Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tangerine Dream - Encore

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: what is your favorite track from this live album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [22.22%]
4 [22.22%]
6 [33.33%]
4 [22.22%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tangerine Dream - Encore
    Posted: May 09 2020 at 19:27
quite simple: what is your favorite track?

mine is "Desert Dream", by the way. that track has a passage that I call "at the grave of the unknown soldier". if you listen to it you will certainly guess which passage I refer to

Edited by BaldJean - May 09 2020 at 19:34

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2020 at 19:53
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

quite simple: what is your favorite track?

mine is "Desert Dream", by the way. that track has a passage that I call "at the grave of the unknown soldier". if you listen to it you will certainly guess which passage I refer to
This is an album that I enjoy from start to finish, but I understand what you are saying about "Desert Dream" and certainly know what part you are talking about. Simply sublime.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2020 at 20:11
Going to dig this one out - had it for decades and used to spin it often. Need a refresher course on this one.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2020 at 21:20
I actually think the track "Desert Dream" has 6 parts which I name this:

1) In the Ghost Town
2) Across the Desert
3) Sol caliente y fatamorgana
4) At the Grave of the Unknown Soldier
5) The Apparition
6) The Ghost Rider in the Sky

you can certainly see that my imagination runs wild for this track. my choice of Spanish for the 3rd part of the track shows that in my imagination I am in a Mexican desert

Edited by BaldJean - May 09 2020 at 21:39

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2020 at 04:19
Right-ee-yo......It’s a toss-up (as opposed to toss-off) between Monolight and Desert Dream.
I forgot Edgar’s attempt at being a ‘guitar-hero’ on Cold Water Canyon ha ha.

Edited by Tom Ozric - May 10 2020 at 04:20
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2020 at 06:30
Hi,

I don't have a favorite, and I know I went backstage to meet them in the Greek Theater show, and was excited about seeing TD for the first and second time, in less than 2 months.

The great highlight for it all is the Greek Theater shows, and you might not remember but in those days, TD had lasers in their shows and none other than the folks at Lazerium were running them ... and guess where Lazerium is centered? Right above the Greek Theater (Griffith Observatory). And one of the highlights in the show at the Greek Theater was the trees on fire along with the music.

April 26 1977 Santa Monica Civic (1st tour) (front album picture from one of these shows)
July 12 1977 Los Angeles Greek Theater (2nd tour)(back picture of lasers in the trees, as if on fire)

Encore is recorded from the North American Tour in March/April 1977

I have never been able to decide which one I like better or worse ... I like them all and there is really no piece of music of theirs that I do not like. I'll skip this vote, but will remember very fondly and with great love, the wonderful feeling and memories, and one of those is going to the sisters for even considering their posting this ... 

I visualize a lot of this stuff, but in many ways, while I can write poetry about it, rarely can I tell you what it is what I see, many times of which it is very far away, and difficult even to describe as it is not exactly "recognizable" in plain words. A strong part of my 2nd stage of dreaming.

Edited by moshkito - May 10 2020 at 06:32
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
MFP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MFP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2020 at 07:10
Love all. Excellent album but I'll go with Desert Dream for its terrific many sections.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2020 at 07:23
Count me in for Desert Dream. It has that mysterious vibe I love so much.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2020 at 08:01
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I forgot Edgar’s attempt at being a ‘guitar-hero’ on Cold Water Canyon ha ha.

Hi,

I like the yoke, however, EF was playing guitar long before the guitar worship days ... and his playing was not about the "lead" as much as it was about one other thread of music in the complete composition, and this was one of the reasons why he declined to play with DB eventually ... he liked to flow and not stop and he would be just doing a small lead and then out ... and it just wasn't in his veins to do something like that ... I have never felt like his guitar was there just for a "lead" ... 

I wonder if the series will ever even try to have some EF "leads" on their juke box of over rated crap!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2020 at 08:02

1) In the Ghost Town
2) Across the Desert
5) The Apparition

you can certainly see that my imagination runs wild for this track. my choice of Spanish for the 3rd part of the track shows that in my imagination I am in a Mexican desert
Hey, if you ever want to come to South California, I know many places where to go in the beautiful Anza Borrego Desert, and we could also cross the border to Guadalupe Canyon in Mexicali, beautiful oasis, with amazing hot springs.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2020 at 08:06
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

1) In the Ghost Town
2) Across the Desert
5) The Apparition

Hey, if you ever want to come to South California, I know many places where to go in the beautiful Anza Borrego Desert, and we could also cross the border to Guadalupe Canyon in Mexicali, beautiful oasis, with amazing hot springs.

I was actually born in California and lived there for almost the first 25 years of my life

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2020 at 11:41
The entire album is fantastic. I'll throw a vote to CC
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2020 at 11:44
Love the entire album but for this poll "Coldwater Canyon" 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2020 at 13:50
I think they get better and better from beginning to end. Part of the Desert Dream crowd.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2020 at 17:56
I love all of it. All four sides. But for the sake of casting a vote, it's Side B, "Monolight."

The last 4'30" or so is a charming piece that was released as the B-side of the "Monolight Part II" 7" single in the UK and France, titled 'Hobo March."
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2020 at 19:00

Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

1) In the Ghost Town
2) Across the Desert
5) The Apparition

I was actually born in California and lived there for almost the first 25 years of my life
OK. so you know what I'm talking about regarding the desert. It's quite a magical place.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2020 at 19:40
Listening to it now...perhaps for the first time
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2020 at 08:40
I have and love the album but I can't remember which track  I like best...

I would listen to it... but not right now

the last track I listened to was

Asa  by Russian Circles

currently listening to

Ascend To Oblivion  by God Is an Astronaut

next up is 

Ascendant Here On  by  Steven Wilson

I think you get the picture :)
Prog On!
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2020 at 09:49
I just posted the following in another thread, but it fits here too:

there is a real movie going on in my head during "Desert Dream". at first I am in a ghost town on the edge of the desert. the new day is dawning. I walk in and out of the houses, see the layers of dust, the cobwebs, the general rot and decay. for some reason I decide to cross the desert. at first this is no problem, but as the sun rises it gets hotter and hotter, and I can hardly move anymore. there is a fata morgana of a graveside with a wooden cross. I gather all the strength I have left in fear of dying too, and I finally arrive at the graveside. the sign on the cross reads: "unknown soldier. ?-1863". I bend forward and touch the cross, and suddenly there is an apparition of a young soldier in blue uniform. he speaks to me with urgency, but there is no sound; I only see his lips moving. finally he gives up, turns and mounts the apparition of a horse with which he rides away into the sky. I look back at the cross, and it now reads "Joseph Baxter. 03-18-1843 - 05-20-1863"

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 00:27
I voted for Coldwater Canyon just to see all the tracks have equal votes! Its all a bit 'Meh' for me in all honesty. I much prefer the Poland live album that can much later. They never bettered that imo.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>