Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tangerine Dream - Encore

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: what is your favorite track from this live album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [22.22%]
4 [22.22%]
6 [33.33%]
4 [22.22%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tangerine Dream - Encore
    Posted: September 01 2020 at 19:04
All of them. This is one of my favorite Tangerine Dream releases. Not that many of their other 70s releases are too shabby either!! Thumbs Up
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2020 at 16:31
Coldwater Canyon
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 20:23
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

ok, so it was the other way round. but the fact remains they are musically identical. I personally like the Pergamon artwork better. the artwork of "Quichotte" somehow makes me think of a hand grenade, though it is probably only a closeup of headphones

No question, and I also prefer the reissue artwork. I first bought it on cassette in '86. You can also hear the opening piano section performed by Johannes on the Wavelength soundtrack.

Edited by verslibre - May 13 2020 at 20:25
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 20:13
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

"Pergamon" was republished as "Quichotte". the two are musically identical

Quichotte came first, on the East German AMIGA label in 1981.

The album was retitled Pergamon… for the 1986 Europeean (Virgin) and American (Caroline) reissues, with completely different artwork. It was reissued again in 1992 on Relativity/Sequel/Castle, and then Esoteric released a 2013 remaster with a 16-page booklet (still not the full concert).

ok, so it was the other way round. but the fact remains they are musically identical. I personally like the Pergamon artwork better. the artwork of "Quichotte" somehow makes me think of a hand grenade, though it is probably only a closeup of headphones

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 18:39

Quichotte came first, on the East German AMIGA label in 1981.

The album was retitled Pergamon… for the 1986 Europeean (Virgin) and American (Caroline) reissues, with completely different artwork. It was reissued again in 1992 on Relativity/Sequel/Castle, and then Esoteric released a 2013 remaster with a 16-page booklet (still not the full concert).
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 17:01

Edited by BaldJean - May 13 2020 at 17:02

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 15:40
It's probably OOP.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 15:17
Just checked on Amazon and the CD is not available although I do have it in my streaming library so that's something.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 15:16
Trust me, you want the FULL show!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 18:58
Pergamon is effing BRILLIANT !! Mixes a bit of Tangram in it too 👍🏼
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 17:00
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I've got Pergammon ( is that an excerpt of the concert you mention?) which is a sort of pre-version of Tangram. I do love that!

Pergamon (aka Quichotte) is indeed the same concert. But it was released in its entirety on two discs as part of Official Bootleg Series Volume Two on Cherry Red.

DISC ONE
PALAIS DES CONGRES, PARIS –
6TH MARCH 1978

1. PARIS SET ONE

DISC TWO
PALAIS DES CONGRES, PARIS –
6TH MARCH 1978

1. PARIS SET TWO
2. PARIS ENCORE ONE
3. PARIS ENCORE TWO

DISC THREE
PALAST DER REPUBLIK, EAST BERLIN –
31st JANUARY 1980

1. EAST BERLIN SET ONE

DISC FOUR
PALAST DER REPUBLIK, EAST BERLIN –
31ST JANUARY 1980

1. EAST BERLIN SET TWO
2. EAST BERLIN ENCORE

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 14:45
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I voted for Coldwater Canyon just to see all the tracks have equal votes! Its all a bit 'Meh' for me in all honesty. I much prefer the Poland live album that can much later. They never bettered that imo.

While Poland is arguably their best live outing (it was my hands-down favorite for decades), it's a different animal in terms of technology and improv (a lot of material on Poland sounds "prepared"). I love both for what they are, i.e. sonic statements relative to the time period.

P.S. The unabridged '80 Palast der Republik concert is amazing, and IMO is near Poland in intensity if not variety. Killer sounds!!

I've got Pergammon ( is that an excerpt of the concert you mention?) which is a sort of pre-version of Tangram. I do love that!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 13:37
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I forgot Edgar’s attempt at being a ‘guitar-hero’ on Cold Water Canyon ha ha.

Hi,

I like the yoke, however, EF was playing guitar long before the guitar worship days ... and his playing was not about the "lead" as much as it was about one other thread of music in the complete composition, and this was one of the reasons why he declined to play with DB eventually ... he liked to flow and not stop and he would be just doing a small lead and then out ... and it just wasn't in his veins to do something like that ... I have never felt like his guitar was there just for a "lead" ... 

I wonder if the series will ever even try to have some EF "leads" on their juke box of over rated crap!

I concur with Pedro here: I've never thought of Edgar's guitar as anything above or separate from the rest of the weave; in "Coldwater Canyon"--by far my favorite song from this album (which was, BTW, my first TD purchase back in 1977) I only hear a song tapestry, the instruments all equally contributing.

If you guys want to hear Edgar burn a great guitar lead, throw on Side 1 of Underwater Sunlight. I love that solo. Check out "Magic Lantern" from his compilation Beyond the Storm.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 13:30

I voted for Coldwater Canyon just to see all the tracks have equal votes! Its all a bit 'Meh' for me in all honesty. I much prefer the Poland live album that can much later. They never bettered that imo.

While Poland is arguably their best live outing (it was my hands-down favorite for decades), it's a different animal in terms of technology and improv (a lot of material on Poland sounds "prepared"). I love both for what they are, i.e. sonic statements relative to the time period.

P.S. The unabridged '80 Palast der Republik concert is amazing, and IMO is near Poland in intensity if not variety. Killer sounds!!
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 07:20
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I forgot Edgar’s attempt at being a ‘guitar-hero’ on Cold Water Canyon ha ha.

Hi,

I like the yoke, however, EF was playing guitar long before the guitar worship days ... and his playing was not about the "lead" as much as it was about one other thread of music in the complete composition, and this was one of the reasons why he declined to play with DB eventually ... he liked to flow and not stop and he would be just doing a small lead and then out ... and it just wasn't in his veins to do something like that ... I have never felt like his guitar was there just for a "lead" ... 

I wonder if the series will ever even try to have some EF "leads" on their juke box of over rated crap!

I concur with Pedro here: I've never thought of Edgar's guitar as anything above or separate from the rest of the weave; in "Coldwater Canyon"--by far my favorite song from this album (which was, BTW, my first TD purchase back in 1977) I only hear a song tapestry, the instruments all equally contributing.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 01:05
How can you pick just one of the Richard Strauss Four Last Songs ?
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 00:27

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2020 at 09:49
I just posted the following in another thread, but it fits here too:

there is a real movie going on in my head during "Desert Dream". at first I am in a ghost town on the edge of the desert. the new day is dawning. I walk in and out of the houses, see the layers of dust, the cobwebs, the general rot and decay. for some reason I decide to cross the desert. at first this is no problem, but as the sun rises it gets hotter and hotter, and I can hardly move anymore. there is a fata morgana of a graveside with a wooden cross. I gather all the strength I have left in fear of dying too, and I finally arrive at the graveside. the sign on the cross reads: "unknown soldier. ?-1863". I bend forward and touch the cross, and suddenly there is an apparition of a young soldier in blue uniform. he speaks to me with urgency, but there is no sound; I only see his lips moving. finally he gives up, turns and mounts the apparition of a horse with which he rides away into the sky. I look back at the cross, and it now reads "Joseph Baxter. 03-18-1843 - 05-20-1863"

digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2020 at 08:40
I have and love the album but I can't remember which track  I like best...

I would listen to it... but not right now

the last track I listened to was

Asa  by Russian Circles

currently listening to

Ascend To Oblivion  by God Is an Astronaut

next up is 

Ascendant Here On  by  Steven Wilson

I think you get the picture :)
Prog On!
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2020 at 19:40
Listening to it now...perhaps for the first time
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>