Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive poll team

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 52>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2020 at 10:35
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Make sure everyone wants a surprise theme.

Well, I won't. I think it puts less presusre on people if nobody who proposes a theme thinks that everybody should want it.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2020 at 10:40
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Make sure everyone wants a surprise theme.

Well, I won't. I think it puts less presusre on people if nobody who proposes a theme thinks that everybody should want it.

in theory, yes, I agree, practically, most people don't like surprises. 

well, everyone who has read this thread knows you are preparing a surprise poll. LOL
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2020 at 10:46
Cristi, I completely agree with the discussion you had with Pysch Paul about staying on topic within a thread.  I must admit that the guilty pleasure poll got a little off topic way too many times and it was a bit confusing for many wondering what they were supposed to vote on.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2020 at 11:18
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I think we talk a bit too much about future topics. I don't feel good about Logan saying he wanted to do soundtracks and the exchange because micky suddenly said soundtracks, too. I also think if somebody has a theme others shouldn't comment on that too much and make the one with the idea feel that they should do it a certain way. I'd prefer to have spots reserved for people, and then they can do whatever they want. It's Logan's turn and if he wants to do soundtracks he should, and if somebody else has the same idea later, tough luck.

I'm not going to tell you about my theme(s) in advance because I like surprises, and particularly I don't want these themes to be part of a general discussion and somebody wants to add this or that to the idea ... again, if somebody else decides to to the same thing before me, I've got to come up with a new idea, so be it.  

Sorry about that, Lewian. When I first mentioned wanting to do a soundtrack one (which was earlier than this topic) I had thought perhaps I should run that by Lorenzo. Same with mentioning doing a melancholic one -- that Tears For Ears idea. I might do a shocking one at some time, and that would work better as a surprise. Although I guess I just sort of spoiled the surprise, damn! I hadn't been quite sure how this series was being organised (who goes when). I don;t know how sudden it was, Micky was responding to me mentioning that I had planned to do soundtracks but might do a melancholic one instead. I thought I was up next in line and had said before that I was planning to do soundtracks. I guess I shouldn't have mentioned my plan at all, had thought Lorenzo (who has started and organised this) might want to know especially. Yes, I'm not the only one to mention the idea in advance of doing the poll, but perhaps Lorenzo might like to make it an expectation that we keep it secret. I'm fine following whatever he wants and will continue to make my own suggestions along the way (I do like the idea of each person having quite a high level of autonomy too when it comes to making and planning their own polls).

Nothing wrong with having multiple ones on the same thing. In the case of soundtracks there are so many that could be done. I do like surprises, and might like to do one down the road that is the aural equivalent of a, oh wait, I won't say. I have had quite a few ideas already for ones. I don't mind planning my choice in advance. It is more important and helpful to me that there is some planning when it comes to who starts what poll and when. I don't mind not sharing my ideas for polls in advance if it bothers anyone. I can see problems with reserving ideas, especially if they are many, and then one is "You shouldn't do that because I mentioned it first." I like that I had a discussion with Micky about it since he had a good plan that interests me and it will affect how I go about my poll. This should be fun, the brainstorming ideas can be part of the fun for me. The most enjoyable aspect of this series is the discussion and social element to me, which is what I like about forums generally. I certainly enjoy many surprises, and I enjoy twists. Always knowing what to expect would take much of the interest out of life. I wouldn't want my doctor to tell me when he expects me to die, that would be no fun. I'd rather be surprised by a lovely assortment of ladies and unexpectedly die from too much pleasure. Yes, my doctor may have warned me that too much sex is not a good thing for my health, but I wouldn't want that to stop me.

Anyway, I guess I will be starting the next poll on Monday, maybe it won't be quite what you expect and maybe it will. I commonly do like a sense of mystery myself.

EDIT: Thinking about it, I think I'll excuse myself from making a poll. As I said, Micky can do that if he wants, it's just that I'd already been planning it out and had started writing it up. He plans to do a related one. I'd like to go about things a bit differently, but.... Please someone else take the next one, I don't think I will do one after all. I didn't know if I was up next, Lorenzo had not confirmed it, I had just thought from this topic that I was next in line and had cleared my idea with Lorenzo (wrong to think I should have, I expect).

Edited by Logan - July 04 2020 at 11:55
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2020 at 11:53
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

EDIT: Thinking about it, I think I'll excuse myself from making a poll. As I said, Micky can do that if he wants, it's just that I'd already been planning it out and had started writing it up. He plans to do a related one. I'd like to go about things a bit differently, but if that makes anyone uncomfortable, not feel good, then I would rather not participate. Please someone else take the next one, I don't think I will do one after all. I didn't know if I was up next, Lorenzo had not confirmed it, I had just thought from this topic that I was next in line.

Just for the record, I liked your ideas as you were discussing them, I hope you'll reconsider and do either one or both and in the manner you like, if you change your mind.  
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2020 at 11:54
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Cristi, I completely agree with the discussion you had with Pysch Paul about staying on topic within a thread.  I must admit that the guilty pleasure poll got a little off topic way too many times and it was a bit confusing for many wondering what they were supposed to vote on.
  I do agree that it did get difficult to sort it all out, that's why finally, I just went person by person, with everything they submitted and my stream of consciousness thoughts as I listened to each offering.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2020 at 12:04
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

EDIT: Thinking about it, I think I'll excuse myself from making a poll. As I said, Micky can do that if he wants, it's just that I'd already been planning it out and had started writing it up. He plans to do a related one. I'd like to go about things a bit differently, but if that makes anyone uncomfortable, not feel good, then I would rather not participate. Please someone else take the next one, I don't think I will do one after all. I didn't know if I was up next, Lorenzo had not confirmed it, I had just thought from this topic that I was next in line.

Just for the record, I liked your ideas as you were discussing them, I hope you'll reconsider and do either one or both and in the manner you like, if you change your mind.  

I'm definitely the kind of guy who likes to brainstorm ideas in conversation -- it infuriates my wife, who usually says, "Stop talking about it and just do it!" She's the pragmatic one of few words that wears the pants in the family, and I'm the more ideas driven one (ideas that rarely lead to anything). Her brother, who sadly is in hospital and has been told that he might have to have his foot amputated, called me a trophy husband (she's only three years older). My wife would disagree and call me the booby prize.

Edited by Logan - July 04 2020 at 12:09
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2020 at 12:09
I apologize to everyone but this last poll, which is also a wonderful example of discussion and mutual listening, has taken a long time, and recently for family reasons I have very little time. So I have not read all the messages well, also because not being my English excellent, it takes me more time than you to read everything, if I want to understand all the words well.

Having said that, I had remained that after mathman Cristi would open a poll on catchy songs, and then Greg (Logan) would open the next one. 

Perhaps, however, sorry for the repetition, I missed something and Cristi no longer wants to open the poll on catchy songs, and so go ahead with Greg. 

I would like to clarify for all the rules that I think is good to keep. 

Who opens the poll :

1) decides whether to give it a theme or not (the theme is an optional). I like the idea of a theme but sometimes we can go on without it.

2) decides whether to immediately put the songs on the list to vote or whether to do as we did with this last poll, which was very enriching for everyone , although clearly it took a long time for everyone 

3) if he decides to give a theme, ho should choose a vast gtheme, not too specific, so that everyone can participate. For example, if we take the soundtracks of American TV series as a theme, many of us Europeans would have difficulty participating. If, on the other hand, you choose a song or soundtrack of any film as a theme, I believe that the theme is quite vast and accessible to everyone.

Hope that the interactive polls will continue with this collaboration and friendship.

Thanks to all.

"Happiness is real only when shared"
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2020 at 12:12
Guys, sorry to be blunt, but I don't like the tone this discussion is taking. No one is trying to steal ideas from anyone else, or to jump the queue. Personally, I asked to be put in said queue for a future edition - future meaning next week, or three years from now. There is enough strife on the Internet without us starting to bicker for something that should be pleasurable, not a source of stress. 

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2020 at 12:13
^ I'm not bickering, in case it comes across that way to anyone, but my tone often could be improved. I am interested in everyone's ideas and don't think any less of anyone if I have a difference of approach or opinion. Well, I guess it does depend on the opinion, I don't respect all approaches or opinions -- I'm not that tolerant when it comes to intolerance for instance unless it's the kind of people and opinions which I feel I should not tolerate.... ;) I must admit I was a little surprised to see my name brought up here concerning my very friendly and amicable conversation with Micky in another thread, and it did make me feel a little uncomfortable, but I don't read malice or insensitivity in it. I don't want to bring the tone down of this most excellent series or make others feel uncomfortable, so if I went about things in a way perceived to be a less than positive way I thought maybe I should bow out. Negativity kills the fun, while camaraderie raises the spirits.

^ and ^^^ Well, okay, then I won't shirk such a task. I might not have as much time to be involved in the topic discussion as I would like.

Next poll on Monday, and Cristi did his Catchy songs poll (I may have misunderstood). EDIT: I see I did misunderstand.

Edited by Logan - July 04 2020 at 12:29
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2020 at 12:20
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

I apologize to everyone but this last poll, which is also a wonderful example of discussion and mutual listening, has taken a long time, and recently for family reasons I have very little time. So I have not read all the messages well, also because not being my English excellent, it takes me more time than you to read everything, if I want to understand all the words well.

Having said that, I had remained that after mathman Cristi would open a poll on catchy songs, and then Greg (Logan) would open the next one. 

Perhaps, however, sorry for the repetition, I missed something and Cristi no longer wants to open the poll on catchy songs, and so go ahead with Greg. 

I would like to clarify for all the rules that I think is good to keep. 

I initially suggested the non-prog catchy round but someone suggested a catchy prog would be interesting as well so I did that first (thank you to all that participated Tongue).
But like I said, with the guilty pleasure round, a new catchy round seems rather redundant. If everyone wants the non-prog catchy songs round, tell me and we can do that as well. 
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2020 at 12:24
I strongly believe that a "catchy non-prog songs" poll would be incredibly interesting and fun.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2020 at 12:27
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

I strongly believe that a "catchy non-prog songs" poll would be incredibly interesting and fun.

I can do it after Logan's and Lewian's if you want me to. Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2020 at 12:30
I sure do want. Star
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2020 at 12:30

I don't mind if you and Lewian go before me. As long as I can complete mine before August I'm fine, or possibly in September (that might be hard). I have a few ideas lined up, and one of them might be very surprising.

By the way, a master list of poll done here would be useful. I can put that together tomorrow in this topic.

I won't call out any names, but there are several people at the forum I really hope give this a shot. I any others want to go before me, that's fine too. Hopefully all those who wish to participate will get a turn at some time,and hopefully some others will want to participate.

Edited by Logan - July 04 2020 at 12:38
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2020 at 12:38

I don't mind if you and Lewian go before me. As long as I can do mine before August I'm fine, or in September.

I would love the soundtracks round to be next TBH.
Lewian has also made me very curious. 

My round can wait a bit, I don't mind. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2020 at 12:41

I don't mind if you and Lewian go before me. As long as I can do mine before August I'm fine, or in September.

I would love the soundtracks round to be next TBH.
Lewian has also made me very curious. 

My round can wait a bit, I don't mind. 

Okay, thanks, next week would be easiest for me, and I'll be away in August (not for the whole month -- yes, travel plans despite the pandemic).
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2020 at 13:11
time to perhaps put a paw down here..

- TCat
- Lewian
- Micky
- Raff
- Tapfret
- Lorenzo
- Cristi
- Mathman

think that is everyone.. in a general order

Greg is taking next week..

there are several other regulars who have not.. Nickie.. Shadowy.. Doc...Anders.. they should have the chance to do one if they want

before we go back to the top. 

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2020 at 13:26
I'm not sure actually whether I'd be the next in line except Logan and Cristi.
I'm also sorry if my post on pre-discussion of poll themes led some people to feel a bit awkward. Actually I don't have problems with non-surprise themes. What I meant to address was that I think it gets complicated when themes are discussed in advance too much and people who offered something feel that maybe they should change it to something else or wait for longer because of that. I'd be very happy to have a Logan soundtrack poll next, because that saves us from discussing what else to do, which may not be so easy.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2020 at 13:27
Ok, I'm in. I'll do a poll like "share your favourite song that Shadowyzard nominated in the previous polls". Thus I'll do mine after 20 polls or so, so that you all can nominate one awesomeness from my unmatched songs. I'll also add "all of them" option, and I'm sure that all of you will vote that one. Cool

Seriously though, count me in. Star
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 52>