Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

80's vs 90's prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2020 at 10:35
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

What about Britpop? That sorted out grunge for me!

Some of the Britpop bands I really like are Coldplay, Ocean Colour Scene, and The Stone Roses, although I can't stand Oasis. I much prefer this Austin Powers-like version of Wonderwall by The Mike Flowers Pops. Smile

That's the first time I've heard Coldplay described as brit pop. Maybe because it's usually considered an early 90's thing and they were later. OCS I don't know. I would say Oasis, Blur and Pulp among others. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 25 2020 at 10:36
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2020 at 10:57
^ I think that's the first time I've heard Coldplay described as Britpop too. Smile
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2020 at 11:43

^ I think that's the first time I've heard Coldplay described as Britpop too. Smile

What do you mean? You're the first one(at least on here)to describe them as brit pop! TongueWink
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2020 at 11:59
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

What do you mean? You're the first one(at least on here)to describe them as brit pop! TongueWink
I know, it was just my idea of a joke, which fell as flat as a proverbial pancake. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 25 2020 at 12:01
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2020 at 23:16
I love that version 

"You're my wonderwall." CHACHACHA
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2020 at 13:41
80's makes a case with Rush, Marillion, KC etc., but I'll have to go with 90's. I got into prog in the early 2000's as a teenager and my first obsession was Porcupine Tree, which I still hold in high regard. Other favorites from the 90's include Opeth, Tool, Sigurd Ros, IQ, Radiohead, Pendragon.

Edited by Zeph - August 27 2020 at 13:45
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2020 at 22:43
I like plenty from the 90s but most of it is not considered Prog. While there are many albums, mostly of the RIO/Avant prog (and related) variety, that I love, the 80s has so many of my favourite albums in PA (again, mostly of the RIO/Avant Prog and related variety, such as Zeuhl, and various electronic ones, various Canterbury etc. ). It's a favourite decade of mine for music. If I wasn't into the more "avant" side of music, than I don't think I'd be nearly as keen on the 80s.

I've seen lots of people bash the 80s, but not many RIO/Avant Prog fans would bash it I would think (nor many who are into Neo-Prog).

Art Zoyd alone was, I think, magnificent in the 80s (love the 90s albums too), but then there's Dun, Eskaton, Cardiacs (also very good in the 90s), Univers Zero, News from Babel, Present, Familjesprickor, Picchio dal Pozzo, Zanov, Jean-Paul Prat, Paga and so many others that had, I think, superb releases in the 80s. And Kate Bush and Laurie Anderson in the crossover vein... And Bobby Beausoleil's Lucifer Rising if one counts the 1980 release and many, many more.

I'm not interested in most of the big "Prog" names in the 80s or 90s, and my tastes are less prog mainstream (or mainstream period) than most.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2020 at 14:39
Gotta say the 90s. Had more bands popping up, many of which became the leading acts of the 21st century and helped revive the genre... a lot.
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2020 at 15:42

Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

What about Britpop? That sorted out grunge for me!

Some of the Britpop bands I really like are Coldplay, Ocean Colour Scene, and The Stone Roses, although I can't stand Oasis. I much prefer this Austin Powers-like version of Wonderwall by The Mike Flowers Pops. Smile

Haha, I love this version too. Made even better due to the fact that Liam Gallagher hated it.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2020 at 15:45
I like Oasis but I can't stand Wonderwall.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Blaqua View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blaqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 12:23

90s, as they saw the emergence of many new bands from the US, Sweden and elsewhere, rock or metal likewise. The 80s, despite some talented bands such as IQ, Pallas or amazing albums such as Bacamarte’s, saw something else: the decline of prog in favour of other styles, new wave, alt rock, synthpop etc.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234