginess is about Dark Side Of The Moon. But in spite of its commercial success, that album is prog, and I fail to see why people think otherwise.

DSOTM is not complex music in odd time changes. 

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 11:38

Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

It seems to me that the question of Pink Floyd's progginess is about Dark Side Of The Moon. But in spite of its commercial success, that album is prog, and I fail to see why people think otherwise.

DSOTM is not complex music in odd time changes. 

what's your definition of complex music?
There are time changes all over that album, odd or not. 
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 11:44
Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

In that famous interview, when asked if he considered Pink Floyd were progressive, Zappa answered 'sometimes'.  Floyd - absolutely no doubts - right from the get go up until 'Wish You Were Here'.
I watched a clip of Uncle Frank onstage with the Floyd and it was clear there was no rehearsal and that he was not that familiar with the music. They went into a tune, he stood for most of it doing nothing, then came up with a riff in the last half that he did not variate. The tune (I don't remember what it was) was not beyond Frank's ability, he just did not know it. This shows that what they were dong had a sophistication to it that was not easy to pick up on.

The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>