Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The 25 Best Albums of the 21st Century

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which of these albums have you NEVER heard?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [5.67%]
7 [2.83%]
5 [2.02%]
4 [1.62%]
8 [3.24%]
5 [2.02%]
14 [5.67%]
5 [2.02%]
11 [4.45%]
5 [2.02%]
14 [5.67%]
9 [3.64%]
12 [4.86%]
14 [5.67%]
20 [8.10%]
18 [7.29%]
5 [2.02%]
11 [4.45%]
10 [4.05%]
7 [2.83%]
11 [4.45%]
9 [3.64%]
8 [3.24%]
11 [4.45%]
10 [4.05%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The 25 Best Albums of the 21st Century
    Posted: May 26 2020 at 13:17
According to ProgArchives, as of today, May 26, 2020, these are the "best" 25 albums that progressive rock music has to offer from the 21st Century. 

Have you heard them? 

Are you open to trying the ones you haven't heard? (Why or Why not?)

I myself have had trouble giving the Prog Metal albums the attention they (apparently) deserve. I've tried the Opeth and Pain of Salvation albums but they just don't hold my attention or interest--I have trouble finishing any of their albums. Same with most Riverside albums. I find Steven Wilson's albums impressive for the first few listens but then never go back to them. 

This does not speak well to the 21st Century, does it?

At the same time, there are many albums from the past 20 years that I proudly would hold up to anything the 1960s and 1970s produced.

Edited by BrufordFreak - May 26 2020 at 13:24
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 13:33
I've done pretty well. Only haven't listen to Nil – Nil Novo Sub Sole
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 13:53
Haven't listened to the Hiromi Uehara and the Magma albums. 
From the list, my favorites are PT, Fear Of A Blank Planet, Birds and Buildings, Phideaux and Discipline.
I prefer other Opeth ones like Pale Comunion and In Cauda Venenum. 
It is remarkable that there are only one Italian and no German or Latin American among the most popular albums listed.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 14:18
Heard all but five. I like Hiromi's Spark album more than PA's choice.

Can you pick our own 25?
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 14:21
Opeth - Ghost Reveries, Nil, Daal, Riverside - Out Of Myself

I've tried Opeth a few times and they just don't work for me, I have one Riverside album but never felt the need to get more. I've never explore Nil or Daal, don't think there's any reason wht I wouldn't its just a question of time and interest getting piqued, I listen to tons of new to me music.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 14:22
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Heard all but five. I like Hiromi's Spark album more than PA's choice.

Can you pick our own 25?

There's another thread up on the same subject where I did just that.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - May 26 2020 at 14:23
Ian

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 14:50
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Opeth - Ghost Reveries, Nil, Daal, Riverside - Out Of Myself

I've tried Opeth a few times and they just don't work for me, I have one Riverside album but never felt the need to get more. I've never explore Nil or Daal, don't think there's any reason wht I wouldn't its just a question of time and interest getting piqued, I listen to tons of new to me music.

Daal are quite good (they're Italian, even if it's not evident from the name and the album title), though I am not familiar with that particular album. I've heard most of the other albums, but I have to admit to not remembering anything about some of them. The only ones I don't believe I've ever heard are the Pain of Salvation and Nil albums. Always open to listen to new stuff, but of course there are things I like more than others.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 14:53
Opeth 2x, PoS 2x, Nil, Hiromi, Tool, B&B, Kayo Dot and Out of Myself.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 15:14
All Traps on Earth (and I get the impression I need to), Nil and Hiromi Uehara.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 15:41
Haven't heard all by Riverside, Pain of Salvation, Nil, Hiromi Uehara, DAAL, Birds and Building, Anglagard, Phideaux. Have heard all the others.
Not sure whether I will check out any more of these. The thing is that there's so much music to check out and so little time... I'm not normally going by the top xxx when choosing what I check out, although I admit I listened to Wobbler and All Traps on Earth because of the raving recommendations, and I gave Steven Wilson's albums more chances than I otherwise might have given them (despite being a PT fan).
Actually the most likely to be checked out now is probably DAAL because if Raff says something positive about a band that's for me a better thing to go by than a top 25 position. Star  
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 15:49
Have not listened to Pain of Salvation, no particular reason as I am not opposed to prog metal, and Nil who I am not familiar with at all.
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 16:05
I've never heard Nil, Hiromi Uehara, Birds and Buildings. I'll have to check them out. Also haven't heard Tool but that's by choice.
PROGMATIC
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 16:23
Quite a bit really , got bored voting!

Birds and Buildings are excellent. Their keyboard player Dan Britton also has another band called Deluge Grander who are more my taste. Check out both if you get a chance.
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 16:30
Thanks! I have a couple of Deluge Grandeur albums; I'll have to check out Birds & Buildings. Appreciate the info!
PROGMATIC
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 16:44
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Actually the most likely to be checked out now is probably DAAL because if Raff says something positive about a band that's for me a better thing to go by than a top 25 position. Star  

Thank you so much, that's very sweet of youSmile! I hope you won't be disappointed. Now I need to think about some albums that would amply deserve to appear in a "Best of 21 century" list.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 16:56
All you poor souls who haven't heard Ghost Reveries, prepare for 1 hour of non-stop uncontrollable head banging!
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 19:48
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

All Traps on Earth (and I get the impression I need to), Nil and Hiromi Uehara.

It's probably one of those rare albums that scratches the itch for both of us.
Ian

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 20:58
I own every single one of those. I guess Wobbler but Magma KA is probably an equal

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 03:09
Doh! Voted for IQ then realised what I'd done...

Where's The Human Equation?🤔😲🙄😁

Plenty of these I don't have...
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 03:34
The list only proves how many great recordings there are out there. I could add another 25 to the list.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>