Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recent discovery of classic prog albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recent discovery of classic prog albums
    Posted: June 15 2020 at 08:50
OK, I know I'll probably get some light hearted abuse for this one. Some may even want to revoke my prog membership,  but I just recently purchased ......Wait for it ....FOXTROT! I know everyone has had this album for 40 years, I don't know what took me so long to get it but , as most of you already know , it really is a great album. I'm liking it a lot more than I thought I would.  Full disclosure , I have heard most of it before , I just didn't own it. 

Anyway my question yo you is what well know prog albums ( if any) have you discovered recently? 

Edited by Argo2112 - June 15 2020 at 08:57
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2020 at 09:04
Soft Machine Third I only heard for the first time in the last couple of years. Obscured by Clouds I only heard for the first time a week ago. Not sure if they qualify as classic prog albums in the Foxtrot sense, but I'm sure they do to some prog fans.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2020 at 09:39
I didn't buy my first Genesis album until well into the 21st century and I now have the first nine Genesis albums, including the Live 1973 album.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2020 at 09:42
I gave up trying to discover well known prog albums decades ago. Barely known prog albums has been more like it. LOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2020 at 09:57
I got Peter Gabriel Melt only recently.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2020 at 10:47
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

I got Peter Gabriel Melt only recently.

I've never listened to any of Peter Gabriel's solo albums, so maybe it's time for me to give them a listen on YouTube. Smile
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2020 at 11:21
There's a lot I need to rebuy and a lot I still haven't heard. I still haven't heard all albums by the Moody Blues or ELP. I also haven't heard all albums by Camel, VDGG, Eloy, Focus, Nektar, Renaissance, Marillion and Porcupine Tree just to name some of them. I have heard all studio albums by Gentle Giant but not all live stuff. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 15 2020 at 11:24
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2020 at 12:38
I didn't even discover progressive rock as a serious venture for myself until like, 2008.

It doesn't matter how you find it; it's all timeless! Foxtrot is exemplary progressive rock. It finds you when you're ready.

TAAB finally "hit me" last year, as well.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnobvious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2020 at 12:48
Just bought Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire. Laser's Edge had it for $5. Got shipped today so I may have to come back and let you know what I have been missing. Emerald Beyond is the only other one of theirs I have.
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
Homotopy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homotopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2020 at 12:55
Just three days ago I had a pleasure to discover Focus, who seem to be humongously well-known. Shame on me. (lastfm claims I've already listened to them years ago but I don't remember that and the album was not good nor classic)
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2020 at 13:27
Not considered prog by many, maybe proto prog, but I recently got into Cream. Never bought their albums, since my friends had them and we listened to them a lot, but I got some of their remasters and I have to say, I'm really enjoying listening to them again.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2020 at 13:58
Probably the most recent big name that finally hit me was Tangerine Dream about 4 years ago. Zeit through Stratosfear.

Edited by Tapfret - June 15 2020 at 14:01
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2020 at 14:13
Better late than never! Stratosfear is one of my top albums, and it's one of TD's top three.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2020 at 14:22
For my part, some of the classic Italian prog albums: the debut album by Banco del Mutuo Soccorso, Felona e Sorona by Le Orme and Per un Amico by PFM.

I really like the first two, but I am a bit unsure of the last one...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2020 at 14:26
I didn't like the first three ambient albums by Tangerine Dream, but I loved all of their classic sequencer albums on the Virgin label. Heart
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2020 at 15:20
Tull - Stormwatch. Pleasantly surprised how good that is for a 1979 release.

That may be the last classic prog album by the 'Big Six' I've acquired.

I now finally think I have everything by ELP, Yes, Genesis, Floyd , Tull and Crimson that is any good. I also have all the studio albums by Gentle Giant and everything by VDGG up to Still Life.

Camel - probably a band I'm lacking a bit. I don't own Rain Dances and that gets checked quite a bit on the forum as one of their best so maybe that will be the last one?!

Bit lacking on PFM but then they only struck gold very early and are well covered by compilations I own
I have all of Le Orme seventies albums but lacking a bit on Banco so that might one I can target as well.

electronic - I have a ton of Vangelis and Tangerine Dream but little or no Klaus Shulze 

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2020 at 15:20
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I didn't like the first three ambient albums by Tangerine Dream, but I loved all of their classic sequencer albums on the Virgin label. Heart

Thumbs Up
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2020 at 15:54
There must be some younger folks in here getting into prog for the first time and discovering classics or do most younger folks listen to Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson first? Tongue
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2020 at 16:40
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I wouldn't call (their first album) Electronic Meditation "ambient"...not by a long shot! LOL
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2020 at 17:26
I'm 21, so I'm getting into new and old things all the time.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>