Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Should Bowie be moved to Crossover Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2020 at 07:13
Who is EF, Elmer Fudd?
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2020 at 07:35
^ is that what he calls the voices in his head.  OK? Whatever man...  that would make sense in a Pedro way. At least as much sense as his post did.

At least the voice in my head doesn't try talking music.. Sheena with her mangled German accented english has one hell of sexy voice and she talks to me all the time and sure as sh*t not about music.. umm hmmm

it is a reason I go through my days with a big ass smile on my face. LOL

Edited by micky - April 26 2020 at 07:37
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2020 at 15:05
David Bowie should have his own genre.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2020 at 20:19
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

David Bowie should have his own genre.

by the time I added him I had already created 4 subgenres here..  I was on fumes by then almost reaching the burnout that led to years long vacation from the site...  so we phoned him in to PR...out but knowing my history.. it was definitely discussed LOL  The best part in hindsight with putting Bowie where we did was not having the Miles Davis effect on whatever sub-genre we would have jammed him into.. Brian mentioned career arc earlier but in my mind that misses the boat about Bowie..  there was nothing linear about him or his music.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2020 at 13:41
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Who is EF, Elmer Fudd?

Hi,

Your knowledge of music and the postings here, as well as the history of DB in Berlin, is astounding.

EF is Edgar Froese, from Tangerine Dream that rehearsed several times with DB, but came to the conclusion that what DB was doing was not for him at all ... it's on his book about TD. In fact, one of the lnocks on the book is that there is "too much" about DB ... but you learn a thing or two about how he worked! ... well, and Micky's comments seem to show that he drank too much and had way too much sex last night to remember anything! Embarrassed

Edited by moshkito - April 27 2020 at 13:43
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 10:44
Absolutely not. 
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 11:06
Only if crossover refers to artists who are no longer living in this physical world!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 19:08
Shawn Phillips is more proggy than Bowie (and than Steely Dan etc.) and he sits in the Prog-related category.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 07:55
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Shawn Phillips is more proggy than Bowie (and than Steely Dan etc.) and he sits in the Prog-related category.

Hi,

Logic man ... LOGIC. Wink Wink LOL

You're making me think that some of the decisions made many of the choices actually make sense!!!!!

Again, this is the perfect reason why these divisions should be about the artist, NOT THE ALBUM. DB is not always "progressive" in most albums, although at times, it comes off as art rock, and then it comes off as rock with the biggest finger in the sky possible!

Edited by moshkito - April 29 2020 at 07:56
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 08:42
Who cares what slot he is in? This PA proclivity for splitting hairs is one of the least endearing activities of this site.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 18:55
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Hi,

Logic man ... LOGIC. Wink Wink LOL

You're making me think that some of the decisions made many of the choices actually make sense!!!!!

Again, this is the perfect reason why these divisions should be about the artist, NOT THE ALBUM. DB is not always "progressive" in most albums, although at times, it comes off as art rock, and then it comes off as rock with the biggest finger in the sky possible!

Big smileWink
"Happiness is real only when shared"
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 19:47
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Who cares what slot he is in? This PA proclivity for splitting hairs is one of the least endearing activities of this site.

can't really say I agree with you there.. perhaps if one is in the market for a boring forum. It has proven to be one of the most entertaining aspects...  you don't see it much anymore as this site has slipped into its dotage but was the undercurrent  to the chaos and bloodshed of the glory days when we were building the database. People really did lose their sh*t about those hairs.  If an artist got put where someone didn't like... the fur flew man.. and god help them if the site added an artist they didn't think was prog... oh boy...cattle were raped and the womanfolk stampeded...wooo hooo!!! Guns were drawn and knifes were not just drawn.. but used.  The admins did little but hose the pavement down every evening.  I don't recall you getting too much into it.. what a waste of talent. you are one of the few I've seen here that has the quick draw and sharp wit with a certain flair for viciousness that made those that did..  PA's legend back then haha.

good times.. perhaps you had to be in the thick of it a we were(ie having those guns and knives drawn on you ) to appreciate the joy of blowing someone's cyber head off who crosses you.. but at one time we had a lot of people here who really knew music, not just knew what they liked.. and were passionate about prog and really got rubbed the wrong ways about additions/genre placements they didn't agree with

anyhow wasn't much said from the gen pop either way about Bowie. Most instinctual knew he belonged here and again I think most would have been at a loss to have found a natural fit for him.  

Edited by micky - April 29 2020 at 19:48
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2020 at 03:07

Yep, like watching bald men fighting over a comb.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2020 at 04:32
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Hey now, gimme some credit, I still have a few more years of this full head of hair!Smile
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 08:33
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Hey now, gimme some credit, I still have a few more years of this full head of hair!Smile

Hi,

Goodness ... 69 and counting and my hair still grows all over my face and I have to trim it and shave now and then! What a hassle that is, hey?

But, honestly, to comment on DE's line, the issue is not so much splitting hairs as it is the concept of doing this about ALBUMS and not ARTIST ... too many of these "artists' change from album to album and what might be prog in one is MOR in the other and DB is a very good example of this for the early days in FM ... longer cuts that resembled prog, but were merely longer songs that would not be considered "prog" ... I hardly think Spiders from Mars is progressive ... just a damn good rock album!

Edited by moshkito - May 02 2020 at 08:37
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 10:24
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Hi,

Goodness ... 69 and counting and my hair still grows all over my face and I have to trim it and shave now and then! What a hassle that is, hey?

(To paraphrase Dean) You can roll a turd in glitter but it's still a turd
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 11:59

To quote early American politician John Randolph, ''like a rotten mackerel in the moonlight, he both shines and stinks.''

Edited by The Dark Elf - May 01 2020 at 11:59
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 15:43

To quote early American politician John Randolph, ''like a rotten mackerel in the moonlight, he both shines and stinks.''

Made my day LOL
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2020 at 08:38

Hi,

We need a new thread for quotes ... nice one there DE
www.pedrosena.com
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2020 at 09:02
"Even if it's a witty, singing and dancing turd, it's still a turd" (Stephen King, "Sleeping Beauties").

"That which we call a turd by any other name would smell as sh*te" (Logan, "Guano and Manuret").

My favourite joke: What's brown and sounds like a bell?
Dunggg!

Moving this topic from Brownie back to Bowie. A case could be made for Bowie in Crossdresser Prog.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12