Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Beatles albums vs The Who albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which are yr fav?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
47 [74.60%]
16 [25.40%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Beatles albums vs The Who albums
    Posted: June 02 2020 at 21:46
This idea came from the thread, where we have talked with Yesesis about the Beatles / the Stones / the Who. I believe Beatles will win this, but not really sure. I am going to vote Who, this would be harder if Beatles had made same kind of masterpiece in the seventies as Whoīs Quadrophenia. Naturally when I put The Who Sell Out instead of Whoīs Next points will go to the Beatles, but to me The Who Sell Out is their greatest album, also I wanted another album from the sixties to the Who.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2020 at 22:59
The Who rock......the Beatles pop.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 00:09
The Beatles, with the remark that if The Who Sell Out or Tommy were replaced by Who's Next, I might have chosen otherwise.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 02:30
As a young teenager these were my 2 favourite bands. Both are massively important in my eyes.

Based on this selection of albums I go Beatles but Quadrophenia is one hell of an album. Full on prog imo.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 05:22
Beatles + 1
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 11:06
Originally posted by Mormegil Mormegil wrote:

Beatles + 1

This
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 11:40
Went with The Beatles but if you replace The Who Sells out with Who's Next that would make it a tough choice for me.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 12:12
The Beatles, but The Who come close.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 19:36
Yeah of course the Beatles. 
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 21:43
I was expecting Beatles win, but not this obviously. Some years ago here were also others than Catcher who donīt respect Beatles at all. Also I think Tommy & Quadrophenia are much more prog than any of those Beatles albums. To me personally "the Who sell out" rises in the level of "Revolver" & "Sgt" and "Tommy" & "Quadrophenia" are better albums than "Abbey Road", although really love also those all Beatles albums! I have little bit doubts every Beatles voters not listened "The Who Sell Out", maybe not even "Tommy" or "Quadrophenia" as whole, specially those who havenīt written anything about their voting.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 09:58
The Who is more my cup of tea, i like the Beatles but they don't tickle my imagination as much as the Who. The were more punky and had more power. They put punky and artsy in a very nice blend. One of the most powerfull units of rock, perhaps the most viberant and inspirational unit of musicians. Truly viberant music.

Edited by Icarium - June 04 2020 at 10:00
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 11:33
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

The Who is more my cup of tea, i like the Beatles but they don't tickle my imagination as much as the Who. The were more punky and had more power. They put punky and artsy in a very nice blend. One of the most powerfull units of rock, perhaps the most viberant and inspirational unit of musicians. Truly viberant music.
I think very much same way, although also Beatles do tickle my imagination. Anyway I think the Who is one of the rare bands that have done almost every styles of popular music and also succeeded in that!
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 13:02
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

I think very much same way, although also Beatles do tickle my imagination. Anyway I think the Who is one of the rare bands that have done almost every styles of popular music and also succeeded in that!
The Beatles tickles my imaginations indeed, but the Who tickles it more.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 22:01

I was expecting Beatles win, but not this obviously. Some years ago here were also others than Catcher who donīt respect Beatles at all. Also I think Tommy & Quadrophenia are much more prog than any of those Beatles albums. To me personally "the Who sell out" rises in the level of "Revolver" & "Sgt" and "Tommy" & "Quadrophenia" are better albums than "Abbey Road", although really love also those all Beatles albums! I have little bit doubts every Beatles voters not listened "The Who Sell Out", maybe not even "Tommy" or "Quadrophenia" as whole, specially those who havenīt written anything about their voting.

I voted Beatles but I know all those albums of The Who and I don't disagree with what you say except to say that you have The Who competing against the greatest pop album of all time in Revolver. If you had framed the question as which is more prog I would have given it to The Who, but really there's not a lot of prog in either.
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2020 at 00:39
This is easy AFAIC. Love The Who, but Townshend was rarely able to pull of an album without a few 'meh' tracks. Tommy probably isn't his fault: it had the material, but I always thought it was marred by a lifeless production. 

I'd say the real late 60's competition for The Beatles, as far as studio albums go, was The Kinks. From 68 to 70 I think I'd actually take 'Village Green', 'Arthur' and 'Lola' over 'White Album', 'Let it Be' and 'Abbey Road' - and I don't say that lightly.

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2020 at 01:58
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

I voted Beatles but I know all those albums of The Who and I don't disagree with what you say except to say that you have The Who competing against the greatest pop album of all time in Revolver. If you had framed the question as which is more prog I would have given it to The Who, but really there's not a lot of prog in either.
Well as far as I know, there are proglisteners who donīt like Beatles at all. Also, the question was "which are yr favorites", not "Which are all time best albums". I am also thinking Beatles is all the way more important band than Who, I believe Who just like many other great acts havenīt ever made their great albums without Beatles.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2020 at 06:13
The Who. Quadrophenia and Tommy make coherent concepts (ok Tommy can be  a little out there). But it does have See me Feel me and few numbers match the emotonal and compositional quality once he and his band have the idea.

Sell Out is a good comparison to Pepper. The genius of Pepper is after the holiday camp cartoon fantasy is the placement of A Day In The Life - on it's own an incredible piece. But it's bleak realism after the Carry On iness of the rest gives the album a gravity at last. But Sell Out is a radio station to a holiday camp and the Psychedelic fantasy of Armenia does the reverse of the Beatles by taking the relaism away and going full out trippy. Townshend's rare ballads demonstrate an exquisite melody not even he managed. Now go directly to The Kinks.

Revolver may be the best Beatles record. But Quadrophenia with tunes, performance, story cohesion and the outstanding Love Reign O'er Me puts it in the stratosphere - if it wasn't there already. It captures a spirit of a time but it doesn't date. Day In The Life does, but in a good, appropriate way. Bit like a movie when Oliver Reed or Michael Caine turn up as McCartney pokes his cheery nose in Lennon's dark lyric and serves to only highlight the cynical appraisal of Lennon's work.

Abbey Road is pretty good. But Mean Mr Mustard and Polythene Pam...? Bit lightweight here. Lucky it's not being pitched up against the Stones' Let It Bleed where Midnight Rambler and Gimme Shelter's devastation blows away the Abbey Road. Good stuff on side 1 though. Lennon utterly original and in fine form. McCartney should have let him re write his pop suite then there might be some fireworks instead of this safe little cartoon world.

Revolver 4.5 to Sell Out's 4.5
Pepper 4  to Tommy's 4.5
Abbey Road 3.5 to Quadrophenia 5.

iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2020 at 20:02
Revolver goes through the stratosphere as well as Quadrophenia. The rest I pretty much agree with although I wouldn't said that A Day In The Life is dated. My take:
Revolver 5 to Sell Out 4
Pepper 5 to Tommy 3.5
Abbey Road 3.5 to Quadrophenia 5
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2020 at 21:16
Both sets are great but it's hard to top those Beatles albums.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 03:54
The Who for me. I really dig two of those Beatles album but never really succumbed to Sgt Pepper’s supposedly masterly ways.
The Beatles is a band I cherish far more for what they did to ‘open up’ the world of music and what one indeed could do with it...rather than actually jumping up and down about the actual meat and potatoes of the music. I always prefered The Stones and The Who.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>