FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRoger Waters Wacked

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 01:31
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Genesis wouold've loved to keep Gabe in, while SB +/- kicked their Walrus foul-breath frontman out.

I don't remember if I came across this in a Prog magazine article or in that Genesis documentary but, quite the opposite, Gabe described things as having reached a breaking point.  Years back when I had read a detailed article about Lamb too, it described the rest of the band as feeling Gabe got all the credit and that on this album, all the dramatising got out of control and overshadowed/marred the band.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 01:54
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Genesis wouold've loved to keep Gabe in, while SB +/- kicked their Walrus foul-breath frontman out.

I don't remember if I came across this in a Prog magazine article or in that Genesis documentary but, quite the opposite, Gabe described things as having reached a breaking point.  Years back when I had read a detailed article about Lamb too, it described the rest of the band as feeling Gabe got all the credit and that on this album, all the dramatising got out of control and overshadowed/marred the band.

Well, there were tensions between the two Garden Wall members (Tony & Peter), but this was dating pre-Lamb. I read that Tony was really not happy with Peter coming out with the red dress and foxhead (he said it was not concerted with others), while the previous old'man mask (Musical box), the weird angular shape and batwings hadn't ruffled a feather. I guess that never camed down (I read Banks as a very stubborn man, and a control freak). And if reports that Gabe did come in one night and put that anazing slew of lyrics on Epping Forest are even remotely true (this sounds like total fantasy to me), this could be another stepping stone in the feud.

Yes, Tony certainly felt Peter was getting too much attention and probably fely he was taking it purposely (as opposed to thinking that it's normal that the press speaks about the frontman).

No such thing about Floyd, that was often called in the press the "faceless band"
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 03:38

Well, there were tensions between the two Garden Wall members (Tony & Peter), but this was dating pre-Lamb. I read that Tony was really not happy with Peter coming out with the red dress and foxhead (he said it was not concerted with others), while the previous old'man mask (Musical box), the weird angular shape and batwings hadn't ruffled a feather. I guess that never camed down (I read Banks as a very stubborn man, and a control freak). And if reports that Gabe did come in one night and put that anazing slew of lyrics on Epping Forest are even remotely true (this sounds like total fantasy to me), this could be another stepping stone in the feud.

Yes, Tony certainly felt Peter was getting too much attention and probably fely he was taking it purposely (as opposed to thinking that it's normal that the press speaks about the frontman).

No such thing about Floyd, that was often called in the press the "faceless band"

I cited a parallel to Floyd in the sense that the frontman and lyricist Waters' role grew outsize with the success of concept albums.  In fairness to Floyd, they put up with him right until the point he decided to chuck them out of the band after an album he had written all by himself bombed. Whereas, yes, Gabriel's intentions weren't malafide; it was just and always has been about control in Genesis and control rests with Tony and his sidekick Mike. From the docu, it seemed like Mike's rapport with Hackett was even worse than Banks-Hackett. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 04:07
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

You would have enjoyed that part of the sixties Jose! Smile

that was religious narrow-mindedness and fanaticism. 
oh, it wasn't that bad. They only burned their albums. There was a time when the Christians would have actually burned the Beatles. LOL

having a closer look, it's a rather disturbing picture as I see adults encouraging the youngsters to burn the albums. 
That was typical 1950s/early1960s adult/youth bonding. Next to the duck and cover drills at school, it was the highlight of the week! And look at how happy everyone in the photo is! Pure bliss!

Edited by SteveG - May 27 2020 at 04:09
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 09:47
Don't worry Cristi. In the span of 3 short years, the kid in the photo turned into this!
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 10:20
^ Prog Jesus.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 11:01

Don't worry Cristi. In the span of 3 short years, the kid in the photo turned into this!

My thought was "Died of complications secondary to leukemia after breathing all that burning vinyl smoke", but yours is a happier thought.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 11:52
I like to think that he lived to a ripe old burned out age with his 9th wife who goes by the name of Moonchild.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567