Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Songs  "sinister"/"evil" as Master Builder - Gong
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Songs "sinister"/"evil" as Master Builder - Gong

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 05:15
Howlett sure is something - I mean keeping up with Moerlen and being creative at it. Certainly a bassist who doesn’t receive much praise as he deserves.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 07:26
A trippy feel can be a very subjective experience also. And can convey a color pallet of variation in your psyche. Also sounds and the fusion of rythem, melody and harmony can produce a seductive/sinister/erousing/erotic/jolly mood. This track in particular have an undertone that to me is uncanny./ insomoniactic feel. Like a wild dream in a hot midsummer with to warm nights. Absint induced
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 07:47
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Howlett sure is something - I mean keeping up with Moerlen and being creative at it. Certainly a bassist who doesn’t receive much praise as he deserves.

Hi,

Agreed! Ten times over! 

One of my favorite quotes ... when he was warming up in Eugene ... "is it too bass'y?" ... I'm thinking he was too worried about taking the limelight from others when the whole aspect should be the music as a whole, not one instrument. On top of it, his bass guitar was falling apart at the top ... the little piece that holds the strings up a bit had crumbled and they could not find one that fit and someone actually built one to fit within an hour!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 08:05
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Agreed! Ten times over! 

One of my favorite quotes ... when he was warming up in Eugene ... "is it too bass'y?" ... I'm thinking he was too worried about taking the limelight from others when the whole aspect should be the music as a whole, not one instrument. On top of it, his bass guitar was falling apart at the top ... the little piece that holds the strings up a bit had crumbled and they could not find one that fit and someone actually built one to fit within an hour!
Cool story !! Howlett was on fire for the Shamal album. I loved what Christian Tritsch was doing, but enter Mike Howlett, and he hit it out of the park !! Hands down the best bassist Gong ever recruited.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 09:08
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Agreed! Ten times over! 

Great story, M! 

I was blessed to see Gong on two consecutive nights at a smallish club in Chicago, "Cubby Bear," March 10-11, 1996....they were amazing!  Daevid, Bloomdido, Mike Howlett etc. and Stefi Sharpstrings on guitar....

Howlett was playing his very beat-up orange Fender Precision bass guitar and lit the place up!  One of my most memorable concerts, ever!

OP may want to revisit LTIA era King Crimson for music reminiscent of the style of Gong "You."  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12