Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Should Bowie be moved to Crossover Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should Bowie be moved to Crossover Prog?
    Posted: April 25 2020 at 08:57
I think the album Blackstar alone warrants this movement. That is a truly progressive album but regardless of that, he was making progressive music throughout most of his career imo. I feel like if Peter Gabriel solo has a place in crossover prog, there's no reason Bowie doesn't. I would like others thoughts, I know i'm not putting up the strongest argument but with prog I find it hard to define, but I know it when I hear it.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2020 at 09:21
Don't think it's possible to switch genres unless an artist is deleted and readded. Ain't gonna happen. He's here. Good enough. The overwhelming vast majority of his works is glam rock so I'd vote no

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2020 at 09:31
Peter Gabriel was moved from Prog Related to Crossover Prog more than 12 years ago. I think PG is a case of doubt, but Bowie is not.

Edited by someone_else - April 25 2020 at 09:34
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2020 at 09:56
Many bands/artists have been switched between categories before. I'd be fine with Bowie in Crossover or Prog Related. I'm just glad he in, period.

Edited by Logan - April 25 2020 at 09:58
Just a fanboy passin' through.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2020 at 10:11
Is majority a factor though? I feel like there are several artists with maybe one or two albums falling into the prog category with the rest of their discography being in another non prog genre.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2020 at 10:28
General opinion matters (if most people support the move then it would be more likely -- a move consensus would help bolster the case), but the Crossover Team and the Admin Team (of which I recently left) would have to agree to the move.

I think Bowie had various album that could fit Crossover (I'd include the Berlin trilogy), and various music off of albums that could fit, such as "Aladdin Sane" and "Cygnet Committee". That said, for me he fits Prog Related well, and there are a significant number of albums in that category by different acts that I consider to be Prog, or Prog category worthy. He is a sort of Art Rock/ Art Pop artist, and we used to have an Art Rock category -- it was split into Crossover, Eclectic Prog and Heavy Prog, not that that is important to mention.

Edited by Logan - April 25 2020 at 10:32
Just a fanboy passin' through.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2020 at 12:00
I wonder, how come the Art Rock category was split? Too big?
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2020 at 12:11
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

That was Micky's doins, and I think too big was the issue.
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2020 at 13:45
Yes, Blackstar is probably my fave Bowie album, but I'm fine where he is now.

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2020 at 13:59
lol 

no 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2020 at 14:19
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

lol 

no 

Why not? Is blackstar not a prog album?
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2020 at 14:58
I'm glad he's here, in PA, as I am for Queen and Led Zeppelin and Jimi Hendrix and Miles Davis and The Talking Heads as I think all of their work inspired prog artists to try slightly different things, or to come from different centers. But I do not think of Bowie's music as proggy. He was an artist, a performance artist for a long time, a man who loved to challenge accepted boundaries and who loved to push himself and reinvent himself, but I really don't think of his music as progressive or progressive rock (except maybe to him). He created songs to contain and deliver his ideas, his lyrics. When I generalize and think of most prog artists' songs, I feel as if they can/could stand on their own with or without lyrics. I do not feel this way about Bowie's music. 
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2020 at 15:10
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

When I generalize and think of most prog artists' songs, I feel as if they can/could stand on their own with or without lyrics. I do not feel this way about Bowie's music. 

That's an interesting perspesctive. Prog does seem more based on the music rather than the lyrics for sure. Even "Blackstar" is progressive pop, jazz-rock, experimental rock etc but not progressive rock. Personally i think prog related is the BEST place for him.

The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2020 at 15:24
David Bowie was progressive, but he was not "progressive"...

As for Crossover Prog, I read it refers to "progressive rock music that, though 100% progressive, may have a musical connection to popular music". I'm not sure if David Bowie really fits in here. His music was progressive in the sense that it was forward thinking, cutting edge, breaking new ground, combining style elements in new ways and so on, besides he progressed a lot as a musician by always trying out new musical ideas. But I'd say his music it's not progressive in the sense of 'prog' (perhaps with the exception of the Berlin trilogy and Blackstar). If Crossover Prog is prog artists who cross over to the mainstream, I would rather think it's the other way around with David Bowie.

So I think Prog-related makes more sense as I see it.

Edited by The Anders - April 25 2020 at 15:43
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2020 at 15:35
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

When I generalize and think of most prog artists' songs, I feel as if they can/could stand on their own with or without lyrics. I do not feel this way about Bowie's music. 

That's an interesting perspesctive. Prog does seem more based on the music rather than the lyrics for sure.

Yeah, I agree.

I never thought of David Bowie as Crossover Prog. Even at his most arty, he seems to me to be firmly rooted in pop. He definitely belongs on this site, but under Prog Related. Interestingly, by being listed under Prog Related, Blackstar is rated as "Essential: a masterpiece of rock music" and not just "Essential: a masterpiece of progressive rock music".

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2020 at 15:49
^ however may not apply to neo-prog which seems like the lyrics are as important as the music. Just generalizations of course.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2020 at 16:42
Bowie has never.. even by his biggest fans been considered a genius lyricist..he was no Donald Fagen haha.  In fact take a great many of his songs. Not particularly straightforward .. and in that he shares the obtuse proclivities of most prog lyricists.  

but what Bowie has been considered.. by fans.. and pretty much everyone..

is a musical genius.

Utterly and completely progressive..  but prog?  Nope.. he in fact is the best example of transcending Prog.  He.. like Floyd and to a lesser extent.. Tull.. were so much more than just a prog artist. You can not pigeonhole him in to a genre.. much less a specific section of one...and that is why Dean and I (as big of fans we are of him) thought Prog Related was the best place for him. 

Edited by micky - April 25 2020 at 16:43
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2020 at 16:52
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

That was Micky's doins, and I think too big was the issue.

Beer you honor me.. but while it was my brain child..perhaps first among equals and pushing hard to create the team and get us rolling..  give credit where it was due. It took the best group of collabs (Chus helping me with Xover, Dave and Raff getting hard and heavy, and Victor and Greg doing the eclectic thing) this site ever saw to go through each and every single damned one of those 900 odd groups and evaluate them and separate them.

it says a lot about what we did with ISP/RPI and the blood we had to shed to make that happen that what we did with AR was only my 2nd proudest accomplishment here.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2020 at 18:33
I'd go with crossover considering the arc of his career Smile
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2020 at 06:39
Hi,

This is the main reason why I think that we should "redo" the whole concept of "progressive" and take it away from the album ... it all should be about the ARTIST ... and then we could easily say that this band belongs in this area, and not in the more serious one, because they are inconsistent with their "progressive" design ... and the next album is something else.

I would consider DB more "adventurous" with his music, than "progressive", but he is not one artist I would spend time discussing or vote on in any situation ... too many things go separate ways ... I think he wanted to do "progressive" but he knew that it would likely cut down his short songs, and force him to do things a bit longer than otherwise ... and EF's comments in his book about what he stated to DB is major ... he liked the music flow so he could improvise, and essentially DB's music did not provide that for him, and he ended up declining to play in DB's album. EF would have had too short a bit on DB's song, which would be the primary/priority in the whole thing, and EF I don't think worried about priority or primary in his own music ... it was all about the flow and if guitar fit well, he used it!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>