Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Who album poll ( Moon years)

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which album do you prefare the most?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
1 [7.69%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [7.69%]
8 [61.54%]
1 [7.69%]
1 [7.69%]
1 [7.69%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Who album poll ( Moon years)
    Posted: May 25 2020 at 23:58
8 albums, when I make polls i usualy look for info that sticks out. That the Who managed to make 8 albums with Kieth Moon dictates the rule for my poll making. I must first make the Moon years pool before i do the entire discog but before that happens i also must do the Moon-less years in a poll before that even.

Edited by Icarium - May 26 2020 at 00:14
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 00:13
This is a tough choice between Who's Next and Quadrophenia. Both are 5 stars. They had their best period in 71-73. I pick Who's Next.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 01:11
^ Uber tough choice. I love every track on the Who by Numbers but think there are better songs on Quadrophenia (but I don't love every track on the latter) Opted for By Numbers by a nanosmidgin

Edited by ExittheLemming - May 26 2020 at 01:12
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 02:56
Next 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 03:49
I'd vote for Quadrophenia (just ahead of Next, with WAY third and Tommy 4th), but I can't seem to voteOuch

No Leeds?? Confused

dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 05:08
Next!
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 06:46
Who's Next definitely. 
Makes me really wonder what Lifehouse would have been had Pete been able to put it all together.

We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 06:56
Who's next!
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 07:17
I went with Tommy which may not necessarily be their best album on a strictly musical level, but I think it has the most emotional depth, and I have always felt very touched by the story of the deaf, dumb and blind boy.

This is what I think in general:

My Generation: The perfect debut album that really explained what The Who were about. The title track is simply mindblowing with its hypnotic rhythm section and incredibly insane drumming by Keith Moon (especially the outro). My biggest issue with the song is the "us-and-them" discourse of the lyrics, but on the other hand, it sounds like they really mean it. There are other stand out tracks such as "The Kids Are Alright" (almost Beatles'que), "La La Lies" and "It's Not True". The biggest let down is probably the R&B covers, especially as Daltrey tries too hard to sound authentic, and it comes across as somewhat annoying. The instrumental track "The Ox" is not particularly interesting either. But overall a great album. (The song "Much Too Much" has always been a bit of a mystery to me. It is credited to Pavey/Doonican on the album sleeve - at least on my copy - but it's credited to Townshend on the record label, and practically everywhere else. I wonder if Pavey/Doonican was a pseudonym, but I have not been able to find out).

A Quick One: In the early days, The Who was clearly a singles band more than an LP band, and A Quick One is a good example of that. The album is generally rather inconsistent, and there aren't really any stand-out songs. However, it also shows the band from a more experimental side, especially with the "mini opera" that ends side 2 (is it a remarkable piece in its own right?, well, not really). And then there is the fun song "Cobwebs and Strange" at the end of side 1 which I really enjoy.

The Who Sell Out: Now this is clearly one of the more overlooked treasures of the psychedelic period. An incredibly fun album which some priceless satires on consumerism ("Heinz Baked Beans", "Odorono", "Tattoo", "Medac"), pop culture and pirate radio stations (the many Radio London jingles), but besides all the humour, there's also a lot of really great music. No doubt it's The Who's poppiest album, but as such it's very tongue-in-cheek. There are psychedelic masterpieces like "Armenia City in the Sky" and especially "I Can See For Miles" which might actually be my favourite Who song. "Rael" is clearly pointing forward too in many ways with its progressive song structure (and a riff to be re-used in Tommy).

Tommy: I don't think they ever reached the emotional depth and musical fragility better than on Tommy - which is why it remains my favourite Who album. At the same time it's a very touching story, and one you can relate to on a personal level and interpret in your own way. That itself is quite an achievement. The idea of making Tommy a pinball champion is a bit silly though - it makes little sense if he can't hear or see anything, but on the other hand it is easy to interpret it as a symbol of the inarticulate trying to express himself (we also had that dimension in "I Can't Explain" and the stuttering in "My Generation"). The spiritual side: Well, I am not religious, but I can kind of relate to it still, and it is expressed perfectly in some of the best tracks, "Sparks" and the long instrumental "Underture". Other musical highlights include the "Overture", "Amazing Journey", "The Acid Queen" (one of the best anti drug songs I know), "Pinball Wizard", "Go To the Mirror", "I'm Free" and - in particular - "Christmas": the "see me, feel me" part litrerarily brings tears to my eyes. A big shame that the later film version replaced the emotional layers with pure spectacle and over-the-top shock effects.

Edited by The Anders - May 26 2020 at 09:50
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 09:57
Part 2.

Who's Next: After Tommy their sound got heavier, and especially Roger Daltrey changes his vocal style more towards "hard rock screaming" a la Robert Plant. Sometimes it can become a bit too much for me, but I think he reached a good balance on Who's Next which is more of what you might call a traditional rock album. Personally I'm not sure if I find it one of their most interesting works, and I think it lacks some of the punky and edgy moods of their best 60's work. The music has become more straight forward here. That being said, it is actually a really good rock album, and probably their most cohesive work overall. Also, the mix of hard rock and synthesizers on songs like "Baba O'Riley" and "Won't Get Fooled Again" works surprisingly well. Favourite tracks: "Baba O'Riley", "Bargain", "Song is Over", "Going Mobile" and "Behind Blue Eyes".

Quadrophenia: The second rock opera doesn't quite have same the emotional depth and layers of meaning that Tommy has, and there is less room for interpretation. It's a more concrete story, and viewed as a "Gesamtkunstwerk" it is much less fascinating. It's qualities mostly lie on a purely musical level, despite the idea of a four-way split personality reflecting the four band members. On the other hand there is some astonishing music on it - arguably the closest they ever got to prog rock, especially on the instrumental tracks "Quadrophenia" and "The Rock" which are probably the musical highpoints for me - they sort of carry the whole story within them. Another virtuose incorporation of synthesizers.

The Who By Numbers: The least ambitious album of the pack, it sometimes feels more like a Pete Townshend solo album than a Who album, especially as it contains some rather private lyrics. Not a bad album in any way (even though "Squeeze Box" is sort of The Who's equivalent to "Obla di Obla da"), but it somehow sounds like the band doesn't really care. There are some good songs on it, but none are truely outstanding, perhaps with the exception of "Slip Kid". Another highlight is the acoustic ballad "Blue Red and Grey".

Who Are You has fatigue written all over it, and it is highly inconsistent with mediocre songs like "Had Enough" and "905". Also, Daltrey is overstating the tough-guy sound of his voice so much that it becomes artificial and annoying. Plus, the synths are becoming a little too dominating in the overall soundscape. That being said, there are still some great songs on it, especially on side 2 which is generally stronger than side 1. "Guitar and Pen" is a somewhat overlooked track, and quite a proggy one too with an interesting structure. And of course the title track is a truely great song and a perfect grande finale for the album. It makes a perfect final statement from the "real" Who with Keith Moon.

Edited by The Anders - May 26 2020 at 11:07
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 10:02
Really enjoy your blogg-like posts, very good insight, which is whar I was hoping for. Some in depth reviews and experiances.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 10:14
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Really enjoy your blogg-like posts, very good insight, which is whar I was hoping for. Some in depth reviews and experiances.

Thank you very much. I think I will write proper reviews of them sometime.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 10:22
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Thank you very much. I think I will write proper reviews of them sometime.
I have begun thinking about how the bands surround the Beatles will be remembered, how will the Who be remembered as in the future.
To me they established the rock band formate. The auintessence of the energy (as a quartet). My other view is that they also packed the punch - the were a power trio with an additional elememt -the vocals of Roger. They had the power and extravagance as The Jimi Hendrix Experiance and Cream, but also a powerfull vocalist on topp, confining the true rock mythos, Roger is (even though Jagger predates him) is the quintessential rock vocalist.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 13:48
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

The Who By Numbers: The least ambitious album of the pack, it sometimes feels more like a Pete Townshend solo album than a Who album, especially as it contains some rather private lyrics. Not a bad album in any way (even though "Squeeze Box" is sort of The Who's equivalent to "Obla di Obla da"), but it somehow sounds like the band doesn't really care. There are some good songs on it, but none are truely outstanding, perhaps with the exception of "Slip Kid". Another highlight is the acoustic ballad "Blue Red and Grey".

Who Are You has fatigue written all over it, and it is highly inconsistent with mediocre songs like "Had Enough" and "905". Also, Daltrey is overstating the tough-guy sound of his voice so much that it becomes artificial and annoying. Plus, the synths are becoming a little too dominating in the overall soundscape. That being said, there are still some great songs on it, especially on side 2 which is generally stronger than side 1. "Guitar and Pen" is a somewhat overlooked track, and quite a proggy one too with an interesting structure. And of course the title track is a truely great song and a perfect grande finale for the album. It makes a perfect final statement from the "real" Who with Keith Moon.

TBH, I find Numbers quite weak, and its two hits SB and SK quite awful (well maybe not of the size of thecatastrophic You Better You Bet, but still) The album is made from tracks from all different eras of their (but then again, that's true for many of their albums), but in this case, it just sounds like just throwing it all in.

Who Are you is a much better collection of song that seems to have a certain theme to the whole: disillusionment from the music industry and the fame that goes with it. And unlilke BN, their two hits (t/t and Sister Disco) are pure genius. So yes, Loon is on his last leg, but he still puts in a few brilliant moments, espêcially on their last masterpiece Who Are You (until the recent album's excellent Ball And Chain). You may want to relisten to the album's opening track (a perfect echo to the fantastic album closer) New Song and the great 905... Actually, G&P could be the weakest traxck on that album.

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 15:01
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Who's Next definitely. 
Makes me really wonder what Lifehouse would have been had Pete been able to put it all together.

I don't know if there were professions like communication experts (agents) back then as now. But that was the main problem for Townshend was to explain the concept in layman-terms. It became to big or to difficult to compress in oral illiteration. So he should have wished for a communication consultant.

Edited by Icarium - May 26 2020 at 15:02
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 15:20
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Who Are you is a much better collection of song that seems to have a certain theme to the whole: disillusionment from the music industry and the fame that goes with it. And unlilke BN, their two hits (t/t and Sister Disco) are pure genius. So yes, Loon is on his last leg, but he still puts in a few brilliant moments, espêcially on their last masterpiece Who Are You (until the recent album's excellent Ball And Chain). You may want to relisten to the album's opening track (a perfect echo to the fantastic album closer) New Song and the great 905... Actually, G&P could be the weakest traxck on that album.

I like "New Song" too, it has a couple of quite unexpected chord changes. I still can't warm up to "905", it sounds too monotonous to me, but I guess it was meant to. "Sister Disco" I think is saved somewhat by the middle section, especially the instrumental part; the verse and chorus I am not so fond of, especially as the synthesizer figure sounds too agressive and totally dominates the soundscape.
 Post Reply Post Reply