Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favourite Blue Öyster Cult Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Poll Question: Which is your favourite album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [9.80%]
5 [9.80%]
17 [33.33%]
3 [5.88%]
2 [3.92%]
2 [3.92%]
1 [1.96%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [5.88%]
6 [11.76%]
1 [1.96%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
6 [11.76%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2020 at 10:22
Originally posted by Braka1 Braka1 wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I remember an interview with BOC in 1980 when Cultosaurus was released, and the band said they hated 'Mirrors' so much they were using copies of it as frisbees.  It wasn't that bad.

no it wasn't bad..honestly... BOC simply did not make bad albums... but the production of it they did detest. it was the first album they did without Sandy producing it and they didn't like the overly polished sound of it so they went more to their classic sound with Cultosaurus.

Yes, I'll go along with that.  But it was Martin Birch, wasn't it? It's not like his production style was unexpected.

It had a very clean style, which made the proggy-metal tracks like 'The Vigil' sound very BIG, but there were a couple of tracks (e.g. 'In thee') that just sounded MOR.  Mind you, that song would have been MOR if it'd been recorded on a mono cassette deck in someone's garage.

Martin Birch produced Cultosaurus and Fire of Unknown Origin. Mirrors was produced by Tom Werman.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2020 at 13:26
and when you say.. who? You get the idea... LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2020 at 15:09
Promo photo which came with my US radio version of 'On your feet..' but I suspect its probably earlier..

mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2020 at 15:33

It wasn't this guy?

"More cowbell!"
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2020 at 15:48
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

It wasn't this guy?

"More cowbell!"

nope this one...

"f**k my life"
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2020 at 11:06
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I remember an interview with BOC in 1980 when Cultosaurus was released, and the band said they hated 'Mirrors' so much they were using copies of it as frisbees.  It wasn't that bad.

no it wasn't bad..honestly... BOC simply did not make bad albums... but the production of it they did detest. it was the first album they did without Sandy producing it and they didn't like the overly polished sound of it so they went more to their classic sound with Cultosaurus.

Yes, I'll go along with that.  But it was Martin Birch, wasn't it? It's not like his production style was unexpected.

It had a very clean style, which made the proggy-metal tracks like 'The Vigil' sound very BIG, but there were a couple of tracks (e.g. 'In thee') that just sounded MOR.  Mind you, that song would have been MOR if it'd been recorded on a mono cassette deck in someone's garage.

Martin Birch produced Cultosaurus and Fire of Unknown Origin. Mirrors was produced by Tom Werman.

Ah, I knew I should have bothered to check.

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean
Around the Sun View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Around the Sun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2020 at 14:59
I love this band! One of those bands that are corny and sophisticated at the same time. They are also underrated. My favourite is 'Secret Treaties', which is simply one of the best albums ever made. But BÖC has so many great albums. 'Spectres' has become a huge favourite too. It's more pop oriented than the early stuff, yes, but what songs! I still haven't heard 'Fire of Unknown Origin', often considered to be one of their very best albums. Have to buy it on vinyl one day.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2020 at 15:42
^^ I love the band so much, I now have three BOC threads currently running. Smile

"Spectres" is a big favourite of mine too with a couple of classic tracks: "Godzilla" and "Celestial the Queen".
It's good to see my favourite album "Imaginos" doing well in the poll with four votes so far. Thumbs Up
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2020 at 06:04
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

^^ I love the "Mirrors" album. It's Blue Oyster Cult's "Club Ninja" album which I thought was most disappointing of all.

Yeah, 'Club Ninja' was the only BOC album from their original period which I couldn't find anything to really like about.   Even the poorly received 'Revolution By Night' had several excellent songs (Shadow of California, for instance) in between the dross.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2020 at 08:07

^^ I love the "Mirrors" album. It's Blue Oyster Cult's "Club Ninja" album which I thought was most disappointing of all.

Yeah, 'Club Ninja' was the only BOC album from their original period which I couldn't find anything to really like about.   Even the poorly received 'Revolution By Night' had several excellent songs (Shadow of California, for instance) in between the dross.
"Shooting Shark" was another favourite of mine from the Revolution by Night album, but I'd be hard-pressed to name a stand-out song on the Club Ninja album. Maybe it's time to give it another listen. Smile
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2020 at 09:37

"Shooting Shark" was another favourite of mine from the Revolution by Night album, but I'd be hard-pressed to name a stand-out song on the Club Ninja album. Maybe it's time to give it another listen. Smile
With Club Ninja, there were four songs that the band did not write. Of those, I liked White Flags. Perfect Water was pretty good. And the last three songs, from When the War Comes with the Howard Stern spoken word intro to Madness to the Method.  
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2020 at 13:21

I was actually in a band who played two BOC songs in our setlist, and I used to sing lead vocals on Shooting Shark - the only time they let me do anything but backup vocals, for good reason. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2020 at 13:52

Ermm  wow man.. i need to fire one up after reading that
at times Paul.. I do wonder if you are Pedro's long lost son... perhaps you'll tell me which planet you all came here from... and don't pull a Pedro on me and tell me you don't heavily smoke you some mother nature man..

you do know that even if whole albums may not be.. the individual tracks are..

I'd love to upload every track from every Blue Oyster Cult album here, but if I did that, it'd probably take forever for my slow laptop to load up the whole page. Smile

I can start with this track though: my all-time favourite BOC song, from the Imaginos album, featuring one of the finest rock singer's that no one's ever heard of: Joey Cerisano

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - June 12 2020 at 13:53
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2020 at 15:52

I'd love to upload every track from every Blue Oyster Cult album here, but if I did that, it'd probably take forever for my slow laptop to load up the whole page. Smile

I can start with this track though: my all-time favourite BOC song, from the Imaginos album, featuring one of the finest rock singer's that no one's ever heard of: Joey Cerisano

I used to do a late night FM rock show. In 1988 I collared another presenter, raving about 'Seige and Investiture'.     He was skeptical.

About a month later he came up to me with a list of his top 100 songs of all time, and 'Seige' was #1.

BTW, sorry, but I've always hated that video.

Edited by Braka1 - June 12 2020 at 16:02

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2020 at 17:09
^^ "Frankenstein" is the only Blue Oyster Cult song that's ever featured Joey Cerisano on vocals.

I'm sorry you didn't like the video. Smile
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2020 at 18:00
Listening to Club Ninja right now.

Micky asked what the band's worst song is. It's on this album, and it's a Bob Halligan song that was recorded by Lee Aaron for her third album Call of the Wild, the year before:

"Beat 'Em Up"

It wasn't a good song when Lee Aaron recorded it, and the same applies to Blue Öyster Cult. It's a bad song with painful lyrics. For example:

Beat 'em up! Beat 'em up!
Beat 'em up! Beat 'em up!
You take a lickin,' keep on kickin' This fight we both can win! We'll stop sockin' when you stop rockin'!

As for the rest of Club Ninja, there are good songs ("White Flags," "Perfect Water," "Shadow Warrior") and there are okay songs ("Make Rock Not War," "Spy in the House of the Night," "Dancin' in the Ruins"), and one great song in "Madness to the Method."

...but "Beat 'Em Up" should have never found its way to the Oyster camp because a) it's a terrible song, and b) it sounds so unlike something they'd bother with. Confused

The Revolution By Night is a much better album.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2020 at 18:36

One of those gifted singers who should've fronted a long-running hard rock band. He toured with Transsiberian Orchestra from 2000-2003. but I've not heard of anything he's done since. He was a busy session guy for many years. Over here, his is the voice in a famous commercial: "Be...all that you can be!" (Yes, that commercial!)

Cerisano's first band with a record was Elderberry Jak. Their sole album Long Overdue was released in 1970!!

Cerisano's only other regular band was the early '80s AOR outfit Silver Condor. This is from their second and final album, Trouble at Home. Future Autograph guitarist-vocalist Steve Plunkett and Dust/HSAS/Billy Squier bassist Kenny Arronson were both part of this lineup!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2020 at 07:05
^^ Thanks for all of the additional info about Joey Cerisano. Thumbs Up
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2020 at 09:58
In May of 1972 I was at college in IU , Bloomington,  Indiana.....my brother rented a house (Sept 1971) on one of the main roads into school by the football stadium so I spent a lot of time there . We would watch the cars come in with parents and kids heading into town. I remember one sunny May afternoon when they were on the big front porch watching the traffic, smokin' weed and blasting this hard rock lp...it was different and weird but good,..the debut by BOC ; became a fan that day and went to Karma Records and bought the vinyl the next day.
I voted Secret Treaties ,but that first one is  still is one of my favorite old hard rock lp's of all time.

BTW.. a shout out to Sandy Pearlman who was essential to their origins, sound/theme direction , and early songwriting.
Smile

Edited by dr wu23 - June 14 2020 at 10:00
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2020 at 10:44
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

In May of 1972 I was at college in IU , Bloomington,  Indiana.....my brother rented a house (Sept 1971) on one of the main roads into school by the football stadium so I spent a lot of time there . We would watch the cars come in with parents and kids heading into town. I remember one sunny May afternoon when they were on the big front porch watching the traffic, smokin' weed and blasting this hard rock lp...it was different and weird but good,..the debut by BOC ; became a fan that day and went to Karma Records and bought the vinyl the next day.
I voted Secret Treaties ,but that first one is  still is one of my favorite old hard rock lp's of all time.

BTW.. a shout out to Sandy Pearlman who was essential to their origins, sound/theme direction , and early songwriting.
Smile

Yeah, whenever Sandy was MIA they became a lot more mundane. Still excellent, but generally missing that X factor.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>