Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favourite Blue Öyster Cult Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Poll Question: Which is your favourite album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [9.80%]
5 [9.80%]
17 [33.33%]
3 [5.88%]
2 [3.92%]
2 [3.92%]
1 [1.96%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [5.88%]
6 [11.76%]
1 [1.96%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
6 [11.76%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cactus Choir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2020 at 12:03
Great band, I've seen them live twice and Buck Dharma is a very talented and individualistic guitarist. All their albums are enjoyable but Spectres is my favourite. It's probably their most consistent with no weak tracks and some of their absolute best such as Nosferatu and Searchin' for Celine.
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2020 at 13:07
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Listening to Club Ninja right now.

Micky asked what the band's worst song is. It's on this album, and it's a Bob Halligan song that was recorded by Lee Aaron for her third album Call of the Wild, the year before:

"Beat 'Em Up"

It wasn't a good song when Lee Aaron recorded it, and the same applies to Blue Öyster Cult. It's a bad song with painful lyrics. For example:

Beat 'em up! Beat 'em up!
You take a lickin,' keep on kickin' This fight we both can win! We'll stop sockin' when you stop rockin'!

As for the rest of Club Ninja, there are good songs ("White Flags," "Perfect Water," "Shadow Warrior") and there are okay songs ("Make Rock Not War," "Spy in the House of the Night," "Dancin' in the Ruins"), and one great song in "Madness to the Method."

...but "Beat 'Em Up" should have never found its way to the Oyster camp because a) it's a terrible song, and b) it sounds so unlike something they'd bother with. Confused

The Revolution By Night is a much better album.

notice you didn't When the War is Over..  where ye put it.. the great, or good. I thought it was the best thing on the album

now as far as worst...  can't blame you for overlooking the single worst thing BOC ever did.  Raff and I would love to forget we ever heard it except we grew to love to use the song as a warped . sh*t... never mind..

It took light years, light years of love
Light years, light years of love
Of love, of love

Edited by micky - June 14 2020 at 13:09
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2020 at 13:39
"Beat 'Em Up" is by far the worst thing to appear on a Blue Öyster Cult  album. It just is. What were they thinking!!??
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2020 at 13:42
nah.. I beg to differ.. no one on this forum has an ear for bad music more than I do..

I say we settle this.. old school PA's way... two enter.. one gets out alive..

Edited by micky - June 14 2020 at 13:42
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2020 at 13:43
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

notice you didn't When the War is Over..  where ye put it.. the great, or good. I thought it was the best thing on the album

That's right, I didn't. The correct title is "When the War Comes."

Maybe you're thinking of Asia's "After the War." Gotcha! LOL

As I've said here and there, the song I like best on Club Ninja is "Madness to the Method."
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2020 at 13:44

nah.. I beg to differ.. no one on this forum has an ear for bad music more than I do..

I say we settle this.. old school PA's way... two enter.. one gets out alive..

Then stop listening to it! LOL
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2020 at 13:47
Embarrassed that didn't come out the way I meant it to LOL
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2020 at 06:02

Listening to Club Ninja right now.

Micky asked what the band's worst song is. It's on this album, and it's a Bob Halligan song that was recorded by Lee Aaron for her third album Call of the Wild, the year before:

"Beat 'Em Up"

It wasn't a good song when Lee Aaron recorded it, and the same applies to Blue Öyster Cult. It's a bad song with painful lyrics. For example:

You take a lickin,' keep on kickin' This fight we both can win! We'll stop sockin' when you stop rockin'!

As for the rest of Club Ninja, there are good songs ("White Flags," "Perfect Water," "Shadow Warrior") and there are okay songs ("Make Rock Not War," "Spy in the House of the Night," "Dancin' in the Ruins"), and one great song in "Madness to the Method."

...but "Beat 'Em Up" should have never found its way to the Oyster camp because a) it's a terrible song, and b) it sounds so unlike something they'd bother with. Confused

The Revolution By Night is a much better album.

now as far as worst...  can't blame you for overlooking the single worst thing BOC ever did.  Raff and I would love to forget we ever heard it except we grew to love to use the song as a warped . sh*t... never mind..

It took light years, light years of love
Light years, light years of love
Of love, of love

Yeah, that song sucks. But so did about half the album, including nearly all of side two. I only ever bothered listening to 'Take Me Away', 'Shooting shark' and 'Shadow of California'. 

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2020 at 14:29
The new album The Symbol Remains is out today. Here's the latest video, for "The Alchemist"! The boys are back!

stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote stegor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 20:21
I’ve been listening to the Symbol Remains quite a bit lately and I’m really impressed! I didn’t expect much because it’s been decades since they released a studio album I really cared for. Saw them 2 years ago and they still put on a great show though. It’s really heavy when it’s heavy, and takes a lot of twists and turns. I’d put it right in there with their 70s work. I Think I like it more than Spectres but not quite as much as Agents. I picked the debut, but the first 3 are among my favorite albums of all time, and I still revisit the rest thru Cultasaurus
Adaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Adaon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 20:50
The Symbol Remains is truly fantastic and will almost certainly end up in my BOC top five.  Agents remains my favorite for now, however.  
ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 20:51

The new album The Symbol Remains is out today. Here's the latest video, for "The Alchemist"! The boys are back!

That was awesome!  So great to hear this.  Total BOC groove, that jam put a big smile on my face.
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stegor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2020 at 10:41
I’m surprised at so many votes for Imaginos. It’s not even a proper BOC album. It was more of a side project by Sandy Pearlman with BOC members as guests. The remake of Astronomy, possibly their best song ever, which they actually perfected live on Some Enchanted Evening, is so inferior to the original I can’t stand to listen to it!
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2020 at 10:47
ST
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2020 at 11:26
Originally posted by stegor stegor wrote:

I’m surprised at so many votes for Imaginos. It’s not even a proper BOC album. It was more of a side project by Sandy Pearlman with BOC members as guests. The remake of Astronomy, possibly their best song ever, which they actually perfected live on Some Enchanted Evening, is so inferior to the original I can’t stand to listen to it!

I agree the version of Astronomy isn't up to the Some Enchanted Evening or ST versions, and I'll add that 'Blue Oyster Cult' is a somewhat questionable take on 'The Subhuman'. But they fit into the sonic palete of this album. And the originals on this album are often superb. AFAIC the great studio BOC albums are the first three, then this one.  And I disagree that it isn't a proper BOC album. I'd say it's not a proper Albert Bouchard & Sandy Pearlman album.

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean
TheUniversalMigrator View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheUniversalMigrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2020 at 12:53
Imaginos has gotta be my favorite. The album has the best flow I've heard outside of Ayreon or Mike Oldfield
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2020 at 14:46
Originally posted by TheUniversalMigrator TheUniversalMigrator wrote:

Imaginos has gotta be my favorite. The album has the best flow I've heard outside of Ayreon or Mike Oldfield

My favourite album "Imaginos" also includes my favourite Blue Oyster Cult song: "Frankenstein" - with Joe Cerisano, the best rock singer who no one's ever heard of. Smile
Adaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Adaon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2020 at 21:11
Originally posted by stegor stegor wrote:

I’m surprised at so many votes for Imaginos.

It's down at the very bottom for me.  There's some nice lead guitar on there, though.  
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 16:56
Originally posted by Adaon Adaon wrote:

The Symbol Remains is truly fantastic and will almost certainly end up in my BOC top five.  Agents remains my favorite for now, however.  

it surprised me.. though it shouldn't have .. BOC simply does not make bad albums. That said..

rather than start a new thread...

complete the sentence...

The Symbol is the best BOC album since.....

I would say Imaginos.. The Symbol is a really good album.. but IMO you don't have to go that far back to find a better one.

Edited by micky - October 28 2020 at 16:57
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 17:16
Where ya been, Mick? You were suspiciously quiet in the days leading up to (and since) the release of The Symbol Remains. (Things that make you go "Hmmm!" LOL)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>