Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

80's vs 90's prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 17:05
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

^ So far i'm digging Univers Zero and Art Zoyd a lot. I wasn't around, but compared to the lackluster 80s prog scene I can only assume the 90s resurgence felt specialLOL

It's funny how so many people refer to it as a resurgence. Yeah, I suppose technically it could be called that but it was mostly just people rediscovering prog and saying to themselves "wow, this stuff is still around." I don't think prog really got many younger or newer fans(if polls are to be believed)until the 2000's. But I suppose the influx of bands who started out because they got the word through the burgeoning internet could be considered a resurgence(for lack of a better term).
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 17:29
The 90s wasn't a resurgence. It was the "Third Wave." Prog never went away.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 17:33

^ So far i'm digging Univers Zero and Art Zoyd a lot. I wasn't around, but compared to the lackluster 80s prog scene I can only assume the 90s resurgence felt specialLOL

Myth. Time to broaden your focus, son. WinkLOL
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 17:45
I guess 90's for me, though I still have some checking out to do on both decades, but specially on the 80's... I guess mostly on Neo and Prog Metal, to begin with.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 18:41
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I think it's hard to argue that it was probably the weakest, or least significant decade for prog music. But I could very well be wrong. Plenty of good releases in the mix though.

Edited by dougmcauliffe - May 12 2020 at 18:42
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 18:46

The 90s wasn't a resurgence. It was the "Third Wave." Prog never went away.

I agree. Same thing with the 80's. 
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 21:40

How I view these two decades:

1980s = Tangerine Dream, King Crimson, Eloy and Rush kicked a lot of ass.

1990s = Japanese prog and fusion bands kicked a lot of ass.

Thanks for this!  I was an active musician in the 80s and 90s, and I thought jazz-rock fusion had a great run during both decades.  Bands I saw live in the 80s included Al Dimeola, Chick Corea, Pat Metheny, etc.  90's saw the reunion of Dixie Dregs, great shows by Brand X, tons more. 

However, I'm not familiar with Japanese prog, could you be specific? 
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 22:36
^Koenji Hyakkei, Bondage Fruit, Tipographica and Happy Family were Japanese prog bands from the 90's. Symph prog was the main prog for 80's Japanese bands while in the 90's the avant bands like those I just mentioned seemed to take center stage.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - May 12 2020 at 22:37
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 23:20
Again. People are claiming that stuff like the cardiacs is prog...lets face it neither Genesis nor Rush priduced prog in the eighties...and a lot of the so called neo-prog bands were forced to water diwn their prog to try and sell it...just coz your taste includes pop does not make the eighties great....only when prog became less commercial in the 90's, did we see proper prog again be released....so 90s it is by a mile...
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 02:46
Although it's considered that the 80's killed prog and the 90's was some kind of a revival (which is basically true), there are tons of bands in the 80's still playing adventurous music. I think in general the 90's generated bands that were more consistent and more well known because of their...let say "Mainstream" approach rather than the 80's which were still maintaining an experimental approach, for example bands like DT, Ozric Tentacles, Pendragon, Porcupine Tree, The Flower Kings, Anglagard, Anekdoten, Spock's Beard, Pain Of Salvation and a lot of other metal bands enjoyed moderate success and interest. A lot of the 80's bands didn't make it to the 90's like Marillion did and vanished. Furthermore I think 1981 was as good and important to prog as the late 70's years. 

Here's a small list of bands that I remember but there are so many more...

80's - Dun, Eskaton, However, Present, 5uu's, Abus Dangereux, Altais/Apsara, Amenophis, Anamorphose, Asia Minor, Bacamarte, Bi Kyo Ran, Cai, Eider Stellaire, Equilibrio Vital, Isildurs Bane, Jean Paul Prat, Kultivator, Paga Group, Pablo El Enterrador, Patrick Gauthier, Plj Band, Serge Bringolf, Shub Niggurath, Solaris, Terpandre, This Heat, Zamla Mammaz Manna, Mars Everywhere. 

90's - Il Berlione, Kingston Wall, Xaal, 5uu's, Ayreon, Bi Kyo Ran, Bondage Fruit, Djem Karet, Echolyn, Eclat, Happy Family, Isildurs Bane, Landberk, Mansun, Orphand Land, Pangee,  Pan.Thy.Monium, Finnegans Wake.

Edited by Sagichim - May 13 2020 at 02:51
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 04:28

I think it's hard to argue that it was probably the weakest, or least significant decade for prog music. But I could very well be wrong. Plenty of good releases in the mix though.

Hahaha, just posted this on the top 10 prog albums ever thread elsewhere:
Holger Czukay - Movies
King Crimson - Discipline
Kate Bush - The Dreaming
Camberwell Now - The Ghost Trade
.O.Rang - Herd of Instinct
Talk Talk - Laughing Stock
David Sylvian - Brilliant Trees
Can - Soon over Babaluma
Manfred Mann"s Earth Band - Nightingales and Bombers
Brian Eno and David Byrne - My Life in the Bush of Ghosts

Decades:
Three from 70s
Five from 80s
Two from 90s => 80s were the best prog decade ever.

Edited by Lewian - May 13 2020 at 05:02
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 10:10
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Although it's considered that the 80's killed prog and the 90's was some kind of a revival (which is basically true), there are tons of bands in the 80's still playing adventurous music. I think in general the 90's generated bands that were more consistent and more well known because of their...let say "Mainstream" approach rather than the 80's which were still maintaining an experimental approach, for example bands like DT, Ozric Tentacles, Pendragon, Porcupine Tree, The Flower Kings, Anglagard, Anekdoten, Spock's Beard, Pain Of Salvation and a lot of other metal bands enjoyed moderate success and interest. A lot of the 80's bands didn't make it to the 90's like Marillion did and vanished. Furthermore I think 1981 was as good and important to prog as the late 70's years. 

Here's a small list of bands that I remember but there are so many more...

80's - Dun, Eskaton, However, Present, 5uu's, Abus Dangereux, Altais/Apsara, Amenophis, Anamorphose, Asia Minor, Bacamarte, Bi Kyo Ran, Cai, Eider Stellaire, Equilibrio Vital, Isildurs Bane, Jean Paul Prat, Kultivator, Paga Group, Pablo El Enterrador, Patrick Gauthier, Plj Band, Serge Bringolf, Shub Niggurath, Solaris, Terpandre, This Heat, Zamla Mammaz Manna, Mars Everywhere. 

90's - Il Berlione, Kingston Wall, Xaal, 5uu's, Ayreon, Bi Kyo Ran, Bondage Fruit, Djem Karet, Echolyn, Eclat, Happy Family, Isildurs Bane, Landberk, Mansun, Orphand Land, Pangee,  Pan.Thy.Monium, Finnegans Wake.

Djam Karet were around in the 80's though(they had three releases in that decade). 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 15:22
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Djam Karet were around in the 80's though(they had three releases in that decade). 

Not only that, but their 1989 record Reflections from the Firepool is one of the best prog albums of the '80s. It's also one of Greg Walker's favorite 25 prog albums.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 15:38
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

How I view these two decades:

1980s = Tangerine Dream, King Crimson, Eloy and Rush kicked a lot of ass.

1990s = Japanese prog and fusion bands kicked a lot of ass.

Thanks for this!  I was an active musician in the 80s and 90s, and I thought jazz-rock fusion had a great run during both decades.  Bands I saw live in the 80s included Al Dimeola, Chick Corea, Pat Metheny, etc.  90's saw the reunion of Dixie Dregs, great shows by Brand X, tons more. 

However, I'm not familiar with Japanese prog, could you be specific?

Japan has produced some dynamite prog and prog-fusion, but not all of it has been reissued on CD. A few off the top of my head:

ARS NOVA (symph and heavy symph, their first few albums are the best) start with Transi and Goddess of Darkness

GERARD (heavy symph, many albums, some vocals, avoid the '80s stuff) start with Live at Marseilles

KENNEDY – three albums, Twinkling NASA (1986), Kennedy! (1987), and Triangle Motion (2015), all available on CD

KENSO – holds the title as Japan's best prog-fusion band for many; many albums, and you can start almost anywhere

MONGOL – Doppler 444 (1997, reissued in 2013)

PRISM – formed in the '70s, first album in 1975; they still record and perform and have a recent live album

TRI-OFFENSIVE – one spectacular self-titled CD (2009) of guitar-centric heavy fusion

BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 07:58
I feel that my cup was still filled to brimming with great "proggy" music in the 1980s, but many of the bands that I felt were "carrying the torch" of "progress" are not considered proggy here (XTC, Bruce Cockburn, Jane Siberry, Cocteau Twins and other 4 A.D. bands, The Cure, Depeche Mode, Tears for Fears, New Order, Ryuichi Sakamoto, etc.)

I was not very present for music in the 1990s (and 2000s) due to parenting, but, thanks to PA, I have discovered a rich and burgeoning movement of more true progressive rock music: Pendragon, Iona, Fates Warning, Thinking Plague, Änglagård, Par Lindh Project, After Crying, Landberk, Blind Guardian, Ayreon, The Gathering, Radiohead, Ozric Tentacles, Anekdoten, The Flower Kings, Ulver, Dream Theater, Angra, Bondage Fruit, Tool, Psychotic Waltz, Opeth, Talk Talk, Collage, Abraxas, Albion, Quidam, The Cardiacs, Pat Metheny, Neurosis, Mr. Bungle, Höyry-Kone, French TV, Sinkadus, Cheer-Accident, Liquid Tension Experiment, In The Woods, U Totem, Universal Totem Orchestra, Sieges Even, Cynic, Death, Porcupine Tree, Art Zoyd, Kingston Wall, Echolyn, Anthony Phillips, Voivod, Mr. Sirius, Symphony X, Marillion, IQ, Solaris, Citizen Cain, Present, Kalaban, Godspeed You Black Emperor, Bark Psychosis, Sigur Rós, and even Mike Oldfield put out excellent albums in the 1990s--which, in my opinion, trumps the entire output of "progressive rock music" from the 1980s.  
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 13:01

Yes I know.

Not only that, but their 1989 record Reflections from the Firepool is one of the best prog albums of the '80s. It's also one of Greg Walker's favorite 25 prog albums.
Indeed Reflections is a great album.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 13:22
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Yes I know.

Indeed Reflections is a great album.

Then why lump then in with the 90's?
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 14:36
^There are too many bands to remember, one slipped away, no biggy. It's hardly the point of my post.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 14:59
Not much of a choice, Uh??ShockedOuch

Between the 80's neo-prog and the 90's Progmetal, i'm not sure I want to choose anything. DeadTongueWink

Jesssss kidinnnnnn',Big smile but i do believe we shouldn't look at 70's bands and what they did in those decades

The choice is difficult, mostly because the 80's is where RIO became avant-prog (though the name would come much later), but the rise of Magna Carta label (really not my thing, but I cannot deny its influence) and the Swedish retro wave are both really important.

The 80's prog is really only half a decade (not sure there is anything really worthy from 86 until 91, except the odd Swiss group doing weird sh*t (>> thinking of Nimal) and a couple of Quebecois(es) (thinking of Wondeur Brass and Miriodor. Belgo-French RIO was dead (don't speak to me about Shub-Niggurath, pleaseDead), and Marillion & IQ were sucking heavily by then too.
But as my buddy Ken says until 83/4, there were still some good albums coming out so it counter-balances the later cruddy years. Anyways, I only discovred the RIO bands in the mid-90's, so when living through the 80's, it was a big desert (all of the rock-pop domain), which is why I set out to discover the 60's (rock & jazz) and the early 70's that I'd missed (too ypoung at the time)

The 90's are not all that great either, especially if you exclude the Post-Rock bands. Sure the Magna Carta and progmetal stuff (I liked neither) and the Swedish wave (not very many really good one >> my two hands suffice to count the great or fantastic albums)

I certainly enjoyed the 90's a lot more than the 80's while loving thru them, but it wasn't becessarily only because of prog: I also appreciated Grunge, Trip-Hop, Post Rock, RHCP and RATM.

Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

I'll add a big movement in Polish prog was initiated in the 1980s but flourished in the 1990s with Collage, Albion, Annalist, Quidam, Abraxas, and others

That's all neo-prog KenWink, even if 90's neo stuff. Tongue

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 15:04
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

.O.Rang - Herd of Instinct
Talk Talk - Laughing Stock

Isn't it time that we think about including .O.Rang in the DB??

I mean it's the continuation of Talk Talk without Mark Hollis (the other two are still there  > bassist Rustin Man also just put out two great album in the last 16 months) and their two albums are definitely worthy of being almost equel to Talk's latest two albums.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>