Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Most Pretentious Over The Top Album That You Love!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Most Pretentious Over The Top Album That You Love!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most Pretentious Over The Top Album That You Love!
    Posted: February 06 2022 at 23:50
Most pretentious album that I love? I guess Myths and Legends of King Arthur, by Rick Wakeman.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2022 at 02:05
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Another contender maybe. Orchestra and each band member has a side. One is devoted to a piano concerto devised by a rock musician. No one is having any fun on this album , especially the listener Wink

See the source image

I'm having fun. Especially on Greg Lake's side. "Hallowed Be Thy Name" is seriously underrated. 
When it comes to over the top, happy prog, it's hard to beat Moon Safari's "Blumljud". Over a hundred minutes of "flowers bloom like madness in the Spring"

Edited by omphaloskepsis - February 05 2022 at 02:13
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2022 at 01:52
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

In the progressive electronic world, Kraftwerk's Autobahn. Pretentious, yes, but still a journey.
If something like Autobahn qualifies, I probably love loads. I think of it as ambitious, but not without their wonderfully German sense of humor (present on all their classic albums), which provides an endearing human warmth to their "cold soundscapes"... Which aren't really that cold.

...Ralf had a kind of German idea in mind,” Flür recalls. “Germany also needed something like The Beach Boys...

...The seven-line nursery rhyme describes the view over a sunlit valley, the colours of the grey road with its green-edged white stripes, and the sound of a car radio which plays the song’s refrain back to itself. A droll, self-referential feedback loop. But of course, the lyric mostly consists of the single childlike chant “Wir fahren fahren fahren auf der Autobahn” (“We drive drive drive on the motorway”) repeated over and over. Anglophone listeners were quick to make phonetic connection with the refrains in “Fun Fun Fun” and “Barbara Ann” by The Beach Boys. But although Kraftwerk were fans of their car-loving California cousins, Hütter insists “Autobahn” is not a sly homage....

...In the case of The Beach Boys, ‘Fun Fun Fun’ is about a T-Bird,” Hütter explains. “But ours is about a Volkswagen or Mercedes..
Steven Brodziak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steven Brodziak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2022 at 01:26
Saga 1981 World's Apart album.
Well, there it is. (Amadeus)
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2022 at 09:59
In the progressive electronic world, Kraftwerk's Autobahn. Pretentious, yes, but still a journey.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2022 at 08:07
I would probably say Rush’s “Caress of Steel”. There seems to be a lot of self-indulgence on this album, but because this pretentiousness was probably for the positive purpose of being daring and risky, I’ve always enjoyed it while most people pan it. Plus, I love the chord strum on Bastille Day, the bassline in The Necromancer, the chords in Fountain of Lamneth. Also, I think No One at the Bridge is one of the best early Rush songs because of the heartfelt lyrics just fitting the overall mood of the song.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2022 at 04:50
Not the biggest fan of "pomp", but this sort of qualifies:

Magma - Mëkanïk Dëstruktïẁ Kömmandöh

-but I do not think Christan Vander was "attempting to impress by affecting greater importance", which is what pretentious means - so not really.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2022 at 04:01
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Can you get more pretentious and OTT than Tales From Topographic Oceans?

I never liked "Brain Salad Surgery", or "Bull S**t S**t", as I call it, and not because of "Benny the Bouncer" (I actually like that song). What I dislike the most is that they split up "Karn Evil 9"; that really pisses me off. But the whole overall sound is bland and the musical colours used are dull and repetitive, unlike their other albums.

I may have missed this comment when it first got posted so addressing it now:

The splitting of KE9 was essential because they couldn't have released it as Vinyl and Cassette editions with a 15 minute Side One and 30 minute Side Two. CD (and MP3) re-issues have sorted this so it's not a problem anymore.

The bland sound is largely down to the production. Eddy Offord was no longer working with ELP and it shows badly. I do love the synths on Trilogy way more than BSS but the latter is still much the superior album in my book. It flows better and Carl Palmer was at his very peak , and the drums are probably what really makes it for me. For what its worth I would recommend the live triple version to you as it's a bit more 'meaty' sounding.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2022 at 12:14
The Wall, A Passion Play, and Tales From Topographical Oceans.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2022 at 10:33
nice thread
bump 
Frankh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2020 at 01:00
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Nope! It's my first pick coming into this thread. No reservations, no shame, that album is the pinnacle of what everyone despised about prog rock, and for that reason alone it's an artistic gem worthy of praise! Yes took it all the way. Those boys knew their power.

It's still boring as hell though. Cool

Hi,

Well, so is Mozart, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky and all that nazz ... so what else is knew? Did the sun come up? Embarrassed

Morning has broken...
Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2020 at 00:37
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

OTT Prog is my favorite Prog!!!

(Tales and The Lamb are my two favorite LP's ever...)

OOT prog all day, son! Go big or go home! I love the lines we draw in the sand though it's super interesting!

Originally posted by satanellus satanellus wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Nope! It's my first pick coming into this thread. No reservations, no shame, that album is the pinnacle of what everyone despised about prog rock, and for that reason alone it's an artistic gem worthy of praise! Yes took it all the way. Those boys knew their power.

It's still boring as hell though. Cool

Nah it's just more Yes music for my ears, I love it all Wink.

Fantastic for driving long distances lol.

It's really sh*t for driving short distances though.

"Just leaving home now. I'll be there in 5 minutes."

"Where the f**k have you been? You said you'd be here an hour and a quarter ago!"

"I'm gonna loop the block, I still have 3:54 left of "Revealing Science of God."" Cool

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Droxford View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Droxford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2020 at 13:57
Yes good points. Mike Oldfield may well  have got so immersed in recording 'Incantations' and not realised that there was an assault on Prog going on . The whole rise of Punk and New Wave  was probably more of an issue for new Prog bands starting out and lesser known bands then Mike Oldfield-just looking at Britain. 
Possibly the 'pushing it as far as it could go'  album must be ELP 'Works Volume 1' complete with a piano concerto . Not a release that I love ,but admire the sheer brashness of the band. 

[]

Oldifeld locked himself away for 9 months to record this so was probably not that 'brave' and may not even have realised that music was changing. He certainly 'rectified' that on Platinum. Incantations is a desert island disc for me. I love it but he was certainly pushing it as far as it could go. That was probably the last really OTT album of the seventies (well until The Wall)
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2020 at 10:14
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I know they aren't a lot of people's cup of tea, but I am surprised no one mentioned The Mars Volta's Frances the Mute. Yes, it IS pretentious and OTT as hell, but it is also the album that made me fall in love with the band.

Good call! Not the biggest fan of the voice, but otherwise indeed, pretentious and cool.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2020 at 08:58
anything in the last 12 years by Nightwish, perhaps Imaginearum being the best
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2020 at 08:41
OTT Prog is my favorite Prog!!!

(Tales and The Lamb are my two favorite LP's ever...)
The Prog Corner
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2020 at 23:50
Originally posted by Droxford Droxford wrote:

Mike Oldfield's 'Incantations' .....There are some great ideas spread a bit too thin for a double album, but I wouldn't change it. And having Maddy Prior singing  a piece based on  Longfellow's 'The Song of Hiawatha' and a choir singing the Ben Johnson poem 'Diana' with an orchestra featured throughout seems a brave move in 1978 when there was a backlash against Prog.  Sections of  the album  have a subdued almost type disco beat, particularly in part one.  Very fond of this album 

Oldifeld locked himself away for 9 months to record this so was probably not that 'brave' and may not even have realised that music was changing. He certainly 'rectified' that on Platinum. Incantations is a desert island disc for me. I love it but he was certainly pushing it as far as it could go. That was probably the last really OTT album of the seventies (well until The Wall)

Edited by richardh - July 05 2020 at 23:50
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2020 at 23:29
I quess Wigwam´s Fairyport is also pretentious if Trout is too...

Edited by Mortte - July 05 2020 at 23:30
Droxford View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Droxford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2020 at 14:40
Mike Oldfield's 'Incantations' .....There are some great ideas spread a bit too thin for a double album, but I wouldn't change it. And having Maddy Prior singing  a piece based on  Longfellow's 'The Song of Hiawatha' and a choir singing the Ben Johnson poem 'Diana' with an orchestra featured throughout seems a brave move in 1978 when there was a backlash against Prog.  Sections of  the album  have a subdued almost type disco beat, particularly in part one.  Very fond of this album 
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2020 at 11:14
I know they aren't a lot of people's cup of tea, but I am surprised no one mentioned The Mars Volta's Frances the Mute. Yes, it IS pretentious and OTT as hell, but it is also the album that made me fall in love with the band.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>