Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Create Your Own Jon and Vangelis Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Create Your Own Jon and Vangelis Album
    Posted: June 27 2020 at 09:04
This is another one of my SHORT STORIES which CHRONICLES the PAGE OF LIFE of the featured artist in album titles. I'm proud to say I have all six Jon and Vangelis albums in my PRIVATE COLLECTION, including THE FRIENDS OF MR CAIRO. Here's your chance to put together your very own BEST OF JON AND VANGELIS compilation album. Simply choose *TWO* songs from each of their four studio albums listed below to create your own personalised eight-track album. The world is your lobster in the kingdom of prog, so go for it! Smile

4 stars 1981: Jon & Vangelis - The Friends of Mr Cairo - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LtJ1t-8bDOqVC7b9G1wDNFQ

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 20 2023 at 16:19
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2020 at 10:04
I Hear You Now
A Play within a Play
The Friends of Mr Cairo
State of Independence
Deborah
Horizons
Change we Must
Garden of Senses

Change we Must is from the alternate version of Play of Life which so upset Vangelis, indeed so upset him that they still don’t talk to this day. The version on Anderson’s solo play of the same name is, though, far superior to these ears.

Some pretty exceptional stuff in that list, but, taken as a whole, the collaboration to me was hit and miss. When it hit, superb, but when it missed very ordinary.

Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2020 at 10:28
My favourite Jon and Vangelis album is Private Collection, including the song "Horizon" which occupies the whole of Side 2. Ideally, I'd choose all six tracks from that album as my personal favourites, but that'd take all the fun out of creating a compilation album. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - June 27 2020 at 10:31
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2020 at 01:18
I'm going to 'cheat' because I don't like Page Of Life at all.

So Long Ago So Clear (From Vangelis 'Heaven and Hell')
I Hear You Now
A Play Within A Play
See You Later (from the Vangelis album of the same name ft Jon Anderson on vocals)
I'll Find My Way Home
The Friends Of Mr Cairo
He Is Sailing
Horizon

that last track is only way to finish a J&V 'bespoke' album!

Edited by richardh - June 28 2020 at 01:19
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2020 at 01:38
^^ I'm tempted to "cheat" too by choosing all six songs from the "Private Collection" album. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - June 28 2020 at 01:38
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 11:01
Hi,

I want his compositions that would have followed TFTO that were put on the back burner and never again used! He'll say that he has none, btw, but he has more left behind and wasted than he does in reality!

Vangelis, does not "travel" and does not "fly", so Jon would have to go to Greece for several months.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 23:36
1. I Hear You Now (Short Stories)
2. Play Within a Play (Short Stories)
3. I'll Find My Way Home (The Friends of Mr Cairo)
4. The Friends of Mr Cairo (The Friends of Mr Cairo)
5, He is Sailing (Private Collection)
6. Horizon (Private Collection)
7. Page of Life (Page of Life)
8. Is It Love (Page of Life)

Videos to follow shortly.....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 06:17
Two favourite songs from the "Short Stories" album.....

1. I Hear You Now

2. Play Within a Play

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 02 2020 at 06:18
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 09:10
Am I the only one here who thinks that Jon and Vangelis albums are boring...?
Throw money...no bricks please.....
Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 09:22
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Wink
Probably not, judging my the amount of interest this thread has generated so far. Tongue
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 11:58
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Wink
Probably not, judging my the amount of interest this thread has generated so far. Tongue

Hi,

I think that Vangelis really could not care about what some one at PA thought of his music ... specially when it is noted as "boring" ... well, Vangelis has an Oscar in his closet and he could give a damn about some nut at PA ... I don't think. He'll be polite about it and all that, but behind closed doors, he will compose yet another soundtrack that will end up getting noted by the Academy in film.

It's weird to see someone that is into "progressive" music say something is boring ... it would be better to say that he likes other things, but putting it down like that, is not cool. I'm not a metal or this and that fan, but I do not go around putting it down ... I might joke a little but I respect their right to do their work, and their ability to even put it together ... something that two thirds of the critics here do not have as far as I can tell.

It takes courage to create a lot of the stuff that is out on CD ... a lot of courage, dedication and work ... and all it takes is one nut to kill that artist ... kinda sad state of affairs when the respect for human creativity is trashed! Angry
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 13:05
Two favourite songs from "The Friends of Mr Cairo" album.....

3. I'll Find My Way Home

4. The Friends of Mr Cairo

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 22:55
Two favourite songs from the "Private Collection" album.....

5. He is Sailing

6. Horizon

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2020 at 01:51
Two final favourite songs from the "Page of Life" album:-

7. Page of Life

8. Is It Love

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2020 at 14:39

Wink

Music can only be boring to me if it's just the same all the time. Those first 3 albums are very creative albums with tons of ideas. They might even have written the best song of the 80's - State Of Independence. The Donna Summer and Chrissie Hinds covers bear some testament to that.  
However Vangelis collaboration with Irene Papas hits the spot a bit more, especially their first album Odes.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2020 at 09:42
Hi,

The more I thought about this ... the more I did not want to "go back" to the past, which is very much like Vangelis and his music and work.

I think I would like to raid his closet and walk away with a couple hours of music ... and have a big fight in my head which pieces I choose ... the shortest ones get left behind real quick! But there is an "Invisible Soundtrack" that exists that has never been released I bet, and I will find it, right?
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2020 at 11:51
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

The more I thought about this ... the more I did not want to "go back" to the past, which is very much like Vangelis and his music and work.

I know what you mean about not wanting to go back to the past. I wouldn't want to go "Back to School" either. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 18 2020 at 11:52
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2020 at 06:14
I found this marvellous song and video today on Jon Anderson's Official YouTube channel.....

Jon & Vangelis - Change We Must (from the US version of the "Page of Life" album)

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2020 at 10:07
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Wink

I think that Vangelis really could not care about what some one at PA thought of his music ... specially when it is noted as "boring" ... well, Vangelis has an Oscar in his closet and he could give a damn about some nut at PA ... I don't think.

It takes courage to create a lot of the stuff that is out on CD ... a lot of courage, dedication and work ... and all it takes is one nut to kill that artist ... kinda sad state of affairs when the respect for human creativity is trashed! Angry

That is offensive - finding albums "boring" doesn't make you a "nut". If this were directed at me I would be expecting an apology.
Oh hang on, I find some Pink Floyd albums "boring" too, I guess I must be a nut as well.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2022 at 11:22
^ .....And  on the subject of nuts.....

I was lying in bed listening to my Kid Creole & the COCONUTS album, which I picked up for PEANUTS from a charity shop. I needed to give my gorgeous Brazilian girlfriend, Hazel, a call. She drives the guys in BRAZIL NUTS with her lovely ALMOND eyes and lustrous CHESTNUT brown hair. Her father is a KERNEL in the Brazilian air force and she has a cute little PECANese dog. She's studying astronomy on a long-terM ACADAMIA course at university. Her speciality is the study of BETELgeuse, the largest star in our Milky Way galaxy. I'm going to visit IKEA soon to buy some WALNUT furniture, where they'll no doubt ask me if I'm paying by CASHEW cheque. Hazel & I are planning to watch our favourite comedy, ACORN Antiques, together later on DVD while we devour some delicious PISTACHIO ice cream. I'll probably tease her about her Brazilian accent again, which drives HAZEL-NUTSSmile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - June 02 2022 at 11:23
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>