Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What About Geddy Lee's Voice!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 20:59
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Doesn't bother me. Rush wouldn't be Rush without Geddy. 

feel the same---his voice shouldn't work --yet somehow it does in this band. Has he ever done solo work and if and when he does would be interesting to see how his singing works 

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 21:47
Originally posted by Machinemessiah Machinemessiah wrote:

Rush is totally part of the 'Big' club for me (and it puzzles me if in a Progressive Rock site it isn't). For me Rush, fulfils my (progressive) 'power' needs.. and Geddy's screams is a great part of the deal.. I'm not into metal, nor things like Faith no More (though can listen), but, on a more 'classic (progressive) rock' flavor, for me this is as good as it gets in terms of power. But yeah.. perfectly understandable if it is an acquired taste; with my school friends long ago there was also a moment when we started questioning 'the witch', but in my case (and theirs too) it was a short hiatus and then I returned for good; for me Rush is indispensable, I'm always listening to them. I was in a band called 'Jacob's Ladder' totally inspired by Rush, and we 'tackled' some of the more affordable Rush' songs, but, the moment you have to sing one of them, you are completely at loss...

Favorite moments: Anthem with that scream.. 2112 when he starts the song high above.. Hemispheres beginning: 

"When our weary world was young
The struggle of the ancients first began
The gods of Love and Reason
Sought alone to rule the fate of Man"

<goosebumps>

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Can't say I'm particularly bothered by the sound of a "Cat being chased out a door with a blow-torch up its butt" LOL

Of course Geddy is an amazing musician. This says its better than anything I could think up:

Music industry writer Christopher Buttner, who interviewed Lee in 1996, described him as a prodigy and "role model" for what every musician wants to be, noting his proficiency on stage. Buttner cited Lee's ability to vary time signatures, play multiple keyboards, use bass pedal controllers and control sequencers, all while singing lead vocals into as many as three microphones. Buttner adds that few musicians of any instrument "can juggle half of what Geddy can do without literally falling on their ass.

sorry for all the 'ass references'!

Two very good posts Clap. I have read other articles saying same thing as Mr Buttner about Geddy Lee. It was around '76 when I got into Rush and going forward as a young teenager I never had any issue with Geddy's voice, it never struck me that way. Although I can see (hear) why some might have an issue, but to me that is just digging too deep and trying to find a reason to dislike a band.......His voice fits the era from a more heavy-hard rock/metal band to a more mature sounding 2nd half of their catalog.

I am perfectly fine with his tone and style, which as a professional has changed with the times.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2020 at 01:38
Geddy Lee is definately an aquired taste...but his screech is essential for the music....plus if you listen to his bass playing, especially on Hemispheres very few moments where the bass is boss as complexity...Rush should have got a keysman in after 1980, so that they could have really expanded on prog metal base. Signals was the biggest letdown in my whole prog listening life...miles worse than ATTWT....and that was a big enough sell out...

Edited by M27Barney - April 30 2020 at 01:39
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2020 at 01:42
Oh and you will get some smart arses on here who wiñl tell you that Rush only became interesting after PW.....words escape me on such flagrant betrayal of the prog ethos...

Edited by M27Barney - April 30 2020 at 01:43
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2020 at 01:54
When I first heard Rush it was around the Moving Pictures era, and his balls were just starting to drop. I actually really liked his voice. Although, overall, the albums after GUP were not as good as their predecessors, his voice only improved with age.

On the 70's albums, his voice is like Robert Plant throwing a hissy fit in a crack lounge, but, for me it no way impairs the quality of the music.

In summary, I have no problem with his voice.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2020 at 02:57
Not a favourite, but don't really mind it and maybe even like it a little on the Permanent Waves and onwards albums.  Scream Geddy Lee phase is definitely not something I enjoy.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2020 at 03:10
Fantastic musicians but I was never a fan and Geddy's voice for me, is like sandpaper on the soul
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2020 at 04:21
Polarizing voice, and I've never minded it at all! Cool

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2020 at 05:39
Originally posted by fronobulax fronobulax wrote:

Have you folks heard "Pavlov's Dog?" It's the closest thing to Geddy I've heard, but even more high pitched and laden with vibrato. 

Of course Geddy is a god because Rush is (by Caress of Steel) completely original, love it or hate it!

It's the closest thing to Geddy I've heard

Then you've clearly never heard or seen Burke Shelley of Budgie, then!

I love Geddy Lee's voice. But I was already a big fan of Budgie and anyone who sounds like Burke Shelley is fine by me.

Edited by Hercules - April 30 2020 at 05:40
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2020 at 08:58
It is an acquired taste without a doubt. But I practically grew up with the guy, so I find absolutely no problem at all with his voice. On the other hand, if I'm introducing someone to Rush, I tend to avoid the early albums because of his shrieking vocals. Once I have my apprentice on track I introduce the early Rush, so that the voice will be understood within its proper context.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2020 at 09:04
If you're a Rush fan, you're a Geddy fan. You can't have one without the other. Too bad we never got to hear Geddy and Rik Emmett, another excellent Canadian musician from the "high-pitched" lead vocal club, collaborate on something.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2020 at 13:19
Anyone here fans of Thank You Scientist whose vocalist seems to be very influenced by Geddy?  I concur with the majority that Rush just wouldn't be Rush without him vocally and bassically. Big smile
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2020 at 20:18
When I heard my first Rush song, I admit that Geddy's voice hit me like a freight train. 

It definitely took a little to get used to, but it wasn't too bad because I listened to a lot of heavy metal before that, so I was used to high-pitched, screamy voices.

I don't know why it surprised me so much with Rush though, it just did. Needless to say, I love his voice now, although it can become a bit grating at times.

Edited by Spacegod87 - April 30 2020 at 20:19
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2020 at 22:59
I adore also Geddy´s seventies & eighties voice, but he sounded terrible in the last days of Rush.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2020 at 23:58
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Oh and you will get some smart arses on here who wiñl tell you that Rush only became interesting after PW.....words escape me on such flagrant betrayal of the prog ethos...

I don't think anyone is saying that at all LOL

Rush are fascinating for their ability to re-invent and be creative. What is 'progressive' about just peddling a sound and style ad nauseum? Rush didn't do that . There are very clear phases of the music where they concentrated on a particular idea. The eighties did get very electro based but mostly they still put out 'interesting' stuff. Prog ethos is a horrible phrase. Most people reject that flat out. Just be creative , that's the name of the game.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 04:20
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I don't think anyone is saying that at all LOL

Rush are fascinating for their ability to re-invent and be creative. What is 'progressive' about just peddling a sound and style ad nauseum? Rush didn't do that . There are very clear phases of the music where they concentrated on a particular idea. The eighties did get very electro based but mostly they still put out 'interesting' stuff. Prog ethos is a horrible phrase. Most people reject that flat out. Just be creative , that's the name of the game.

Yeah but both Genesis (post Hackett) and Rush (after MP) REGRESSED into popular synth/pop/AOR fusion neither band produced anything near what a prog ethesist would consider progression...The reason the likes of me listened to Stardust we are and fell in love almost instantly, is because nostalgically such lengthy bombastic epics took seventies prog and progressed it into mega prog....now it's time for tera prog....only daga band (with a live track which was essentially three half hour suites, one piano, one moog and synths then finally organ, moog and synths) have ventured into tera prog....Paraplasma was the track name and ten times better than anything wakeman or emerson did...Greg Boynton..sadly a forgotten talent, now long dead...
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 06:27

Nobody here is saying that but Peart did say it.  Wink
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 07:32
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Doesn't bother me. Rush wouldn't be Rush without Geddy. 

feel the same---his voice shouldn't work --yet somehow it does in this band. Has he ever done solo work and if and when he does would be interesting to see how his singing works 

Yes he has released a solo album - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Favourite_Headache

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 07:34
I remember when I first heard Rush, a friend had bought All The World's a Stage. I must admit when we first heard it we both thought "wtf?" when the singing started, but since then I've had no problems with his singing.

I don't like David Surkamp though.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 07:54
I quite enjoy his early "castrato with a megaphone" efforts, at least on my favourite Rush LP, Caress of Squeal.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>