Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What About Geddy Lee's Voice!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 14:49
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Oh and you will get some smart arses on here who wiñl tell you that Rush only became interesting after PW.....words escape me on such flagrant betrayal of the prog ethos...

I don't think anyone is saying that at all LOL

Rush are fascinating for their ability to re-invent and be creative. What is 'progressive' about just peddling a sound and style ad nauseum? Rush didn't do that . There are very clear phases of the music where they concentrated on a particular idea. The eighties did get very electro based but mostly they still put out 'interesting' stuff. Prog ethos is a horrible phrase. Most people reject that flat out. Just be creative , that's the name of the game.

Yeah but both Genesis (post Hackett) and Rush (after MP) REGRESSED into popular synth/pop/AOR fusion neither band produced anything near what a prog ethesist would consider progression...The reason the likes of me listened to Stardust we are and fell in love almost instantly, is because nostalgically such lengthy bombastic epics took seventies prog and progressed it into mega prog....now it's time for tera prog....only daga band (with a live track which was essentially three half hour suites, one piano, one moog and synths then finally organ, moog and synths) have ventured into tera prog....Paraplasma was the track name and ten times better than anything wakeman or emerson did...Greg Boynton..sadly a forgotten talent, now long dead...

I don't see how they "regressed." They moved on with the times. Maybe you don't like it, but you can't use that word objectively. Arguably, a band like The Flower Kings was regressive, because they harkened back to the time of their influences. Sure they took it and ran ahead with it, but it took the regression first. I say this not to lambast TFK, but to point out that art is subjective. Genesis and Rush were making music that no one else was making in the 80s still. All of their periods have been influential for many. It seems like you are conflating "prog rock" and "progressive rock," one being a musical style, the other being an idea about pushing the boundaries of rock music in the context of the time. In the early 70s, the two were one and the same. But rock musicians weren't going to just disregard trends in taste and breakthroughs in electronic instruments and recording equipment. Not if they wanted to be relevant, or if they cared at all about "progressing" their art. If it's not to your tastes, that's fine.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2020 at 01:13

Oh and you will get some smart arses on here who wiñl tell you that Rush only became interesting after PW.....words escape me on such flagrant betrayal of the prog ethos...

I don't think anyone is saying that at all LOL

Rush are fascinating for their ability to re-invent and be creative. What is 'progressive' about just peddling a sound and style ad nauseum? Rush didn't do that . There are very clear phases of the music where they concentrated on a particular idea. The eighties did get very electro based but mostly they still put out 'interesting' stuff. Prog ethos is a horrible phrase. Most people reject that flat out. Just be creative , that's the name of the game.

Yeah but both Genesis (post Hackett) and Rush (after MP) REGRESSED into popular synth/pop/AOR fusion neither band produced anything near what a prog ethesist would consider progression...The reason the likes of me listened to Stardust we are and fell in love almost instantly, is because nostalgically such lengthy bombastic epics took seventies prog and progressed it into mega prog....now it's time for tera prog....only daga band (with a live track which was essentially three half hour suites, one piano, one moog and synths then finally organ, moog and synths) have ventured into tera prog....Paraplasma was the track name and ten times better than anything wakeman or emerson did...Greg Boynton..sadly a forgotten talent, now long dead...

Wow , Daga Band that was one I had forgotten about totally. 

I love a bit of retro prog but that is what it is. Progression can come in many forms. Rush got very close to symph prog but after 1980 no one was really do it anymore until the 90's revival. At heart, Rush were a hard rock band that embraced old fashioned prog for a while until it was dead on the ground. Then they looked at bands like The Police for inspiration and go it in spades. I have stacks of seventies style prog to listen to , I don't need all 'my' bands to be like that!
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2020 at 04:40
^ I saw Daga band at the Gallery in Manchester. A small late night music venue. As with Pallas at the same venue the number of paying customers could be counted by a one handed man. At both gigs I was drinking with the bands prior to tbe gig. And both dagaband and Pallas did stuff for the mad geezer who had just told them that he liked long bombastic mellotron chords and synth arpegios aplenty. Thus dagaband did their self indulgent jam paraplasma, with classical piano, bach organ like stuff, and an extended old castle by ELP in amongst wakeman exerpts...Pallas did a 70 min plus version of March on atlantis + half hour renditions of the ripper and queen of the deep...the guitar solo in that was the best solo I have ever heard on stage...both those gigs were so magic a true description escapes me...

Edited by M27Barney - May 02 2020 at 04:40
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2020 at 08:44
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

When I first heard Rush it was around the Moving Pictures era, and his balls were just starting to drop. I actually really liked his voice. Although, overall, the albums after GUP were not as good as their predecessors, his voice only improved with age.

On the 70's albums, his voice is like Robert Plant throwing a hissy fit in a crack lounge, but, for me it no way impairs the quality of the music.

In summary, I have no problem with his voice.

I agree with this (and I first heard of Rush around the Moving Pictures era as well). From PW onwards his singing has improved. I found his squealing and shrieking vocal style not quite attractive, although it did fit the music in a way.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2020 at 08:54
I likee it 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 03:37

^ I saw Daga band at the Gallery in Manchester. A small late night music venue. As with Pallas at the same venue the number of paying customers could be counted by a one handed man. At both gigs I was drinking with the bands prior to tbe gig. And both dagaband and Pallas did stuff for the mad geezer who had just told them that he liked long bombastic mellotron chords and synth arpegios aplenty. Thus dagaband did their self indulgent jam paraplasma, with classical piano, bach organ like stuff, and an extended old castle by ELP in amongst wakeman exerpts...Pallas did a 70 min plus version of March on atlantis + half hour renditions of the ripper and queen of the deep...the guitar solo in that was the best solo I have ever heard on stage...both those gigs were so magic a true description escapes me...

Sounds like it was a lot of fun!

I never got to see Daga Band although I did see Pallas at the Astoria many years ago . I remember the fans great enthusiasm more than the music though.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 10:05
The Gallery was manchesters equivalent of the Marquee...also saw IQ, Marillion and Trilogy there, tho the place was at capacity for those gigs....I also saw Pendragon at Manchester uni, when a lot of their later material was very much extended and far more bombastic than what was eventually recorded. I also saw Twelfth night at the Target club...possibly the third best concert I ever saw...tho Hackett at the Lowry (with stolt on bass guitar) was the best modern gig I have seen...
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 10:08
Oh I forgot The Enid at Band on the wall...good gig also...
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Folk/Eclectic/PSIKE/Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 19:52
How did it get so high? I wonder if he speaks like an ordinary guy?

(I know him and he does!)
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2020 at 07:25
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Nobody here is saying that but Peart did say it.  Wink

Yup, he thinks that Rush "began" with Moving Pictures which I think is complete kooky talk but totally understandable given Peart's personality.

As far as Ged's voice? I never had a problem with it. Love the screech. My only issue is that when singing the older songs in recent years, he couldn't sing them like he could when they were created. 
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2020 at 09:24
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

My only issue is that when singing the older songs in recent years, he couldn't sing them like he could when they were created. 

It happens to all of them except the ones named Sammy Hagar.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2020 at 00:30
^ Jon Anderson?
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2020 at 01:00
Hes best vocals is to be found in Rush album "Signals", there he both have a warmth, soulfull and powerfull voice. It really comes out on that album.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2020 at 05:38
no one .. outside of 'rush fan' would ever consider Geddy a great singer.. but his vocals.. were fun to listen to..very endearing in a geeked out Rush kind of way. 

Few vocalists can make me smile as hearing Geddy really get after it in the pre AOR/MTV days of their first 4 or 5 albums and become the shrieking elf of prog..
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Shield Stamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2020 at 14:24
I think his vocals have got better over time - a little lower and more soulful. This is one of the reasons why I like the later albums the best (from Signals onwards). Having said that, 2112 and Farewell to Kings are two of my favourite albums ever.
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2020 at 00:00
I reckon his best vocals are on the 90's albums. Nobody's Hero is a great example but they were more of a straightforward hard rock band at this point. The last attempt at anything 'prog' was maybe Hold You Fire. I still like a lot of those later albums though and Geddy generally is very good.

Edited by richardh - May 19 2020 at 00:00
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 00:01
Richard, don't you mean the '80s albums?
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 01:01
Geddy's voice is integral to Rush and I had no problem with the earlier albums and the live ATWAS. It was just part of what Rush was all about and maybe that was why they were such a cult band for those who 'got' it. However, it was an obstacle to many of my friends not taking to the band earlier on. However, I have to admit occasionally I would grimace at times - notably the final section of Cygnus X-1. I think from Hemispheres through to Moving Pictures there was a slight softening and consequently this was my favourite period. After that, his tone softened very much through the late 80s and 90s and whilst it undoubtedly led to the band being more accessible, the material was generally not as good. The final years were a return to form and the smoother tone worked well in the studio. However, live, his vocals increasingly struggled on the earlier songs and I find I don't listen to the later live albums (and there are many) as much.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 02:27

I reckon his best vocals are on the 90's albums. Nobody's Hero is a great example but they were more of a straightforward hard rock band at this point. The last attempt at anything 'prog' was maybe Hold You Fire. I still like a lot of those later albums though and Geddy generally is very good.

What about Clockwork Angels?
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 09:44
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Geddy's voice is integral to Rush and I had no problem with the earlier albums and the live ATWAS. It was just part of what Rush was all about and maybe that was why they were such a cult band for those who 'got' it. However, it was an obstacle to many of my friends not taking to the band earlier on. However, I have to admit occasionally I would grimace at times - notably the final section of Cygnus X-1. I think from Hemispheres through to Moving Pictures there was a slight softening and consequently this was my favourite period. After that, his tone softened very much through the late 80s and 90s and whilst it undoubtedly led to the band being more accessible, the material was generally not as good. The final years were a return to form and the smoother tone worked well in the studio. However, live, his vocals increasingly struggled on the earlier songs and I find I don't listen to the later live albums (and there are many) as much.
I'm not sure who it was, maybe Terry Brown, suggested that Geddy try a lower register to calm the highs. I too am one who in the early years had no issue with Geddy's vocals. I'm talking mid-late 70's and during HS years, it never bothered me, I also don't recall any friends that were into Rush and those that were not ever complained about the early albums and ATWAS.
I just remember playing albums after school.......For me it has only been in the last 10yrs or so that I realized how many people did have an issue with his vocals, but mainly from music journalists. I have the Rush tour book Wandering the Face of the Earth and there are many many snipets of live show reviews and many focus on Geddy's vocals early on, many not very kind.
But clearly, the music world over all had no issue with his vocal style, early or in the later years.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>