Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recent discovery of classic prog albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2020 at 06:12
^I had Guitar Noir a long time ago. I remember it being good but I didn't know it was a five star album. To be honest I think maybe more like three stars.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2020 at 05:25
There's one Genesis-related album I'd *REALLY* like to buy and that's Steve Hackett's 5-star album, "Guitar Noir" (1993). His latest album "At the Edge of Light" (2019) is one of his best too. Thumbs Up
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2020 at 04:19
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

I still haven't bought any Genesis album, but I have (and like) Hackett, Rutherford, Brand X, Anthony Phillips and Peter Gabriel. 
I must have something wrong because the Gabriel's album I like the most is Ovo.
There's nothing wrong with you, Luca. Ovo didn't thrill me right off the bat but now I think it's wonderful. So different for Gabriel.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2020 at 03:14
I had done some PFM test listening earlier but thought they're not for me. Banco, Le Orme, Area hit me right from the beginning (I've got to say that even my "beginning" with RPI was only 2014 or so) but not PFM. I only got their major albums in 2019 and they are much better than my first impression was.

Edited by Lewian - June 16 2020 at 03:15
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2020 at 02:59
I still haven't bought any Genesis album, but I have (and like) Hackett, Rutherford, Brand X, Anthony Phillips and Peter Gabriel. 
I must have something wrong because the Gabriel's album I like the most is Ovo.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2020 at 21:38
I didn't get into Dream Theater until early this year. I had planned on listening at some point a few years ago, and kept putting it off. It wasn't till I was going to play the entirety of Metropolis Pt. 2 for a backyard concert (my music partner's idea) that I listened to them. It was going to be one of our last hurrahs in college this last Spring, but COVID led to the cancellation of all those ideas (curses). Just graduated.

I also even more recently listened to Peter Gabriel's first four albums. Good stuff.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2020 at 19:47
I would say early Pink Floyd is absent from my collection, just ordered Saucerful of Secrets. I figured I might as well try to get into it. I have digital versions of the early ones but for me unless I have it on vinyl....its not part of my collection.

I think for most of us there are many artists we have not discovered or gotten into, I could probably list 20 artists.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2020 at 19:38
Got into prog around 2 years ago when I was 17. It was Kansas, Styx and Genesis that really got me into it
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2020 at 19:17
I guess for me it would be Jethro Tull 1973 - 1977. For some reason I never gave them much of a listen too after TAAB. I just played the early albums to death. As I've been replacing the LP's I gave up when I got into the CD racket back in the 80's, I've had the opportunity to get Passion, Minstrel, Too Old, Songs and have been discovering a whole new dimension to them.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2020 at 17:27
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

There must be some younger folks in here getting into prog for the first time and discovering classics or do most younger folks listen to Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson first? Tongue

It was Rush first for me! I only got my first Steven Wilson album last summer, and I still don't own any PT, though I've heard a little bit and it seems good.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2020 at 17:26
I'm 21, so I'm getting into new and old things all the time.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2020 at 16:40
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I didn't like the first three ambient albums by Tangerine Dream, but I loved all of their classic sequencer albums on the Virgin label. Heart

I wouldn't call (their first album) Electronic Meditation "ambient"...not by a long shot! LOL
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2020 at 15:54
There must be some younger folks in here getting into prog for the first time and discovering classics or do most younger folks listen to Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson first? Tongue
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2020 at 15:20
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I didn't like the first three ambient albums by Tangerine Dream, but I loved all of their classic sequencer albums on the Virgin label. Heart

Thumbs Up
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2020 at 15:20
Tull - Stormwatch. Pleasantly surprised how good that is for a 1979 release.

That may be the last classic prog album by the 'Big Six' I've acquired.

I now finally think I have everything by ELP, Yes, Genesis, Floyd , Tull and Crimson that is any good. I also have all the studio albums by Gentle Giant and everything by VDGG up to Still Life.

Camel - probably a band I'm lacking a bit. I don't own Rain Dances and that gets checked quite a bit on the forum as one of their best so maybe that will be the last one?!

Bit lacking on PFM but then they only struck gold very early and are well covered by compilations I own
I have all of Le Orme seventies albums but lacking a bit on Banco so that might one I can target as well.

electronic - I have a ton of Vangelis and Tangerine Dream but little or no Klaus Shulze 

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2020 at 14:26
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2020 at 14:22
For my part, some of the classic Italian prog albums: the debut album by Banco del Mutuo Soccorso, Felona e Sorona by Le Orme and Per un Amico by PFM.

I really like the first two, but I am a bit unsure of the last one...
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2020 at 14:13
Better late than never! Stratosfear is one of my top albums, and it's one of TD's top three.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2020 at 13:58
Probably the most recent big name that finally hit me was Tangerine Dream about 4 years ago. Zeit through Stratosfear.

Edited by Tapfret - June 15 2020 at 14:01
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2020 at 13:27
Not considered prog by many, maybe proto prog, but I recently got into Cream. Never bought their albums, since my friends had them and we listened to them a lot, but I got some of their remasters and I have to say, I'm really enjoying listening to them again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>