Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How would you rate Yes' Close to the Edge album?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How would you rate Yes' Close to the Edge album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Poll Question: Based on your appreciation, which of these ratings comes closest?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
55 [53.92%]
18 [17.65%]
18 [17.65%]
5 [4.90%]
4 [3.92%]
2 [1.96%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 08:34
5 stars. It's my favourite Yes album. But it's not my favourite album.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 08:30
I guess it depends partly on what parametres I would choose to use. Listening my way through it now...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 08:28
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

You probably have a general idea how this thread is going to go.

It's a great, creative piece of music, that I rarely ever find myself reaching for. 4-4.5 stars

A general idea, but it's the specific comments (individual impressions and approaches) that I'm most interested in. I never make a topic without anticipating response and the individual responses of particular members, but I'm quite often surprised how threads go or fail to go. Often the best discussion, I find, comes out of the "digressions", or related issues.

Edited by Logan - May 20 2020 at 08:31
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 08:18
You probably have a general idea how this thread is going to go.

It's a great, creative piece of music, that I rarely ever find myself reaching for. 4-4.5 stars
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 07:55
Close to the Edge is an album that has, methinks, been proclaimed by someone as the masterpiece of all masterpieces, perhaps not just in Prog but also when considering all forms of music. I considered writing some star descriptions, such as the quite inane "5 stars: a sublime and masterful work of art, perhaps the greatest music composed, performed and recorded ever", but this is about appreciation, and appreciation is subjective. Remember, to each his or her own tastes, and bear in mind the maxim, "Regarding taste, there is no dispute". That said, I hope this topic on taste leads to some vibrant discussion.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456