Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TV shows you most recently finished watching

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 51>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2020 at 19:14
I just finished watching the mini-series "The Queens Gambit" on Netflix.  It was surprisingly good.  Worth watching.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2020 at 02:11
^ I've only watched the first episode so far. I wanted to check the Chess was 'correct' and pleased to report that it was! Also the appearance of an actual chess Grandmaster (Hikaru Nakamura) was a nice touch . I think they may be trying to draw some comparison with Bobby Fisher but I need to watch more to see if that's the case. BTW check out Pawn Sacrifice on Amazon Prime TV. A very good dramatic retelling of the 1972 Spassky v Fisher world championship match and the events leading up to it.

Edited by richardh - November 01 2020 at 02:12
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2020 at 02:15
Just finished The Witcher. I feel a bit short changed with only 8 episodes. Entertaining if you don't take it too seriously. No idea what it was all about though.
Spaciousmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2020 at 05:20
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^ I've only watched the first episode so far. I wanted to check the Chess was 'correct' and pleased to report that it was! Also the appearance of an actual chess Grandmaster (Hikaru Nakamura) was a nice touch . I think they may be trying to draw some comparison with Bobby Fisher but I need to watch more to see if that's the case. BTW check out Pawn Sacrifice on Amazon Prime TV. A very good dramatic retelling of the 1972 Spassky v Fisher world championship match and the events leading up to it.

Yes, besides the story being good which since you are on episode 1, I won't give away.  I also enjoyed proper moves being played throughout and proper openings being mentioned.

Yes I saw Pawn Sacrifice, it is very good too.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2020 at 07:07

Just finished The Witcher. I feel a bit short changed with only 8 episodes. Entertaining if you don't take it too seriously. No idea what it was all about though.

They are supposed to be making a season 2 of The Witcher.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2020 at 08:25
Didn't want to start a whole thread on this so I though I'd just ask here...

Is anyone here watching Star Trek Discovery?
We watched the first three episodes of season 3 last night and both my wife and I found it to be overly sentimental tripe. Gone was the intrigue, mystery, tension, excitement, just about everything we loved about the first two seasons. I have a deep fear this season may be a death knell if they don't do some quick self correction.
Thoughts?
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2020 at 08:46

It's a lot of information to process if you're not familiar with the lore. I played the video games before but I watched the first few episodes with family and I was wondering if they were understanding any of it.

The other day I finished a really good Finnish spy show, Nyrkki (Shadow Lines). It's set in the 50's where Finland had to deal with great political tension, as the Americans and Soviets were trying to manipulate the country's presidential elections and the secret police had to sabotage their plans. I liked that there isn't a good side, just characters that are more despicable than others in every faction.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2020 at 08:57
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

We watched the first three episodes of season 3 last night and both my wife and I found it to be overly sentimental tripe. Gone was the intrigue, mystery, tension, excitement, just about everything we loved about the first two seasons. I have a deep fear this season may be a death knell if they don't do some quick self correction.
Thoughts?

I watched the first two seasons but have not gotten around to season 3.  Thanks for the warning :)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2020 at 01:05
Originally posted by Spaciousmind Spaciousmind wrote:

Yes, besides the story being good which since you are on episode 1, I won't give away.  I also enjoyed proper moves being played throughout and proper openings being mentioned.

Yes I saw Pawn Sacrifice, it is very good too.

Glad you like that as well.

BTW I was getting confused about Nakumara appearing in Queen Gambit , it was actually an episode of Billions!LOL
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2020 at 01:14

Thoughts?

I'm enjoying it quite a bit. It certainly has a more playful and lighter touch and I do like the casting of British actor David Ajala and I think much of the first 3 episodes is just allowing you to get re-acquainted with the characters as it's been so long since Season 2 aired. I had even thought it was finished to be honest so I'm pleased that there are any new episodes . I would give it a chance before giving up on it just yet.

Edited by richardh - November 04 2020 at 01:16
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2020 at 03:46
^ I thought episode 4 was fantastic , hopefully that's allied fears of it's decline. Very much in the classic Star Trek tradition I felt.

Just finished The Third Day. Enjoyed it a lot , pleased to see the characters making reasonable choices and doing what they had to do. Maybe a slight criticism may be the 'Hollywood ending' but that didn't spoil it for me.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2020 at 06:19
^Still a little touchy feely for the Mrs and me.
I guess it's nice that they're drawing more on the canon (Trill's) but again...a little a sappy. The human/symbiant could have been a better story if it had been an experiment (a la Josef Mengele) where some rogue symbiant was trying to cut the trills out of the picture for some dark reason. It would also have given a fodder of future stories as the Adira sybiant comes to terms with that violation in concert with past lives.

But that's just me, I'm not a writer or producer of the show.

Edited by JD - November 09 2020 at 06:20
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 04:47
I guess you prefer to have your sci-fi a bit darker in tone. It's certainly going out of it's way at the moment to reinforce the idea of Discovery being a family and sticking together through thick and thin. I wonder if it's taking it's cue a little from The Orville. Would be a tad ironic if so!
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 05:02
Darker or more realistic?
I'm one of those people that thought DS9 up the ante and brought ST into the realms of great Sci-Fi.
I appreciate Rodenberry's desire to paint a more idealistic view of the future but ST-TOS was far better than Next-Gen as far as the human/alien conflict stories go. When BSG (2004) came out I was ecstatic. I tried watching The Orville but couldn't get past the first few episode.
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 07:36
Recently finished:

The Third Day - loved it 9/10
Helstrom - OK, but dragged a bit in places. 7/10
The Lost Room from 2006. Great story and ending. A bit dated now though 8/10
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2020 at 02:10

I'm one of those people that thought DS9 up the ante and brought ST into the realms of great Sci-Fi.
I appreciate Rodenberry's desire to paint a more idealistic view of the future but ST-TOS was far better than Next-Gen as far as the human/alien conflict stories go. When BSG (2004) came out I was ecstatic. I tried watching The Orville but couldn't get past the first few episode.

This is where I may take a issue a bit . Writers can push the story in any direction and there is nothing more 'realistic' about one storyline compared to another. I take this view with any genre not just sci-fi by the way. That said I can't stand Star Wars for the very reason that is complete and utter nonsense. It's not sci-fi but rather space fantasy which is a total different genre.  I would agree there has to be some sense of reality but that doesn't mean always that bad things must always happen. 

I love The Orville . Its been described as a spoof but Seth McFarlane clearly loves his sci-fi and the writing is tight.

Battlestar Galactica ( I presume what BSG stands for) . Never watched it as it always looked a bit Star Wars like.Smile

Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2020 at 02:47
Series 1 of 'His Dark Materials' on BBC iPlayer. Just brilliant!!

Series 2 started last Sunday on BBC TV.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2020 at 05:20

I appreciate Rodenberry's desire to paint a more idealistic view of the future but ST-TOS was far better than Next-Gen as far as the human/alien conflict stories go. When BSG (2004) came out I was ecstatic. I tried watching The Orvillebut couldn't get past the first few episode.
This is where I may take a issue a bit . Writers can push the story in any direction and there is nothing more 'realistic' about one storyline compared to another. I take this view with any genre not just sci-fi by the way. That said I can't stand Star Wars for the very reason that is complete and utter nonsense. It's not sci-fi but rather space fantasy which is a total different genre.  I would agree there has to be some sense of reality but that doesn't mean always that bad things must always happen. 

I love The Orville . Its been described as a spoof but Seth McFarlane clearly loves his sci-fi and the writing is tight.

Battlestar Galactica ( I presume what BSG stands for) . Never watched it as it always looked a bit Star Wars like.Smile

Not a Star Wars fan either really. I mean the original trilogy was good (back in the day). But since then they just keep rehashing the exact same story...YAWN. As for Seth's show I suspect it's sort of like Will Farrell, you either love his stuff or hate it. I'm in the latter.

Yes, BSG is Battlestar Galactica. But it's much more of a political drama with religious subtext (and to honest, text) than Star Wars could ever hope to be. Give it a shot.

Edited by JD - November 11 2020 at 10:16
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2020 at 11:10

I appreciate Rodenberry's desire to paint a more idealistic view of the future but ST-TOS was far better than Next-Gen as far as the human/alien conflict stories go. When BSG (2004) came out I was ecstatic. I tried watching The Orvillebut couldn't get past the first few episode.

Not a Star Wars fan either really. I mean the original trilogy was good (back in the day). But since then they just keep rehashing the exact same story...YAWN. As for Seth's show I suspect it's sort of like Will Farrell, you either love his stuff or hate it. I'm in the latter.

Yes, BSG is Battlestar Galactica. But it's much more of a political drama with religious subtext (and to honest, text) than Star Wars could ever hope to be. Give it a shot.

Sounds interesting Thumbs Up

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2020 at 11:19
I'm currently watching the Russian TV series:- "Soviet Storm: World War II in the East."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 51>