Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
104 [82.54%]
22 [17.46%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 17:16
^ That's very good.

Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

I suppose we'll have to replace PF with Gary Numan in the Big Six.

First replace Pink Floyd with Kraftwerk, then replace Kraftwerk with Gary Numan in the big six. I love all three of those no matter how you label or rank them.

Edited by Logan - August 07 2020 at 17:19
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 17:16
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

I thought PF was noise/grind? Wink

Hardly. Try illbient.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 17:32
Apparently my brother knew someone a long time ago who described them as "dark wave." 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 17:35
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Apparently my brother knew someone a long time ago who described them as "dark wave." 

LOL That guy doesn't know what darkwave is. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 18:37
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

LOL That guy doesn't know what darkwave is. 

My mistake. I think I meant to say "heavy wave." Darkwave became a thing much later. This guy telling my brother that happened in the early 80's or so after the Wall became big.
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 18:50
We all know Pink Floyd plays Whale-mating rock
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 22:48
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

^ They sound like my kind of Pub-Rock band. Smile
You mean Beefheart? Pubrock?!Shocked

No, I meant Drink Floyd. Smile
Aaah, you meaned that! Well, haven´t yet tested Drink Floyd, I believe I will sometime in the future!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 23:31

Before you vote no, you might want to go back and listen to Piper at the Gates of Dawn and compare it to what was out there at the time. It is true that some of their later music tends toward blues, but prog has so many different characteristics. They are proggy, in my opinion, in many ways. Lyricism, didactic albeit twisted metaphorical storytelling, complex chords / progression, some odd time signatures, innovations with synths. I wouldn't place them in the same sub-category of prog as King Crimson. But, if you take out Pink Floyd from PA, you might as well cut off your nose to spite your face. I think some people may be mixing up the umbrella of prog with their favorite subgenre of prog. And, if you don't like my opinion, hard cheese! Resounding, resonating, and reverberating YES!!!
Have to remember also prog rock started to develop in those early days when musicians mix together blues, jazz, folk & classical music. I hear blues even in Porcupine Tree.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 01:04
Nope.  No Mellotrons.  

I always considered PF more of a blues-based, psychedelic band than prog-band in the mold of Yes/Genesis/Crimson etc. 

Inventive?  Yep.  Inspiring?  Certainly.  Progressive?  Never impressed me in that way, particularly.  

Edited by cstack3 - August 08 2020 at 01:05
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 08:36

Before you vote no, you might want to go back and listen to Piper at the Gates of Dawn and compare it to what was out there at the time. It is true that some of their later music tends toward blues, but prog has so many different characteristics. They are proggy, in my opinion, in many ways. Lyricism, didactic albeit twisted metaphorical storytelling, complex chords / progression, some odd time signatures, innovations with synths. I wouldn't place them in the same sub-category of prog as King Crimson. But, if you take out Pink Floyd from PA, you might as well cut off your nose to spite your face. I think some people may be mixing up the umbrella of prog with their favorite subgenre of prog. And, if you don't like my opinion, hard cheese! Resounding, resonating, and reverberating YES!!!
Have to remember also prog rock started to develop in those early days when musicians mix together blues, jazz, folk & classical music. I hear blues even in Porcupine Tree.

I am in agreement. Many if not most Prog bands incorporate blues into their music. I don’t have a problem with it, as long as there is something else proggy to sink the teeth into. Rush is another band that relied heavily on pentatonic scales but they were also quite proggy. It is strange that the person who posted this mentions Rush as Prog but Pink Floyd as not. Odd time signatures is not the only classifying factor for Prog.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 08:39
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ That's very good.

I suppose we'll have to replace PF with Gary Numan in the Big Six.

First replace Pink Floyd with Kraftwerk, then replace Kraftwerk with Gary Numan in the big six. I love all three of those no matter how you label or rank them.

Moi aussi! Mais c’etait juste pour rire.   
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 11:29
I wonder how different the results would be if we asked if Rush were prog or Kansas or Jethro Tull or even Yes or Genesis. ;)
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 11:43

I wonder how different the results would be if we asked if Rush were prog or Kansas or Jethro Tull or even Yes or Genesis. ;)

Please, no ! Let's not do that ! Cry LOL

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 12:39

I am in agreement. Many if not most Prog bands incorporate blues into their music. I don’t have a problem with it, as long as there is something else proggy to sink the teeth into. Rush is another band that relied heavily on pentatonic scales but they were also quite proggy. It is strange that the person who posted this mentions Rush as Prog but Pink Floyd as not. Odd time signatures is not the only classifying factor for Prog.
I have listened quite much Delta Blues recent years and there really are odd time signatures. And many really talented guitarists (Robert Johnson & Skip James are the greatest). Really sad many thinks blues is just that boring 12-bar music that it´s mostly is today.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 12:55
I would say yes, but I think what confuses people is the fact that Pink Floyd have an appeal that goes way beyond prog circles. And that is meant in the best way possible. Traditionally progressive rock does not have a high regard among rock critics, but Pink Floyd is an exception. Plus, like many other bands, they incorporate many different sounds, which is what makes them interesting. They are prog, but also much else. As are Jethro Tull, King Crimson and so on.

As for myself, I am probably more of an art rock fan than a prog fan. I tend to favour experimental sonic textures and modernist aesthetics over virtuose playing, tempo changes, unusual time signatures and overblown fantasy lyrics. So it should come as no surprise that Pink Floyd is my favourite "big six" band by far...

Edited by The Anders - August 08 2020 at 12:57
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 13:48

I have listened quite much Delta Blues recent years and there really are odd time signatures. And many really talented guitarists (Robert Johnson & Skip James are the greatest). Really sad many thinks blues is just that boring 12-bar music that it´s mostly is today.

Blues can indeed be quite complex. Guitarists like Lonnie Johnson (one of my faves), Lightnin' Hopkins, Buddy Guy, Jimi Hendrix, Robert Johnson, and Stevie Ray Vaughan were exceptional good at digging deeply into the complexities of blues and incorporating some jazz. And, there is nothing wrong with blues. I love blues! However, if one is going to take on the task of classifying music, at some point you have to draw a line between what constitutes the genre of "blues" (even if it is very complex blues) and what constitutes prog, even if the prog contains significant blues components. I would argue that, judging by their initial albums, some bands (Rush is a good example) had their roots in blues-based rock (e.g., Jimi Hendrix, Buddy Guy, Eric Clapton, and Led Zep), but then they went in proggier directions, adding more classical (e.g., Farewell to Kings), jazz (richer chords and more grace notes), and prog (epic themes, odd time signatures, non-standard progressions, etc., etc.) influences. At the same time, they STILL included quite a bit of blues even in their later work. But, I wouldn't classify them as a blues band. I hope I have clarified my point.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 14:49
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Nope.  No Mellotrons.  

I always considered PF more of a blues-based, psychedelic band than prog-band in the mold of Yes/Genesis/Crimson etc. 

Inventive?  Yep.  Inspiring?  Certainly.  Progressive?  Never impressed me in that way, particularly.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 15:04
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Please, no ! Let's not do that ! Cry LOL

Ok, fine. Those will be the next polls then. But only if you ask nicely. LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 15:07

Nope.  No Mellotrons.  

Since when does something need a mellotron to be prog? 

Actually, from what I understand they did use a little bit of mellotron on ummagumma, saucerful of secrets and Atom Heart Mother.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 15:09

Nope.  No Mellotrons.  

Since when does something need a mellotron to be prog? 

Actually, from what I understand they did use a little bit of mellotron on ummagumma, saucerful of secrets and Atom Heart Mother.

Mirror, mirror, on the wall. Who is the proggiest band of all?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 15>