Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Black Widow/ Comus/Current 93/ Message

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which options might you be choosing?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [30.43%]
11 [47.83%]
2 [8.70%]
3 [13.04%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black Widow/ Comus/Current 93/ Message
    Posted: May 01 2020 at 18:28
Other than I have listened to all four of these albums today as they all fit my mood, I haven't much to say about the choices. Feel free to vote for any album you like on my list despite any lack of familiarity with the other choices. It's not a contest -- multiple votes enabled in case you wish to vote for more than one. And If you don't like any of them, or want to talk about one or ones you dislike, feel free to get into that.

Some samples (a track rarely suffices):

Just a fanboy passin' through.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 19:43
Voted for the sublime (but uber creepy) Comus debut as there is nothing out there I've heard before or since that's remotely similar (although the Psychopath by the Edgar Broughton Band is at least in the same post code). Truly original but not for everyone. Black Widow are good fun but for me, teetering on the cusp of kitsch in a 'Hammer House of Horror Rock' kinda way. I've only ever heard Of Ruine or Some Blazing Starre from Current 93 and really liked it but baulked at exploring their output further as what I've been able to sample struck me as the result of an unhealthy obsession with the occult, the left hand path of magic, Nazism and Aleister Crowley (from whom they sourced their name) Never heard of Message but it sounded like a Scotsman singing German sludgey metal to my cloth ears.

Edited by ExittheLemming - May 02 2020 at 02:52
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 20:46
Comus, its a masterpiece
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 21:19
Comus is the greatest of these for me and has had the most play of these over my years at this site by far, but I really love the riffage of that Message album.

This kind of heavy groove really appeals to me:

The last time I'd played that Black Widow album was around Halloween. Coven's Witchcraft Destroys Minds & Reaps Souls also got a play today and was going to find itself on my list. I rather like my cheesy occult when it's topped with a heaping amount of "goat" cheese.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 22:22
No doubt its Comus
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 23:10
Comus. Havenīt heard any of those other albums before, what I have now listened (I have listened more than just those clips BTW Current 93-clip didnīt work at me at all) really any of those albums donīt sound the rise of the level of Comus great debut. Maybe you shouldīve put there second of third album from theirs? For those other three albums Message sounds most interesting to me also (that piece of you put Black Widow is a little bit comedy, there are more serious pieces in that album).
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2020 at 01:26
Definitely Comus here. The only one I'm not familiar with is Current 93, I also have an album called Return To The Sabbath by Black Widow which is supposed to be an early version of Sacrifice, sorry but that's one of the worst albums I heard in prog and it's not really prog imo.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2020 at 02:35
Message. I'd almost forgotten they existed, but their first 2 albums were very good.
The others do not appeal at all, to put it mildly.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2020 at 03:13
Comus First Utterance - one of my all time favourites and a masterpiece
Songs cast a light on you
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2020 at 06:49
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Comus. Havenīt heard any of those other albums before, what I have now listened (I have listened more than just those clips BTW Current 93-clip didnīt work at me at all) really any of those albums donīt sound the rise of the level of Comus great debut. Maybe you shouldīve put there second of third album from theirs? For those other three albums Message sounds most interesting to me also (that piece of you put Black Widow is a little bit comedy, there are more serious pieces in that album).

This multiple choice poll is not a contest and is just based on that day's listening. My particular favourites on the list are Comus and Message (I would vote for both if I cared to vote in my own polls).   I like the other Comus albums, especially To Keep From Crying (unlike so many), but had I listened to that yesterday then decided to add it to a poll of four, then I expect that my four albums would be altogether different.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2020 at 08:11
Voted for Black Widow, I like Sacrifice. It's not a real masterpiece, but I like it very much.

First Utterance is surely better, it's a masterpiece, but Sacrifice needs to be re-discovered.

Dont know Current 93 and Message.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2020 at 08:25
It might be worth checking out that Message album at some time. It's wonderful, I think. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSe6V7KkMyo It's a favourite of mine of the heavy psych variety.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2020 at 08:28
Black Widow and Comus. The other two are also good, but a step down.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2020 at 08:36
As a fan of both Comus and Current 93, I can easily vote for both of those.  Not as familiar with Message or Black Widow, but I will be checking them out, for sure.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2020 at 09:16
It is nice to see all four with votes.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2020 at 09:17
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

This multiple choice poll is not a contest and is just based on that day's listening. My particular favourites on the list are Comus and Message (I would vote for both if I cared to vote in my own polls).   I like the other Comus albums, especially To Keep From Crying (unlike so many), but had I listened to that yesterday then decided to add it to a poll of four, then I expect that my four albums would be altogether different.
I also love all their three albums, but First Utterance is their only masterpiece (Out Of the Coma could also be, but recording quality of live side is so low). Earlier it seemed only First Utterance got votes, thatīs reason I suggested to put second or third album here, but now there are votes in every album.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2020 at 09:55

I also love all their three albums, but First Utterance is their only masterpiece (Out Of the Coma could also be, but recording quality of live side is so low). Earlier it seemed only First Utterance got votes, thatīs reason I suggested to put second or third album here, but now there are votes in every album.

I understood. I fully expected First Utterance to dominate but didn't mind as I wasn't treating this as a competition. I am still pleased to see all of the options with votes. First Utterance is definitely the masterpiece, but I also think it rather a shame that the band has been as typecast as it is by that album (I wish the band had had a more successful, more albums, and varied career). Especially since some that hate Comus based on the dark, pagan themes of First Utterance won't give the much lighter To Keep From Crying a shot, or take it into consideration when judging Comus, I find the stereotype to be more of a shame. And others who love First Utterance I don't think give To Keep From Crying a fair shot because it's as different as it is to First Utterance -- instead of judging the albums and tracks on their own merits.

I have the compilation album, which if re-issued should be called Comus: The Incomplete Collection that included First Utterance and To Keep From Crying, as well as what I think to be wonderful "bonus" tracks -- "Winter Is a Coloured Bird" and "All the Colours of Darkness" are two of my very favourite Comus songs. I find it interesting that Song to Comus: The Complete Collection has a 4.53 average rating at PA, which make it the highest average rating of all Comus releases, yet To Keep From Crying has a rating of less than three and is often despised even if people like tracks such as "Children of the Universe" and "To Keep From Crying" (my favourites off the To Keep From Crying album).

I enjoyed Out of the Coma, and it is a shame that "The Maalgard Suite" is a poor recording. I wish they could have included that plus a re-recording (that costs money to do of course and it's an ambitious piece). My main issue with that album was that it felt like a pastiche of First Utterance Comus to me. It felt like too much of a product of fan service to me. It didn't show much development. Out of the Coma immediately made me think of Spinal Tap's "Back From the Dead", but it wasn't as fun.

"We're back from the dead
Climbing from the coffin
We don't come here often
Or so it is said
We're back from the grave
Recovered from our coma
More body than aroma
It's life that we crave" (Spinal Tap, "Back From the Dead").

Which is not to say that I don't appreciate Out of the Coma, but I find it more aspirational than inspirational in a sense.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2020 at 11:30

I enjoyed Out of the Coma, and it is a shame that "The Maalgard Suite" is a poor recording. I wish they could have included that plus a re-recording (that costs money to do of course and it's an ambitious piece). 
I believe you already know this next, but put here anyway if there are others donīt know it. Anyway "The Maalgard Suite" was originally two piece suite and going to fill their second album. But then record company wanted them to shorten it as single and not doing it into album at all, they refused and then the whole project cancelled. I think they composed the whole suite, but practised and performed only that first part. And that recording in "Out Of Coma" is the only recording from it, recorded in C-cassette and accidentily found after many years, but it had suffered in those years. Anyway I believe they didnīt remember that whole piece at all anymore, also it would have been really hard to learn again from that very poor recorded tape.

Have to say about A-side of "Out Of Coma" that I think those three songs are as great to me as songs in "First Utterance".
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2020 at 12:25
It's a tricky choice for me, as I've written 5-star reviews for both albums by Black Widow and Comus, but I've gone with Black Widow's "Sacrifice", because Comus' "First Utterance" gives me nightmares. Smile
By the way, it feels good to be taking part in the PA polls again after my recent long vacation in Hiatus. Smile
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 10:43
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

It's a tricky choice for me, as I've written 5-star reviews for both albums by Black Widow and Comus, but I've gone with Black Widow's "Sacrifice", because Comus' "First Utterance" gives me nightmares. Smile
By the way, it feels good to be taking part in the PA polls again after my recent long vacation in Hiatus. Smile

The last time I had serious nightmares was after my wife got me to to read Cormac McCarthy's The Road. Most of my nightmares wouldn't make for good horror reading or horror films. I have dreams like I'm a terrible stand-up comic not getting any laughs, or I'm about to perform a surgery but have no idea what to do (well, that could make for some fine horror). Most of my nightmares involve social awkwardness and embarrassment. Dreams imitate life. You might like the Message album. It is a German based band with an English singer and a Scottish guitarist, so quite British Krautrock one might say.

By the way, I know this is different from you as you like Black Widow, but some people have expressed feeling dirty or even sinful listening to Comus' First Utterance, and feel like it's an affront to the their values despite some of those feeling fine about literature or films that deal with such themes. Some treat music differently than other arts, as if it should be more genuine, and that the lyrics reflect on the makers in a way that literature commonly doesn't reflect on the authors even though a lot of songs tell stories in a fictitious manner. Just an aside... I appreciate horror of the fictitious variety, and am interested while sometimes revolted by horror of the non-fictitious kind. One person referred to First Utterance as soul-destroying, and if so, I would say that is quite the artistic accomplishment.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>