Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Haken Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Haken Album
    Posted: May 13 2020 at 14:48
Haken's 6th album is out in a few weeks. Two videos are out there. Thoughts?

Administrators, there is a 3 star rating that should be removed, as the album has not been released.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 14:51
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Haken's 6th album is out in a few weeks. Two videos are out there. Thoughts?

Administrators, there is a 3 star rating that should be removed, as the album has not been released.

I heard the two songs and I'm looking forward to listening to the whole album. 
Good point about the rating removal. Thumbs Up 
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 14:54
Will investigate.
A Bard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 15:14
Whats the best Haken starter album so I can enjoy this new one that they are releasing 
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 16:04
I've tried this band a few times and nothing has really grabbed me, I'm not crazy about their squeaky clean production but i'd definitely be willing to try them again.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 16:58
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I've tried this band a few times and nothing has really grabbed me, I'm not crazy about their squeaky clean production but i'd definitely be willing to try them again.

The only one I have by them is Affinity which was two albums ago. It's ok but it didn't really knock my socks off. I think the mountain is usually the one that is their most acclaimed. Some people claim that they mix regular prog with prog metal but to me it's mostly metal albeit prog metal.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 17:11
Originally posted by A Bard A Bard wrote:

Whats the best Haken starter album so I can enjoy this new one that they are releasing 
Visions. Try to find the original mix. The new mix is too LOUD!

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - May 13 2020 at 17:14
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 17:34

This song is fierce.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 18:19

I started with The Mountain, which has a completely different feel than all the others. It has more classic prog characteristics. Honestly, it kind of ruined them for me because the others have become a little formulaic.

anyway, that's just one nerds opinion. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 18:36
^The Mountain is awesome. Visions also sounds different and is superb. Their last album was the one, for me, that was formulaic
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 19:32

This song is fierce.

That's pretty cool. They've bucked the trend and become MORE metal as time goes on.

Interesting that the album is called VIRUS. Quite a coincidence.

Personally i like the first two albums. ViSIONS is probably the best.

THE MOUNTAIN is decent but a little too derivative of classic prog.

I missed the last one but now i gotta catch up i guess.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 23:41
I have all Haken albums, the first 3 albums are excellent. More melodic, Dream Theater lite......Affinity started down the more metal, thrashy writing and Vector is pretty much prog-metal Dream Theater heavy. I'm expecting Virus to be in the same vein as Vector.
Homotopy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homotopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 06:27
The band is confidently rolling towards generic technical metal, which is terribly sad.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 06:44
Originally posted by Homotopy Homotopy wrote:

The band is confidently rolling towards generic technical metal, which is terribly sad.

I disagree, how can they be generic when they are one of the unique progressive metal bands?
They've always been technical, or better said skilled, there's plenty of melody in their music. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 06:46

They are progressing to where they want to be. Good for them, not rehashing the same album over and over. Their last album, Vector is my least favorite, but I still enjoy it.

There is Richard Henshall's brilliant solo album from last year, that is far from metal. Or his metal-jazz work with Nova Collective. Both provide alternatives to Haken's direction.
Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 06:56
I loved Affinity, everything else was more regular stuff for me
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 09:38
Good band but I can't get too excited about them. Unfortunately. 
The Prog Corner
GoliathTMV View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoliathTMV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 09:40

In terms of quality, Aquarius or The Mountain but it's a sequel to Vector so check that out too
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 11:12
There's only five albums and the Restoration EP. Just listen to them all. Including the EP, it's one of their best efforts. Agree that Vector especially has pulled them down the prog metal route, and it seems Virus will be similar. It was ok, but probably my least favorite by them.I actually really like Affinity. I heard more of a crossover sound in there, in addition to the heavy, sometimes metal, and melodic prog. I like it a lot. But yeah the first three albums and the EP are just golden. I always tell people to listen to Atlas Stone to get them interested in the band. Good one to pique curiosity.
Homotopy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homotopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 11:43

They are progressing to where they want to be. Good for them, not rehashing the same album over and over.

This can be said about any band changing direction, for instance from prog to pop. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>