Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favourite Kraftwerk Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: What's your favourite Kraftwerk studio album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [13.16%]
1 [2.63%]
1 [2.63%]
8 [21.05%]
2 [5.26%]
7 [18.42%]
5 [13.16%]
8 [21.05%]
1 [2.63%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favourite Kraftwerk Album
    Posted: May 07 2020 at 08:52
Maybe this one was done in the past but I thought I'd create a fresh poll to honour Florian Schneider.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2020 at 09:04
This was more difficult than I thought it would be.  Ended up voting for Trans-Europe Express, more for nostalgic reasons than anything.  Nothing beats listening to that album while riding on it.  It gives  more depth to the experience which comes back every time I hear (and remember) it.

Edited by TCat - May 07 2020 at 09:04

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2020 at 09:07
The Man-Machine. No question. "The Robots" remains a dynamite tune to this day. It defines them. The sounds on that album are fantastic. 
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2020 at 09:12
Definitely Autobahn. 
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2020 at 09:23
I honestly can't vote. The albums from AUTOBAHN to MAN-MACHINE were their best. Been too long since i've spun one. Gotta change that. RIP Florian :(

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2020 at 10:20
My vote goes to Autobahn, maybe because it was my baptism with the band. However, all the other following albums from the 70's are really excellent.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2020 at 11:45
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

This was more difficult than I thought it would be.  Ended up voting for Trans-Europe Express, more for nostalgic reasons than anything.  Nothing beats listening to that album while riding on it.  It gives  more depth to the experience which comes back every time I hear (and remember) it.
The TEE suite is so hypnotic you might miss your station Tongue I actually heard it on the Intercity Express to Düsseldorf last year Smile

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

The Man-Machine. No question. "The Robots" remains a dynamite tune to this day. It defines them. The sounds on that album are fantastic. 
True. The album grabs your attention right from the start.

Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Definitely Autobahn. 
I read your Man-Machine review earlier. Now that's how you write a great 1-star review Big smile

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I honestly can't vote. The albums from AUTOBAHN to MAN-MACHINE were their best. Been too long since i've spun one. Gotta change that. RIP Florian :(
You should check out the first three albums if you didn't, there's some weird stuff in there Cool

Originally posted by VianaProghead VianaProghead wrote:

My vote goes to Autobahn, maybe because it was my baptism with the band. However, all the other following albums from the 70's are really excellent.
Was it popular here back in the day? I don't think it had a national pressing.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2020 at 11:50
^ yeah, i like the first three albums but they are inconsistent

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2020 at 11:54
^ I only heard Ralf & Florian once before and it was better than I remembered. The first two I agree but you can pick the best from both and make a nice album.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2020 at 12:07
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Definitely Autobahn. 
I read your Man-Machine review earlier. Now that's how you write a great 1-star review Big smile

Sadly, that album put me off PE for quite awhile. I happened upon Stratosphere later on (I never enjoyed TD's 80's output) which opened up a whole new level of PE for me and have since embraced Schultz, Schroeder, Pinhas..etc. As my understanding and appreciation of the genre has expanded, I feel i could actually add a star to my Autobahn rating. But MM still presses all the wrong buttons for me. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2020 at 12:28
^ It was the other way around for me, I already knew quite a few PE names when I noticed they were here and gave them a chance. My father never liked them despite being a Euro Disco/Synth Pop fan so I kind of inherited his opinion on them despite not knowing their work well enough.
I understand why you don't like MM but for me the cheesiness is part of the appeal.
Speaking of 80's TD, have you heard Tangram? I didn't like it much at first but it slowly worked its way to my top 3.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2020 at 12:29

Definitely Autobahn. 

Sadly, that album put me off PE for quite awhile. I happened upon Stratosphere later on (I never enjoyed TD's 80's output) which opened up a whole new level of PE for me and have since embraced Schultz, Schroeder, Pinhas..etc. As my understanding and appreciation of the genre has expanded, I feel i could actually add a star to my Autobahn rating. But MM still presses all the wrong buttons for me. 

If Kraftwerk was your first taste of Germany's immense electronic scene, you must have been relatively new to PE if an album like The Man-Machine discouraged you in such a way. Of course, I could be wrong.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2020 at 12:42
Autobahn is the one I'm more fond of, so it gets my vote.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2020 at 12:55
Part of the Man Machine fanclub. I also love Computer World, which I haven't heard mentioned much these days, so I thought it is underrated, but to my surprise it's actually in the lead right now. Together with that one, the first album shares the second spot. 
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2020 at 12:58
Computer World
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2020 at 13:00

Speaking of 80's TD, have you heard Tangram?

I've loved it since Day 1. Johannes Schmoelling was exactly what the band needed at the time.

Edited by verslibre - May 07 2020 at 19:11
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2020 at 13:11
Debut over 2 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2020 at 13:35
Had to pick R&F as it was the first one I got as a kid.

I did end up liking Autobahn more in my younger days. Now I find the R&F album an excellent example of avant-garde music at it's best. Autobahn was maybe more melodic.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2020 at 13:53
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Part of the Man Machine fanclub. I also love Computer World, which I haven't heard mentioned much these days, so I thought it is underrated, but to my surprise it's actually in the lead right now. Together with that one, the first album shares the second spot. 
I forgot to say I voted for Computer World. When I feel low and start questioning my career as a software developer, it always reminds me that it's more fun to compute LOL

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Speaking of 80's TD, have you heard Tangram?

I've loved it since Day 1. Johannes Schmoelling exactly what the band needed at the time.
On Day 1 I only thought that fast sequencer part on side B was cool Tongue

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2020 at 14:30
The debut for me. It’s just different from what they became. It’s pure, unadulterated Krautrock at the level of Can.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>