Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Band Of Gypsys vs Live at Leeds

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which is yr favorite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
16 [57.14%]
12 [42.86%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Band Of Gypsys vs Live at Leeds
    Posted: June 06 2020 at 22:49
Here´s another one, most difficult poll (I can´t choose between these). How about you? To me these albums from 1970 are the most all time live albums! And these are the original, one album versions!!
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 04:39
Band Of Gypsys, easily (for me).
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 07:41
Band Of Gypsys is perfection.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 08:12
^ perhaps.. it is

but Live at Leeds is pretty much considered by everyone to be neck and neck with At the Fillmore East as the greatest live rock recording ever. With reason.  It goes beyond mere perfection to being transcendent to rock music. 

so let me be the first to put an end to the silliness here and cast the first vote

Edited by micky - June 07 2020 at 08:13
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 09:19
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

^ perhaps.. it is

but Live at Leeds is pretty much considered by everyone to be neck and neck with At the Fillmore East as the greatest live rock recording ever. With reason.  It goes beyond mere perfection to being transcendent to rock music. 

so let me be the first to put an end to the silliness here and cast the first vote
Clap
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 10:05
Yeah, yeah, yeah...Live at Leeds. You listen excitedly as a teenager, because it's loud with the sound off. You head bang, annoy your parents (and maybe neighbors), but then you never listen to it again. I could put on Hendrix and learn something new every time I hear a song. It's particularly sad that we never got to hear where Jimi was going, but listening to Band of Gypsys you hear unmitigated funk, damn hard funk, and he's making it all up as he's going along. Gypsys did two shows at the Fillmore that night (something unheard of in these later days when you get precisely 90 minutes of concert and then you go back to your $20 parking space). And the improvisation is evident and brilliant...

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 11:05
^ And two more shows the next day Smile
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 11:27
Both albums are great. The Who were both dynamic and casual on stage, interacting with the audience. But I have to say Hendrix and company delivered something that was transcendent (to borrow from another comment), and hit a depth few performances can ever achieve. This is music that not only rocks your face off, it funks itself right into the heart. Of course, such reactions are subjective, but there it is.

The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 11:44

^ perhaps.. it is

the greatest live rock recording ever is this:

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 13:13
Both are great, but Band of Gypsys takes my vote.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 14:44
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Both albums are great. The Who were both dynamic and casual on stage, interacting with the audience. But I have to say Hendrix and company delivered something that was transcendent (to borrow from another comment), and hit a depth few performances can ever achieve. This is music that not only rocks your face off, it funks itself right into the heart.

Couldn't have said it better.   It outdoes even Zep in NY, and though as a perfectionist Jimi wasn't entirely happy with the album and was obligated to Capitol for a release, it turned out to be maybe the finest live instrumental performance of that era.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 20:47
Two of the greatest live albums of all time. Not much prog but who's complaining. I'll take band Of Gypsys.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 01:11
BTW all 4 Fillmore East concerts were released in one boxset a few months ago, I still haven't got it but I'm definitely looking forward to that.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 01:25
Live at Leeds still acts a hell of a punch as primal rock, even after all these years!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 03:50
Love both immensely and have probably owned Live at Leeds since I was 12...but it’s the one with Machine Gun on it that takes the cake. No wonder Miles wanted to work with him after hearing that completely out-of-this-world performance.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote socrates17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2020 at 17:23
I was there when Band of Gypsys was recorded, and I still prefer Live at Leeds.  I liked The Experience better.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2020 at 19:04

Live at Leeds is pretty much considered by everyone to be neck and neck with At the Fillmore East as the greatest live rock recording ever.

Nope, not everyone! Wink
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2020 at 20:26
contrarians do exist are by definition contrary so yeah.. not everyone

However pretty much any best live album and there are some great ones out there done with a lot of thought and consdieration have those two in at least the top 4. the Apollo album and Folsom often are often included with them.

And those that don't.. are ridiculed relentlessly by the music community. for just being contrary.. or just lists done with axes to grind...

And there are lots of great live albums.. hell even lots of perfect ones..  some though were more than perfect and went beyond merely being a live album to becoming something more ...cultural and musical mileposts...and those are the ones that held highest by..  pretty much by everyone LOL And those two are included in that. Band of Gypsies simply isn't quite to that degree (usually ranked in top 20 in most lists)

hell I don't even think if the best live Hendrix album (Winterland '68 IMO)
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2020 at 01:54
^ Micky, Winterland?? really?  You mean he played Foxy Lady, Hey Joe, Purple Haze, Fire and Sunshine Of Your Love in one concert?? That happened only....about ...a million times Embarrassed 
Seriously now yeah it's a decent concert (mainly thanks to Killing Floor and Tax Free) but hardly show what Jimi was capable of, my problem is of course the set list which doesn't leave him too much space for getting wild and that's what the Band Of Gypsys were all about, it's not by accident that he kept the radio hits to a minimum there. Even songs like Stone Free which was about 3 minutes were streched to over 10 minutes and man the guy was on fire!
Those 4 Fillmore East shows contain 3 or 4 versions of the material he was interested of doing that time and every version was entirely different, aside from the playing that is one of the reasons why it's regarded as one of his best concerts. I remember Billie Cox stating that in those concerts Jimi wasn't pulling any of his guitar tricks, he just stood and played.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2020 at 11:28

contrarians do exist are by definition contrary so yeah.. not everyone

However pretty much any best live album and there are some great ones out there done with a lot of thought and consdieration have those two in at least the top 4. the Apollo album and Folsom often are often included with them.

And those that don't.. are ridiculed relentlessly by the music community. for just being contrary.. or just lists done with axes to grind...

And there are lots of great live albums.. hell even lots of perfect ones..  some though were more than perfect and went beyond merely being a live album to becoming something more ...cultural and musical mileposts...and those are the ones that held highest by..  pretty much by everyone LOL And those two are included in that. Band of Gypsies simply isn't quite to that degree (usually ranked in top 20 in most lists)

hell I don't even think if the best live Hendrix album (Winterland '68 IMO)

A contrarian is merely one who rejects popular opinion. If I prefer anything Black Sabbath recorded to anything Led Zeppelin recorded, to a LZ fan, I may be a contrarian.

Hell, we're all contrarians. That's why we're here, and not on a classic rock forum discussing Bad Company and Sweet.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>