Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Most Pretentious Over The Top Album That You Love!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Most Pretentious Over The Top Album That You Love!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 01:49
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

The Myths and Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table by Rick Wakeman is everything and more that Prog's detractors claim it to be yet still manages to trample over good and bad taste with joyous abandon. If you can't tell there's shed-loads of tongue in cheek bravura at play here: check your pulse hipster.
OTT for sure - arguably not pretentious, though. 

I agree with you. It's just a very lazy association of ideas propagated by the 'trendier than thou' in our culture.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 02:02
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Can you get more pretentious and OTT than Tales From Topographic Oceans?

Nope! It's my first pick coming into this thread. No reservations, no shame, that album is the pinnacle of what everyone despised about prog rock, and for that reason alone it's an artistic gem worthy of praise! Yes took it all the way. Those boys knew their power.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 03:07
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Nope! It's my first pick coming into this thread. No reservations, no shame, that album is the pinnacle of what everyone despised about prog rock, and for that reason alone it's an artistic gem worthy of praise! Yes took it all the way. Those boys knew their power.

It's still boring as hell though. Cool
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 03:21

The Myths and Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table by Rick Wakeman is everything and more that Prog's detractors claim it to be yet still manages to trample over good and bad taste with joyous abandon. If you can't tell there's shed-loads of tongue in cheek bravura at play here: check your pulse hipster.

I agree with you. It's just a very lazy association of ideas propagated by the 'trendier than thou' in our culture.
I don't know if you read the recent Vanity Fair piece, but my favourite nugget was that the show wasn't originally intended to be done on ice. It was just that Rick was dead set to do it at the Empire Pool in Wembley. But Brian Lane told him it was no go as the Ice Follies had booked the venue for a number of months and turned it into a skating rink. Wakeman, undeterred by considerations of mere sanity, promptly began to devise a plan to put the whole extravaganza on ice...
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 04:08
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Nah it's just more Yes music for my ears, I love it all Wink.

Fantastic for driving long distances lol.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 04:12

can't figure out what OTT means Embarrassed
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 04:14
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

OTT = Over The Top (meaning excessive, extravagant, beyond the usual norms of good taste and common sense...).

Edited by Mascodagama - June 30 2020 at 04:16
Bandcamp Profile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 04:20

OTT = Over The Top (meaning excessive, extravagant, beyond the usual norms of good taste and common sense...).

I know what over the top means LOL
some abbreviations are obvious, some are not. 

which prog artists jumped the shark, musically that is? LOL
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 05:02

LOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 05:05

I think when applied to rock music the correct term is "jumped the Shark Sandwich"...
Bandcamp Profile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 05:07

I think when applied to rock music the correct term is "jumped the Shark Sandwich"...

LOL
served with French fries and pickles? 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 07:53

Hi,

Well, so is Mozart, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky and all that nazz ... so what else is knew? Did the sun come up? Embarrassed
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 07:59

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 08:52
Okay, as promised, here's the first of my pretentious over-the-top prog album choices, and I absolutely love it! Smile

FIRST+AID - Nostradamus (1976) - Album Review:- https://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=2283625

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 00:19
Another contender maybe. Orchestra and each band member has a side. One is devoted to a piano concerto devised by a rock musician. No one is having any fun on this album , especially the listener Wink

See the source image

Edited by richardh - July 01 2020 at 00:20
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 00:29
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I never liked "Brain Salad Surgery", or "Bull S**t S**t", as I call it, and not because of "Benny the Bouncer" (I actually like that song). What I dislike the most is that they split up "Karn Evil 9"; that really pisses me off. But the whole overall sound is bland and the musical colours used are dull and repetitive, unlike their other albums.

As for a pretentious albums I love: This:

Edited by BaldFriede - July 01 2020 at 11:54

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 10:13
If OTT means cheesy and slightly ridiculous, then I guess I will have to nominate Into The Electric Castle by Ayreon (or possibly other Ayreon albums)...

Love them to bits, but yes they're OTT!!!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 10:54
Wakeman - Journey to the Centre of the Earth. Love it to bits though.
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 11:25
Agreed.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 13:16
I almost forgot! Welcome - Welcome (1976). It's super over the top and the lyrics are pretentious as hell. But darn. It's an awesome album.
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>