Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R.I.P. Florian Schneider from Kraftwerk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Discography Auditor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mbzr48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R.I.P. Florian Schneider from Kraftwerk
    Posted: May 06 2020 at 12:22
Kraftwerk co-founder Florian Schneider has died following a short battle with cancer R.I.P.
Disparate Times View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disparate Times Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2020 at 12:26
One of very few that had a game changing impact on music. RIP
Songs are like tightly budgeted meals
Nobodies doing anything new or even real
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2020 at 12:30
Legendary ---such a powerful influence on so many different types of music---RIP
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2020 at 12:37
RIP. Kraftwerk was and is a massively influential band. Florian was a classically trained musician and performed on flute and vibes. Fellow Organisation/Kraftwerk co-founder Ralf Hutter was initially the band's organist, also classically trained. Organisation released an album in 1970 and made their live debut the same year as a trio under their new moniker Kraftwerk.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2020 at 12:40
R.I.P. giant.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2020 at 13:07
RIP
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2020 at 15:40
Sad news. If ever there was a band who were ahead of their time it was Kraftwerk. Almost nobody was doing what they were at the time. I remember I had a compilation of theirs on cassette back in the late 80's. It covered the period of 75-78 roughly. I always enjoyed their sounds. I really need to get more of their stuff. I have electric cafe somewhere on cd but that's about it(I no longer have that old cassette tape). Anyway, RIP Florian.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - May 06 2020 at 15:41
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2020 at 15:54
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I really need to get more of their stuff.
By all means get a copy of "Minimum-Maximum" their live DVD/CD.  A really good piece of video and music.  Let me also add my condolence.  R.I.P.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2020 at 16:39
The world loses another Visionary.
I love Kraftwerk since Electric Cafe was released, but my pick is their primitive debut album. Up there with the best of ‘em. R.I.P. Florian Schneider.

Edited by Tom Ozric - May 06 2020 at 16:40
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2020 at 16:51
Another synth pioneer gone. Cry

R.I.P.

Time to put on my copy of Ralf and Florian.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brainstormer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2020 at 17:59
RIP.  Really enjoyed Audobahn when it first came out, was a groundbreaking recording. 
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2020 at 18:05
May he be enjoying the results of his hard, great work.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2020 at 18:15
Condolences to family and friends. Cry Time for another tribute listen. Unhappy
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2020 at 21:33

this is a great CD--for anyone who needs a great summary of their career---

Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I really need to get more of their stuff.
By all means get a copy of "Minimum-Maximum" their live DVD/CD.  A really good piece of video and music.  Let me also add my condolence.  R.I.P.

Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2020 at 02:24
I was lucky to see them at Tribal Gathering in 1997.  What a fantastic show.  Kraftwerk are the epitome of progressive.  Sad day for music.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2020 at 02:27
Motorway.....by powerstation, TEE is my favorite track by them tho...not played for 20 years tho...
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2020 at 04:28
Kraftwerk definitely were pioneers. for some reason I like their first 3 albums and "Radioactivity" best. R.I.P.

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2020 at 07:14
My favourites are Man Machine and Computerworld, but Autobahn is iconic, the first ones are very good, and in between they did nice stuff, too. After Computerworld they seemed to rather reproduce themselves than create, but it doesn't matter, with so much groundbreaking stuff behind, they had nothing to prove. I hope he died in peace and proud of his achievements.
MaldonTerryWood View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaldonTerryWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2020 at 10:35
Indeed. There were other bands like Tangerine Dream who were just as innovative in electronic music. But they dressed like researchers, like Stockhausen. Kraftwerk got the point that they also needed a strong visual image. And they hit it, came across like Heino's autistic younger brothers. I still believe that's why Eno dumped Tangerine Dream.
 Post Reply Post Reply