Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Most Pretentious Over The Top Album That You Love!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Most Pretentious Over The Top Album That You Love!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most Pretentious Over The Top Album That You Love!
    Posted: June 29 2020 at 06:20
For me it's The Wall, with all of Waters' solo albums a close second.

Edited by SteveG - June 29 2020 at 06:21
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 06:38
Can you get more pretentious and OTT than Tales From Topographic Oceans?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 06:43
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Don't forget that you have to love it! If not, then you can't list it.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 07:00
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Don't forget that you have to love it! If not, then you can't list it.

I didn't forget, I do indeed love it. Every minute of it.

Edited by chopper - June 29 2020 at 07:00
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 07:16
The first two things that come to my mind are Trout Mask Replica and Pawn Hearts.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 07:24
Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt.2 Scenes From A Memory
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 07:33
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

The first two things that come to my mind are Trout Mask Replica and Pawn Hearts.

Thes two for me, plus Electric Masada - At The Mountains Of Madness
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 08:00
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I thought of Pawn Hearts, but while I do love it, I'm not sure how "pretentious over the top" it is (perhaps I'm too close to the album to be an unbiased judge of it).

One other album that comes to mind is MDK. Certainly over the top, but while I do like the album, I can't exactly say that I love it, certainly not all of it.

But when it comes to full-blown over the top, it would be hard to beat Brainticket - Cottonwood Hill.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 08:06
Tales For Toe-picking Orphans. Perhaps ELP's Works I, which is only a shade less ridiculous than the members of KISS releasing 4 separate matching albums for each member.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 08:22
The Myths and Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table by Rick Wakeman is everything and more that Prog's detractors claim it to be yet still manages to trample over good and bad taste with joyous abandon. If you can't tell there's shed-loads of tongue in cheek bravura at play here: check your pulse hipster.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 09:19
I would have to give Pictures At An Exhibition by ELP honorable mention as I do kinda like it. Sometimes. Embarrassed 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 10:45
Hi,

None!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 10:49
Most pretentious - Wolf City by Amon Düül II
Most over the top - Tardigrade by Simon Says
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 11:08
Mike Oldfield~Tubular Bells, went Gold in the US and I think sold a gazillion copies in the UK. Love the album but man could have been reduced to a 45rpm 7" single......LOL

Honorable Mentions:
JTull~TAAB
Dream Theater~Scenes
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 11:58
One of my favourite music genres: pretentious over-the-top prog! - YouTube albums coming up soon. Wink
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 12:48
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

The Myths and Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table by Rick Wakeman is everything and more that Prog's detractors claim it to be yet still manages to trample over good and bad taste with joyous abandon. If you can't tell there's shed-loads of tongue in cheek bravura at play here: check your pulse hipster.
OTT for sure - arguably not pretentious, though. 
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 23:53
Oooh, the dreaded P word! lol

I don't know, it very well may not be prog, at least the over the top part. Plenty of pop and rock has a habit of going three steps too far for attention or art's sake. For my money, it's gotta be something by Muse, probably The Resistance, though The 2nd Law goes further out.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 01:21

Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 01:30
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Nah, Benny The Bouncer breaks the illusion that they were taking it all too seriously.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 01:42
Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Nah, Benny The Bouncer breaks the illusion that they were taking it all too seriously.

damn that 2 minutes LOL

''we made it for our enemy ..brain salad surgery''
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>