Poll Question: Which one?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
35 [47.95%]
38 [52.05%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2020 at 08:09
And then there were 3 ----as Banks said with Hackett contributions on it would have been a real classic---(Burning Rope)---I love opening and closing songs (think opening jam on Silent wings is awesome) and Onward on Tormato but band was falling apart and running out of ideas. On Three-- Genesis was trying to prove something.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2020 at 09:54
Not heard either this century, but from memory Lady Lies edges it for the triumvirate.
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2020 at 10:47
Definitely ...And Then There Were Three.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2020 at 13:12
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Just spun ATTWT - Collins’ drum sound is great on this LP.
White is no slouch on Tormato either........

"Down and Out" is awesome.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2020 at 13:25
Both albums have different flaws but in the end, the main meat of the music is really nice.

ATTW3 is one of the very few Genesis albums (the others being "Trick" and "Wuthering") which I can listen to from beginning to end without cringing at the "theatrical vocals" (cuz Phil Collins' voice IMO was far superior to Peter Gabriel's when it comes to Genesis). The only problem I have with ATTW3 is Follow You, Follow Me. I just don't like that song.

Now, Tormato. The songs are alright but they sometimes do feel cheesy. However, Madrigal I can listen to on repeat. It's just crazy how good it is.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2020 at 14:07
ATTWT is actually one of their most solid albums imo from start to finish so I can understand it beating Tormato especially since that's considered one of their weakest(if not THE weakest)albums up to that point.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2020 at 14:56
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

ATTWT is actually one of their most solid albums imo from start to finish so I can understand it beating Tormato especially since that's considered one of their weakest(if not THE weakest)albums up to that point.

I've never understood why Tormato is considered "weak." No, it's not quite as good as G4T1 or Drama, but it's good.

"On the Silent Wings of Freedom," "Future Times" and "Arriving UFO" are great Yessongs. The "Whale" song is the only one I skip because I've heard it so many times.

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2020 at 15:04
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I've never understood why Tormato is considered "weak." No, it's not quite as good as G4T1 or Drama, but it's good.

"On the Silent Wings of Freedom," "Future Times" and "Arriving UFO" are great Yessongs. The "Whale" song is the only one I skip because I've heard it so many times.

I think what weighs it down for most people is Wakeman's keyboards. That's one of the complaints I hear the most often. Also, "circus of heaven" is seen by many as being particularly weak. I guess to a lesser extent "release, release" and "madrigal" also.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2020 at 16:21

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I think what weighs it down for most people is Wakeman's keyboards. That's one of the complaints I hear the most often. Also, "circus of heaven" is seen by many as being particularly weak. I guess to a lesser extent "release, release" and "madrigal" also.

Same, but I don't agree. The way people complain, you'd think he was playing a Mellotron that uses See 'n Say sounds. LOL
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2020 at 00:07
Tormato is the nadir in Yes' 70's catalog, I rank it even below Tales. ATTWT also shows obvious symptoms of decline, but it has four or five really good songs.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2020 at 00:50
ATTWT. Love that album.

I don't bother with Tormato. It's so weak, sandwiched between the great GFTO and Drama, it's a poor sandwich filling. To get all Spinal Tap about it, it's a sh*t sandwich.

ATTWT is an excellent transitional album, with indredible highs, and yes, some lows, but once again Genesis survive the loss of a key member, with relative ease. Down & Out, Undertow and Deep in the Motherlode are among my favourite Genesis songs.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2020 at 01:25
Both of these releases are clearly weaker than all the previous works...My wife always insists we play follow me follow you on date night and it was our first dance track after our wedding breakfast and that is it in a nutshell...Genesis trying to do Abba...I can't figure out what Yes were trying to do with Tormato on account it is so bad. Drama is rated higher because it is compared to its predecessor
I don't see the attraction because the singing is crap and its only marginallt better than Tormato...
cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2020 at 11:35
Genesis a KABILLION times better.
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2020 at 16:09
ATTW3 is a very good album.  Tormato is a mess

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2020 at 16:14
Originally posted by tdfloyd tdfloyd wrote:

ATTW3 is a very good album.  Tormato is a mess

Thumbs UpApprove
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2020 at 21:46
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Tormato is a bit of mess although it does have a great opener and a great closer. Alan White is generally brilliant on that album.(3 stars)
ATTWT is one of my favourite Genesis albums . Only Follow You Follow Me drags it down slightly but only by a half point. Its not that bad! The rest of the album is rock solid. Replace Follow You Follow Me with The Day The Light Went Out and it would be perfect. (4.5 stars)

You make a good point about Alan White on this album. It's everybody else who let's him down. Both albums are very weak. Their bad outweighs their good. I can't vote for either. A good poll would be Time and a Word up against Tormato. I wonder which one would win between those two?
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2020 at 22:21
And then there were 3 has some awsome prog songs. In some parts this album sounds like Genesis doing ELP (or at least I like thinking that in my head because of the keyboard led trio format).
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2020 at 01:29
I have at least 2000 cd's that I prefer to ATTWT and probably another 500 not heard as yet that are superior. Plus I hope that all the new releases I buy will be better...thus , it's a completionist cd, no more, no less...😎

Edited by M27Barney - June 23 2020 at 01:29
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2020 at 02:46
I’ll never understand why Tormato gets so much stick ?? Is it Wakeman’s shrill Polymoog ?? Is it the Birotron ?? Sure, the songwriting may not be as ambitious as previous material but it’s more good than bad.
ATTWT is still awesome Genesis (in a more ‘compact’ way).
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2020 at 03:56
And Then There Were Three. My favorite of the post Gabriel albums.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>