Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How would you rate Yes' Close to the Edge album?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How would you rate Yes' Close to the Edge album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Poll Question: Based on your appreciation, which of these ratings comes closest?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
55 [53.92%]
18 [17.65%]
18 [17.65%]
5 [4.90%]
4 [3.92%]
2 [1.96%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 16:49
To me is a 5 stars album, but not the master piece of all master pieces. One of the most important albums of the gloden era of progressive music, but not the ultimate progressive music album. 
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 15:32
4 stars. Yeah title track and khatru start well but drop off a bit. You and I is solid
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 09:01
https://youtu.be/GvEfa5zKK7g

this will explain to those who don't understand LOL 
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 06:14
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Exemplary progressive rock, and my favorite prog album of all time, hands down, no contest.

6/5 stars, no hyperbole. It breaks ratings. It transcends itself, and the genre, while the genre was just starting to really take off. Untouchable for me.

Exactly!  Albums such as this transcended the genre along with 'Tarkus' etc.  A touchstone album that really does not need to be re-assessed or re-analysed...
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 04:31
Exemplary progressive rock, and my favorite prog album of all time, hands down, no contest.

6/5 stars, no hyperbole. It breaks ratings. It transcends itself, and the genre, while the genre was just starting to really take off. Untouchable for me.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 03:58
^ Umm, punctuation would be nice
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 03:15
My opinion is based on the first 50 times I played the album , I must have listened to Close to the edge over 300 times in my life maybe more Yes and Kansas were the first prog bands I ever got into these two bands opened up an infinite field of progressive possibility .. led to King crimson & Rush, Elp & Genesis etc etc etc from there Marillion (who still carried the prog flag in the 80's) I was open minded when it came to prog, those were great days of discovery memories which I treasure.  Tongue

Edited by Enchant X - May 22 2020 at 03:19
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 19:45
Five stars
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 16:03
5 stars for me is sublime, amazing, life changing, mind altering, revelatory. I have a lot of five star ratings and might now be harsher, but all of those I adored at one time.

Edited by Logan - May 21 2020 at 16:05
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 15:58
My ratings (if I use them) tends to give 5 stars for anything 'excellent' rather than just 'very good' - so I do have a lot of 5 star albums and this is very near the top of that list!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 15:17
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

^ I don't know if you read my later response about TFTO, but I was amazed at how much I enjoyed Tales From Topographic Oceans yesterday. It truly was a most magical trip. It's one of those albums you really need to properly listen to from start to finish, and I don't think I ever had properly without distractions as I have never personally owned a copy. While I had liked various Yes albums, and I hardly disliked Close to the Edge (I liked a lot of it, and some parts I have even loved), I do suspect that my appreciation for the album will now increase even if it is taken on the whole a very different sort of adventure to Close to the Edge.

I did see that, and it's indeed a "trip." That's the simplest way to refer to it. It's a great late night album, and I concur that it's best listened to from beginning to end.

Maybe it did help that I listened to it at night. I don't often listen to music in quite the same way I did last night. The experience reminded me the most of when I was 19, living in a lovely beach house In Queensland, lying on the floor with my eyes closed while listening to Kitaro's Oasis. It's not that they are musically that similar, but I had a similar almost transcendent experience.

I've listened to Tales on LSD before, I can confirm, it is definitely a trip LOL with or without it though, it's a very stunning album and one that has a ton of replay value. Your experience sounds lovely and makes me think of some of my own great music experiences here at the same ageSmile
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 13:10

^ I don't know if you read my later response about TFTO, but I was amazed at how much I enjoyed Tales From Topographic Oceans yesterday. It truly was a most magical trip. It's one of those albums you really need to properly listen to from start to finish, and I don't think I ever had properly without distractions as I have never personally owned a copy. While I had liked various Yes albums, and I hardly disliked Close to the Edge (I liked a lot of it, and some parts I have even loved), I do suspect that my appreciation for the album will now increase even if it is taken on the whole a very different sort of adventure to Close to the Edge.

I did see that, and it's indeed a "trip." That's the simplest way to refer to it. It's a great late night album, and I concur that it's best listened to from beginning to end.

Maybe it did help that I listened to it at night. I don't often listen to music in quite the same way I did last night. The experience reminded me the most of when I was 19, living in a lovely beach house In Queensland, lying on the floor with my eyes closed while listening to Kitaro's Oasis. It's not that they are musically that similar, but I had a similar almost transcendent experience.

His early albums are so $%&@ good! I like everything before Tenku, with Ten Kai, Oasis, In Person and Ki the best.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 12:32

Edited by Logan - May 21 2020 at 12:34
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 12:26

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 12:23

On another note...

Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

I wouldn't. I hate giving numeric ratings. ;)

Not sure how to interpret this, to be honest. The wink indicates kidding, and you have rated various albums. Despite presenting this poll, of which I'm really more interested in the impressions of the album than the simple numerical ratings themselves (i.e how you would rate the album according to your enjoyment as expressed using words), I've taken issue with numerical ratings. I did rate a lot of albums when the quick rating feature was brought in (maybe 11 or 12 years ago?) and have hardly rated anything subsequently. I have said that I would rather be able to review without having to give any numerical rating as my favourite review sources when I was very into read film reviews did not use such ratings. I was against quantifying art in that sense. I felt that the synopsis and review should speak for itself.

What I do like with numerical ratings is that it indicates an individual's tastes. Looking at an individual's ratings page can give me an indication of what they know, like, and don't like. And if I seem to share similar tastes with that individual, those ratings can be a good guide for me for what to look for. Rocktopus' ratings were a good guide for me (he didn't review) when I joined as I seemed to share very similar tastes, and I discovered plenty of albums that were great for me by looking through his ratings (he knew far more than I did). I have suggested before the option to be able to review without rating the albums, and to be able to rate albums in a separate area where the ratings explicitly refer to your enjoyment of an album.

So, instead of

5 stars: Essential: a masterpiece of progressive rock music
4 stars: Excellent addition to any prog rock music collection
3 stars: Good, but non-essential
2 stars: Collectors/fans only
1 star: Poor. Only for completionists

Which never made a lot of sense to me -- it's so subjective, is dependent on one's prog parameters, and that system makes assumptions about how others should value/consider the album -- our personal profile rating pages would be 5 stars: "I adore this" etc. It would explicitly reflect our enjoyment. And that is how I am approaching the ratings in this topic.

That Progressive Electronic album may be essential to my collection, but if you don't like Progressive Electronic that doesn't mean it should be essential to your collection. And hell, one might well not consider such progressive electronic to be prog rock even if PA includes it. I'd rather something like "A most excellent album of its ilk per my tastes" etc.

Ratings can be useful in various ways and I wouldn't want this site to be without that feature.

Edited by Logan - May 21 2020 at 12:26
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 12:12
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

like Close to the Edge considerably more than Tales From Topographic Oceans, that said, I haven't tried to spin TFTO much over the years.

You might want to consider "spinning" it again. I know of people(mostly hardcore Yes fans)who like it better than CTTE.

TFTO is pretty awesome. To some it's "self-indulgent," to others it's immersive. Wakeman on Mellotron...what's not to love?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 12:11
Hi,

Hard to decide ... but here goes.

Considering the time that it came out and I got to listen to it in a dilapidated apartment building that had poop coming through the bathtub drains ... I would say it ranked high, even if it was a bit on the sordid, ugly side of things, one could look forward to tomorrow, right?

Fast forward some 48 years, and I like listening to it, but it does not have the youngster child-like view of things and hopes that are related to a "favorite song", kind of thing ... it is a very nice album that should rank high and I would not change that ranking between yesterday and today ... but the listening to it, with 48 years in between makes this a VERY DIFFERENT thing.

Compare this to TFTO, where I can still see things in it, just like I did yesterday, and how positive it was all around, CTTE, for me, was not as strong, but had its wonderful moments, and I still like that opening and that bass going crazy ... nobody does a bass crazy right at the start of the song, right? But it sets the tone, and that is something I like, and enjoy a lot, in some music ... the moments that last forever and they always sound great.

So my ranking? Not on my "top five" but it would be in my "top ten", since my choices have a lot more music (AND different music) than the average list/folks here on PA ... but in my rankings one of the reasons why I prefer that BANDS be considered progressive, instead of albums, is because I do not want to have CTTE competing with TFTO at all ... thus I do not participate in album polls, because to me they diminish the artist's abilities and thoughts. And sometimes, it ends up intimidating artists that were hoping for nice things from their work, and instead end up having nothing but issues with it ... hello Mr. PG!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 11:28
This is my personal ranking, 

from 0 to 5,75: one stars

from 6 to 7: two stars

from 7+ to 8: three stars

from 8+ to 8,75: four stars.

from 9 to 10: five stars.

I consider 

- 8,75 four and a half stars: almost masterpiece

- 9 a small masterpiece

-9+ a real masterpiece

- 9,5 a great masterpiece

- 9,75 and 10 absolute masterpiece not only of prog but of contemporary music.

At the moment just

- Arbeit Macht Frei - Area
- In the Court Of - King Crimson
- The Silent Corner and The Empty Stage - Hammill

VdGG: The Least We Can Do, From H to He, Pawn Hearts
Wyatt: Rock Bottom.

Where are Yes in my ranking?

- Relayer 9: Small masterpiece
- Close to the Edge 8,75 almost masterpiece (four and a half stars)
- Fragile 8,5 four stars
- 90125 : 8+ or 8,5, I must decide
Tales? I dont know at the moment. The other albums are surely under 8,5. 

So I dont consider CTTE a masterpiece,but it is close (4,5 stars). Close to the Edge, the suite, is a masterpiece.

But And You and I and Syberian Khatru are not so great songs, specially the second. Overall, B side of CTTE is good but no more than good.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - May 21 2020 at 11:46
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 10:01
5 stars. It has been a 5 star album to me from when I first heard it on a tape in 1974 and has remained a 5 star album ever since.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 08:53
5 stars.
The amount of time it spends on my turntable, the way it makes me feel, the soundscapes . . .
Yeah, I dig it.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>