Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Haken Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homotopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 11:51
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Homotopy Homotopy wrote:

The band is confidently rolling towards generic technical metal, which is terribly sad.

I disagree, how can they be generic when they are one of the unique progressive metal bands?
They've always been technical, or better said skilled, there's plenty of melody in their music. 
What's so unique about Vector or their new single that sounds like a song from Train of Thought? 
And I don't hear too much melody on Vector, rather lots of djdjdj and bambambam. 
I'm not saying Vector sucks, which you guys try to refute. I'm saing it's not a surprise for me that The Mountain is top159 all-time whilst Vector is "good".
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 12:00

The band is confidently rolling towards generic technical metal, which is terribly sad.

I disagree, how can they be generic when they are one of the unique progressive metal bands?
They've always been technical, or better said skilled, there's plenty of melody in their music. 
What's so unique about Vector or their new single that sounds like a song from Train of Thought? 
And I don't hear too much melody on Vector, rather lots of djdjdj and bambambam. 
I'm not saying Vector sucks, which you guys try to refute. I'm saing it's not a surprise for me that The Mountain is top159 all-time whilst Vector is "good".

the way I see it, they are technical, but still catchy. 
I find them unique, they are djenty, catchy, heavy, calling them generic is harsh, they don't have a heard it all before done to death sound. 
foregonillusions View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foregonillusions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 15:53

Nothing you've said is indicative of a "unique" progressive metal band. With that criteria, whatever Dream Theater is making nowadays is unique. There's nothing wrong with liking Haken's current music. I can get down with their djent (though tiring after a while), but unique is a stretch.

This can be said about any band changing direction, for instance from prog to pop. 

Indeed. Change is not necessarily progressive; it can be regressive too.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 17:37
Originally posted by foregonillusions foregonillusions wrote:

Nothing you've said is indicative of a "unique" progressive metal band. With that criteria, whatever Dream Theater is making nowadays is unique. There's nothing wrong with liking Haken's current music. I can get down with their djent (though tiring after a while), but unique is a stretch.

I wasn't trying to prove they are unique, just that I don't find them generic. Generic is just a fancy word to describe something that is predictable, mediocre which IMHO Haken has never been. Also I dare call them one of the unique bands because I haven't heard other bands that sound like them. 

So if unique is a stretch, generic is a stretch, too. LOL
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 18:58
The only album from these guys I have is The Mountain, and it’s a beauty. And I love the song posted earlier in this thread. Quality Prog-Metal, better than DT. Anything but ‘generic’.

Edited by Tom Ozric - May 14 2020 at 18:58
foregonillusions View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foregonillusions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 22:56

I wasn't trying to prove they are unique, just that I don't find them generic. Generic is just a fancy word to describe something that is predictable, mediocre which IMHO Haken has never been. Also I dare call them one of the unique bands because I haven't heard other bands that sound like them. 

Fair enough, but since turning to djent, I think they're prone to monotony. The fact that the keyboard tends to be another rhythm propagator is depressing. I know these guys can make some damn fine prog too, which is why it's all the more painful. If their past is any indication, they'll hopefully move onto a new style.
With all that said, I'm still going to buy Virus, and I'm still going to like it.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 23:07
I have all their albums and along with BBT they are one of my current favourites. The Mountain is a bit overrated and too derivative of other bands for my liking. The Cockroach King is great (GG vibe) but the rest is unremarkable. Like BBT they are quite a large ensemble of musicians and are a bit of a heavy prog orchestra if such a thing can exist! I would recommend the live DVD. 
Affinity is easily my favourite by them but I enjoyed the last one so very much looking forward to the next.
BTW all the lazy Dream Theater references being chucked around - tut tut. Give them a chance please.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2020 at 00:08
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I have all their albums and along with BBT they are one of my current favourites. The Mountain is a bit overrated and too derivative of other bands for my liking. The Cockroach King is great (GG vibe) but the rest is unremarkable. Like BBT they are quite a large ensemble of musicians and are a bit of a heavy prog orchestra if such a thing can exist! I would recommend the live DVD. 
Affinity is easily my favourite by them but I enjoyed the last one so very much looking forward to the next.
BTW all the lazy Dream Theater references being chucked around - tut tut. Give them a chance please.

My favorite off The Mountain is Atlas Stone. It's the one I show to people to introduce them to the band, and they always think it's awesome.
Homotopy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homotopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2020 at 01:41

Note that there was "towards" in my post. It's less and less of a stretch is what was said.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 06:00
Finally heard Virus in its entirety. Could be their heaviest so far, but at the same time, some of the breaks are the most creative/progressive they have ever been. They are pushing boundaries. This album will take time to digest, but so far so good.

However, the mix/master is awful. There is no dynamic range and the life has been sucked out of this. Why do they do this, and who likes this sound? And does anyone listen to the instrumental disc (Cd 2)?

dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 07:19
Listened to the first half, gonna finish it today. Carousel was great.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 12:38
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Finally heard Virus in its entirety. Could be their heaviest so far, but at the same time, some of the breaks are the most creative/progressive they have ever been. They are pushing boundaries. This album will take time to digest, but so far so good.

However, the mix/master is awful. There is no dynamic range and the life has been sucked out of this. Why do they do this, and who likes this sound? And does anyone listen to the instrumental disc (Cd 2)?

If I get this album it will be the record LP version......Already on the DR website the CD is coming in at avg DR of 6-7....BAD!! The LP is at avg of 11.

Nuff said, CDs sux. And who does this?? Very bad mastering engineer....some guy named Ermin Hamidovic?? from Australia. Looks like the LP version was cut and pressed at Optimal Media in Germany, theee best on the planet.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 13:45
There shouldn't be a problem with dynamics on a CD. It is a shame it sounds like this. Don't know if it was the mix or the mastering. It was Haken's choice to use this engineer.

Enjoy the LP if you get it. The music is wonderful.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 14:15
Virus continues with the heavy, metallic sound they showed in Vector. It's an intense listen and I prefer the light and shade of the earlier albums. If that's the way they want to go, that is fine - they'll probably get a larger audience within prog metal than focusing on more of a more traditional prog feel. There are good moments and I think the Messiah Complex suite is an interesting listen - but they have drifted to the edge of my listening range compared to Aquarius and Visions. C'est la vie, but I wish them well.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 15:10

There shouldn't be a problem with dynamics on a CD. It is a shame it sounds like this. Don't know if it was the mix or the mastering. It was Haken's choice to use this engineer.

Enjoy the LP if you get it. The music is wonderful.

There is not a problem with dynamics on a CD, unless you have no idea what you are doing........You've heard of the loudness wars right?? Prime example, this CD is brickwalled, terrible.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 15:35
I'm just going to stream it like I do everything now. Don't like CDs. I'll buy it on Apple if it's good enough, but probably not if it's anything like Vector, as I've been told it is.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 16:10
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Virus continues with the heavy, metallic sound they showed in Vector. It's an intense listen and I prefer the light and shade of the earlier albums. If that's the way they want to go, that is fine - they'll probably get a larger audience within prog metal than focusing on more of a more traditional prog feel. There are good moments and I think the Messiah Complex suite is an interesting listen - but they have drifted to the edge of my listening range compared to Aquarius and Visions. C'est la vie, but I wish them well.

That's kinda where I'm headed....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 13:00
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Yep, killer tune. For those who don't care for the direction they are going in. Your loss. Yes it's heavier than the first two albums, but it is also the most progressive they have ever been. This album shows they are one of the most original prog-metal bands making music today. Virus is dense and it takes time to appreciate. I love everything about this but the mix. If only it wasn't crushed.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 13:30

Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Yep, killer tune. For those who don't care for the direction they are going in. Your loss. Yes it's heavier than the first two albums, but it is also the most progressive they have ever been. This album shows they are one of the most original prog-metal bands making music today. Virus is dense and it takes time to appreciate. I love everything about this but the mix. If only it wasn't crushed.

Correction...It's not MY loss. I don't see how doing what other bands have done is progressive anymore?? I enjoy prog-metal, but there is so much of it out there the choices are endless. So far this is the only Haken album I have not bought on release date....seems that is their loss right now.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 13:47
^Have you heard the album? To me, it does not sound like any other prog-metal band. They are not doing what other bands have done. They are creating something different.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>