Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Iron Maiden debut or Kill 'em All?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Iron Maiden debut or Kill 'em All?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [66.67%]
6 [33.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Iron Maiden debut or Kill 'em All?
    Posted: April 29 2020 at 13:50
Which metal debut is better to you?

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 13:51
that's a tough one, I enjoy both a lot. 
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 14:07
I can't stand Iron Maiden, so it was an easy choice.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 14:11
Iron Maiden 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 14:12
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

I can't stand Iron Maiden, so it was an easy choice.

why? What's so wrong with Maiden?
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 14:56
^ There in nothing wrong, but I find the music very uninteresting. Also the über macho attitudes as well as the horror film-like album covers seem rather pretentious and corny to me. But maybe that's just me. In any case, I recognise the influence they have had, and I am aware that a lot of metal wouldn't sound like it does if it wasn't for Iron Maiden.

But then, I've never been much of a metalhead. Metallica is one of the bands I actually like.

Edited by The Anders - April 29 2020 at 14:57
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 15:00
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

^ There in nothing wrong, but I find the music very uninteresting. Also the über macho attitudes as well as the horror film-like album covers seem rather pretentious and corny to me. But maybe that's just me. In any case, I recognise the influence they have had, and I am aware that a lot of metal wouldn't sound like it does if it wasn't for Iron Maiden.

But then, I've never been much of a metalhead. Metallica is one of the bands I actually like.

über macho attitude with Maiden?! Confused I just don't see it. 

funny thing, the first 3 Maiden albums were definitely an influence on Metallica LOL

Edited by Cristi - April 29 2020 at 15:32
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 15:27
Maiden with Paul Di'Anno were the best. Killer for me easily.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 15:27
I spin Maiden's debut at least once a year.

Must been 25 years since i've last listened to kill em all.

Edited by Barbu - April 29 2020 at 15:28
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 16:27
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

Iron Maiden 

their best album too Heart
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 17:22
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

I spin Maiden's debut at least once a year.

Must been 25 years since i've last listened to kill em all.
Something like this !! Though I spin Maiden’s catalog 2-3 times a year. Fave Metal band of mine since 1987.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 22:32
Too easy.......Iron Maiden slaughters anything Metallica has done. Speed metal is a very boring style of playing, and Lars has to be one of the worst drummers to ever make a record.
Hetfield can also be a big doosh.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2020 at 04:52
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Too easy.......Iron Maiden slaughters anything Metallica has done. Speed metal is a very boring style of playing, and Lars has to be one of the worst drummers to ever make a record.

I agree and disagree with what you say there. 

Metallica did not play speed metal, it was thrash. Speed metal was basically fast paced heavy metal, vocals were cleaner than thrash, sometimes Halford inspired. 

As for speed & thrash being boring, I would not generalize. I've listened to my share of uninteresting to godawful thrash, but also awesome and entertaining bands/albums. 

As for Lars being one of the worst drummers - I kinda agree. But in the 80s, at least he was trying and trying hard. He did not care much in the 2000s and that can be seen in the music. On Metallica's last album he made an effort again. Maybe he's had enough with people making fun of his drumming, I don't know. 

Lars and James being dooshes? Yeah, sometimes. But then again, there are many in rock and metal (even prog), more famous or just as famous as them. 

Edited by Cristi - April 30 2020 at 04:54
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2020 at 05:04
Maiden, but kill em All is ok.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2020 at 06:16
Interestingly both albums have a slight punk genes yet totaly ingraved in the metal.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2020 at 07:49
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Metallica did not play speed metal, it was thrash. Speed metal was basically fast paced heavy metal, vocals were cleaner than thrash, sometimes Halford inspired. 

As for speed & thrash being boring, I would not generalize. I've listened to my share of uninteresting to godawful thrash, but also awesome and entertaining bands/albums. 

As for Lars being one of the worst drummers - I kinda agree. But in the 80s, at least he was trying and trying hard. He did not care much in the 2000s and that can be seen in the music. On Metallica's last album he made an effort again. Maybe he's had enough with people making fun of his drumming, I don't know. 

Lars and James being dooshes? Yeah, sometimes. But then again, there are many in rock and metal (even prog), more famous or just as famous as them. 

A minor digression here - Charlie Benante, Dave Lombardo, Nicko McBrain all run rings around Lars. His finest hour was .....And Justice......... But you all knew that.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2020 at 08:19
Iron Maiden

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2020 at 09:26

Yup that's it Thrash......I thought that after I posted but then forgot to edit as one of my fav shows was on last night, Seal Team.
Thanks!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2020 at 12:22
Really like both but...it´s Kill Em All, it rocks even more than Maiden first!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2020 at 12:28

Yup that's it Thrash......I thought that after I posted but then forgot to edit as one of my fav shows was on last night, Seal Team.
Thanks!
I like all Maiden albums from first to Seventh Son, but none of them are greater than Metallica´s Master of Puppets, ...And Justice for All, s/t (Black Album) or St. Anger (yes, I really love that album even really many Metallica fans hate). And I haven´t got ever any problems with Lars drumming, although he really isn´t any Bruford. I think he just fits Metallica-style perfectly!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>