Poll Question: Is Pink Floyd prog rock?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
104 [82.54%]
22 [17.46%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 11:46
And this is all predicated by what you mean by 'Prog.' Geek

The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 12:02
Heck, yes!
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 12:05
Is the Earth round?
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 12:07
I didn't vote because my answer is sort of but not really ... most of the prog elements in Pink Floyd's music are in the production not so much the bands instrumental playing. Their music is glorified blues with prog production Tongue

Edited by Enchant X - April 24 2020 at 12:09
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 12:24
Can we just please obliterate the mindset that prog needs to have odd times. f**ks sake! 
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 12:27
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Braka1 Braka1 wrote:

Originally posted by TexasKing TexasKing wrote:

Do you consider Pink Floyd prog or not?

I think art rock is a much more appropriate term for their music than prog rock, so I voted no. Although their music is great I never found it to be complex compared to other bands as King Crimson, Yes, Rush, Genesis...

Must prog be musically complex?

My first feeling is 'no'. I think for instance a lot of newer metal bands squeak in as 'prog' partly because metal is one modern genre where technical virtuosity is highly valued.  

Could a minimalist work be prog?   I'd have said 'yes', though no obvious rock example springs to mind.

You need to listen to some Can and Neu!

Yeah, I didn't devote a lot of time to trying to think of examples of minimalist prog.  I have all the Can albums up til Flow motion.  OTTOMH not sure I'd call them minimalist, but they certainly weren't all about   instrumental pyrotechnics (e.g. 'Aumgn').

But I suspect I'm not a typical Can fan. My fave Can song is 'Yoo Doo Right' LOL

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 12:36
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Can we just please obliterate the mindset that prog needs to have odd times. f**ks sake! 
I believe prog does need some odd time signatures to be true prog not many but a few more than Pink Floyd demonstrate. Tongue
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 12:44
I think they probably check enough boxes to be considered prog. I do take issue with them often being the first band one thinks of whenever prog is mentioned because I don't think they exemplify the core tenets of the genre as well as other classic 70s prog bands.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 13:03
The first bands I come to think of when someone says prog are Genesis, Yes and Emerson Lake & Palmer. I guess for many people prog more or less means symphonic rock. In Denmark at least, the term 'symphonic rock' was used most frequently in the 70's and 80's. The word progressive at that time was mostly associated with something left wing (bands like Skousen & Ingemann, Rřde Mor, Agitpop...). It must have been the same in Sweden where left wing rock of the 70's is commonly labelled "progg", or "den proggressive musikrörelsen" (the progressive music movement).

Edited by The Anders - April 24 2020 at 13:06
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 13:07
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

I think they probably check enough boxes to be considered prog. I do take issue with them often being the first band one thinks of whenever prog is mentioned because I don't think they exemplify the core tenets of the genre as well as other classic 70s prog bands.

They are often the last band I mention to people who ask me what prog is, after they fail to recognise the other classic prog bands I mention.

The problem with mentioning Yes or Genesis is that they only know their '80s music which does not provide a proper example of what prog is.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 13:09
"Prog" maybe not, but  it is indeed "Progressive." 
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 14:00
lol

yes 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 14:01
How can they not be ??
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 14:13
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

How can they not be ??

Partially by how you pigeonhole the band. Pink Floyd's music can be labelled in various ways (mind you, that's typical of progressive rock). What I was saying and others have too, is that Pink Floyd may be considered more progressive (adjective) rock on the whole than Prog (noun) by genre. I don't think of Pink Floyd as a quintessentially, stereotypically Prog band, and some of its music/albums I'd sooner describe as Prog than others. It rather depends upon how you define and parameterise Prog, as well as which Pink Floyd material you are referring to. I would be more likely to describe Pink Floyd on the whole as Art Rock rather than Prog Rock (but Art Rock and Prog are not mutually exclusive terms).
theultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the ultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 14:40
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

And by what one means by Art Rock.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 14:49
Originally posted by Enchant X Enchant X wrote:

Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I believe prog does need some odd time signatures to be true prog not many but a few more than Pink Floyd demonstrate. Tongue
Prog doesn't need anything. It's a term that is subject to family resemblance. It is also a term that is dependent on the individual priorities of listeners. For me, metrical complexity is high in importance, but experimentation with timbre tops my list of Prog values. I had a thread on this several years ago. Even to the extent that we all agree on a list of Prog characteristics, we don't all agree on which should rate the highest.

Floyd scores high on my prioritized list of Prog qualities because they did a lot of experimentation with timbre.

Consider also that some music might have a lot of metrical complexity, but lacking in harmonic complexity or vice versa.

Edited by HackettFan - April 24 2020 at 15:09
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 14:55
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

And by what one means by Art Rock.

True. Art Rock can by synonymous with Prog in some models, and as I said, Art Rock and Prog are not mutually exclusive terms, or I should say not necessarily depending on the definition. At the least, they overlap.

Here's the definition of Art Rock used at rateyourmusic (I would have my own elongated, verbose version, which would overlap with that, but I'm too lazy to think and type that out).

Originally posted by rateyourmusic rateyourmusic wrote:

The term art rock has been employed to describe several works of Rock music developed right after the 1960s Psychedelic Rock explosion. Following on the heels of this phenomenon, art rock has been the result of musicians developing an interest towards a handful of forms of music out of the boundaries of rock and, in general terms, making an attempt to break away as much as possible from the constrains imposed by Rock & Roll (or from the roots of rock itself, which, in turn, inspired genres like Blues Rock, Country Rock or U.S. Folk Rock). A non-musical factor that could explain this development is the conscious transition that certain rock (and non-rock) artists made from singles-based music towards a bigger development of the album as a cohesive lyrical and thematic whole (an important step towards the popularization of the so-called concept album) as shown by the 1966–1967 set of examples like Pet Sounds, Freak Out!, The Who Sell Out or Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (which can be counted as forerunners of later art rock).

The Velvet Underground & Nico, which interpolated raw Garage Rock and psychedelia with lengthy Modern Classical-inspired drone and noise passages, unorthodox guitar tunings with heavy use of feedback, and subject matter generally centered around stark lyrical topics (all tied in with elaborate pop art-inspired imagery and live performances) is considered by critics and fans as the starting point of art rock. This template of limit-breaching rock music, concept-oriented LPs and complex live performances would be the basis for many artists during the 70s that added various influences to this archetype, including Jazz, Western Classical Music, Funk, avant-garde and early Electronic and Ambient music (and even instrumentation typical of some of these styles). Examples of art rock musicians during this stage include Roxy Music (along with the solo careers of Brian Eno and Phil Manzanera, as well as the Roxy-related 801), Pink Floyd, Station to Station/Berlin trilogy-era David Bowie, Peter Gabriel, Barclay James Harvest, Steve Harley/Cockney Rebel and ex-Velvet Underground members Lou Reed and John Cale.

Ever since its beginnings, art rock has shared connections, musical ties and even presents apparent overlaps with Experimental Rock and Progressive Rock (eventually also bearing a relationship with styles like Art Pop, Glam Rock, Krautrock and Jazz-Rock). While art rock strives to find a level of complexity similar to the one present in these two affiliated genres, it generally features a mix of rock music that tends to follow certain Pop-based structures or patterns along with the aforementioned set of eclectic influences and certain degree of complexity and conceptuality, in contrast to the more classical/jazz-mimicking or inspired patterns of prog suites, or the more radical and angular experimental rock.

After the Punk Rock explosion of the second half of the 1970s, art rock dissolved, during the following decades, into other forms of rock music, including (but not limited to): Post-Punk, New Wave, Art Punk, and Post-Hardcore. The 1990s and 2000s would then see a series of newer bands taking inspiration from the musical and conceptual leanings of 60s/70s art rock acts (along with other influences) and as such, groups like late-90s/early-00s Radiohead, The Mars Volta, TV on the Radio, dEUS, АукцЫон [Auktyon], and The Mollusk-era Ween have been commonly credited with reviving popular interest in the genre into the new millennium.

PA, by the way, for those who might remember, used to have an Art Rock category.

Edited by Logan - April 24 2020 at 14:58
theultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the ultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 15:13
Not really a solid yes or no thing to me. I don't really think of Pink Floyd as a prog rock band, but then they also have plenty of overlap of prog rock tropes. Art Rock fits better with (70's onwards) PF overall.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 15:31
"The term art rock has been employed to describe several works of Rock music developed right after the 1960s Psychedelic Rock explosion." [RYM]

Hard to put Floyd in this category since they are front and center as well as a downright canonical example of Psychedelic Rock, at least in the British version of Psychedelic Rock. This logically swoops KrautRock up in Art Rock too, btw.

"Ever since its beginnings, art rock has shared connections, musical ties and even presents apparent overlaps with Experimental Rock and Progressive Rock (eventually also bearing a relationship with styles like Art Pop, Glam Rock, Krautrock and Jazz-Rock). While art rock strives to find a level of complexity similar to the one present in these two affiliated genres, it generally features a mix of rock music that tends to follow certain Pop-based structures or patterns along with the aforementioned set of eclectic influences and certain degree of complexity and conceptuality, in contrast to the more classical/jazz-mimicking or inspired patterns of prog suites, or the more radical and angular experimental rock." [RYM].

Atom Heart Mother and Meddle are classical-inspired suites. True, there are more traditional song-based pieces the same albums. However, Harold the Barrel is on the same album as Fountain of Salmacis. Maybe Genesis isn't Prog either.

Edited by HackettFan - April 24 2020 at 15:35
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 15:34
I don't mind. They sound as they sound. That's fine by me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>