Poll Question: Is Pink Floyd prog rock?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
104 [82.54%]
22 [17.46%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 10:35
Now, if we could only get you to stop writing in green or red ink. 😉
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 10:38
No. Then you'd be able to understand what I'm saying. LOL
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 11:00
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

that the Russians built the first synth in 1934.
LOL! You're so funny. Well, there would hardly be the electric guitar if there wasn't Nikola Tesla who was born as an ethnic Serb [Russians and Serbs are the same people genetically] in the family of an Eastern Orthodox priest, forget the synth.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 11:19
Originally posted by Boboulo Boboulo wrote:

Well, there would hardly be the electric guitar if there wasn't Nikola Tesla

What does Nikola Tesla have to do with the electric guitar?

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 11:35
You can find the answer in the book by Svetonio Boboulo titled An Alternate History Of Everything.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 12:08

You can find the answer in the book by Svetonio Boboulo titled An Alternate History Of Everything.
To be fair, that's cruel. I find An Alternate History Of Everything a very amusing read.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 12:10
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Never said a truer word.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 12:16

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Overall I do think Pink Floyd were making progressive rock music, although in late 60s early 70s they called it psychedelic pop music, "prog" or "progressive" label was not being used that early on.
I'm afraid that "progressive" label was being used that early on. This Decca's V/A LP has been released in 1969:

You seemed to have quoted my click bait........Your deformed vision of progressive music has caught up to you. Since you claim that the term was in use before the late 60s, then by default early Pink Floyd is progressive music/rock music, psychedelic music in how Pink Floyd played it is under the progressive umbrella.
This picture you have used on other music sites.........Find something else.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 13:31

Numbers don't lie. 70 members voted yes compared to 14 members who voted no. That settles the debate until the question is posted again, two months from now.

Fixed. LOL
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 05:33
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Numbers don't lie. 70 members voted yes compared to 14 members who voted no. That settles the debate until the question is posted again, two months from now.

Fixed. LOL
Thanks. That's more like it. LOL
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 05:38

Overall I do think Pink Floyd were making progressive rock music, although in late 60s early 70s they called it psychedelic pop music, "prog" or "progressive" label was not being used that early on.
I'm afraid that "progressive" label was being used that early on. This Decca's V/A LP has been released in 1969:

You seemed to have quoted my click bait........Your deformed vision of progressive music has caught up to you. Since you claim that the term was in use before the late 60s, then by default early Pink Floyd is progressive music/rock music, psychedelic music in how Pink Floyd played it is under the progressive umbrella.
This picture you have used on other music sites.........Find something else.
Jose, please post this early 70s album in all the Svetonio/Boboulo posts in the other threads. Pictures and drawings are the only thing he will understand.

Edited by SteveG - September 28 2020 at 05:46
TexasKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 08:05
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

And no, I don't consider Rush to be prog either.

Rush is much more prog than Floyd.

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 08:49
Originally posted by TexasKing TexasKing wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

And no, I don't consider Rush to be prog either.

Rush is much more prog than Floyd.

Nonsense. Rush never did anything that wasn't done previously, nothing groundbreaking, nothing new or innovative.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 09:09
^ God you guys are all so cringe

This is why people make fun of boomers. "rUsH nEvEr DiD aNyThInG tHaT wAsN't AlReAdY dOne bEfoRe," really? I hate this small group of armchair contrarians, likely hunched over their desk with cheeto dust all over their fingers just terrorizing YouTube comment sections and forums about how all music past the year 1976 is crap as they turn on Close to the Edge for the 3rd time today.

Edited by dougmcauliffe - September 30 2020 at 10:00
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 09:55
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

This is why people make fun of boomers. "rUsH nEvEr DiD aNyThInG tHaT wAsN't AlReAdY dOne bEfoRe," really? I hate this small group of armchair contrarians, likely hunched over their desk with cheeto dust all over their fingers just terrorizing YouTube comment sections and forums about how all music past the year 1976 is crap as they turn on Close to the Edge for the 100,000th time. 

Although to be honest, post 1976 music has far more innovative things on offer than Rush. Tongue

(Another site on which I am has a "run away quickly" smiley, I'd have liked that here...)
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 10:34

This is why people make fun of boomers. "rUsH nEvEr DiD aNyThInG tHaT wAsN't AlReAdY dOne bEfoRe," really? I hate this small group of armchair contrarians, likely hunched over their desk with cheeto dust all over their fingers just terrorizing YouTube comment sections and forums about how all music past the year 1976 is crap as they turn on Close to the Edge for the 3rd time today.
Look, little boy, I realize 12 year olds have relatively little experience, but when you can't refute what I said with anything but cute little meme-worthy jargon like the asinine "you guys are all so cringe", I suggest that your mother send you to time-out away from her PC. 

The previous poster stated Rush was "more prog" than Pink Floyd and I pointed out there is nothing progressive, revolutionary or earth-shattering to Rush's music. If anything, it is a reiteration of elements already provided. If you can't provide anything to refute it, shut the f*ck up.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 10:43
No, Pink Floyd isn't prog because prog doesn't exist. We can close down the site now, thank God.

...seriously, threads like this make me want to find out where the servers are and go there with a crate of dynamite myself.

Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 10:44
Asking if Pink Floyd are Prog-Rock is a bit like asking if Adolf Hitler was a racist. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - September 30 2020 at 10:45
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 10:54
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Look, little boy, I realize 12 year olds have relatively little experience, but when you can't refute what I said with anything but cute little meme-worthy jargon like the asinine "you guys are all so cringe", I suggest that your mother send you to time-out away from her PC. 

The previous poster stated Rush was "more prog" than Pink Floyd and I pointed out there is nothing progressive, revolutionary or earth-shattering to Rush's music. If anything, it is a reiteration of elements already provided. If you can't provide anything to refute it, shut the f*ck up.
No offence, but why don't you prove your own point before lecturing others on the art of refuting?

Edited by FatherChristmas - September 30 2020 at 10:59
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 10:55
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Asking if Pink Floyd are Prog-Rock is a bit like asking if Adolf Hitler was a racist. Smile
Tend to agree. Even then, who cares if it's prog or not, it's the music that matters.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 15>